Ratnapura - Sri Lanka's City of Gems and Waterfalls
Duration: Half Day
Located in the Indian Ocean, off the south-eastern tip of India, the beautiful tropical island of Sri Lanka (also called Ceyclon) is famously known as the “Island of Gems” due to its long history of gem-mining and trading, dating back over 2,000 years. This fascinating tour will introduce you to the natural treasures of Ratnapura, where you find precious gems, beautiful scenery and spectacular wildlife on a journey to remember.
Your tour will begin with a leisurely drive southeast of Colombo to the bustling market town of Ratnapura, Sri Lanka’s famous gem mining centre. Literally meaning “City of Gems” ("ratna" meaning gems and "pura" meaning city), Ratnapura has the greatest concentration of gems in the world. These precious stones include familiar and exotic gems such as rubies, chrysoberyl, aquamarines, alexandrite, topaz, moonstone, spinel, amethyst, tourmaline, and zircon. The most famous island gems are sapphires, which come in a variety of colours such as Ceylon Blue, Pushparaga (yellow), Padparadscha (orange-pink), green, orange, pink, purple and white.
Ratnapura is also a popular eco tourism destination, drawing nature lovers to its lush landscapes and spectacular flora and flora. Nature trails, hiking, cycling, bird watching, and wildlife safaris are just the activities that visitors can enjoy here. The Ratnapura district boasts of a large number of waterfalls, some of which we will visit on this trip. Set amongst tea plantations, rivers and mountainous flora and fauna, the natural beauty is breathtaking.
The nearby Sinharaja Rain Forest Reserve is Sri Lanka’s largest rainforest and one of the best places on the island for wildlife spotting. It is considered one of the most biologically diversified natural rainforests in the world, and was designated an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1989. This beautiful reserve hosts 95% of Sri Lanka’s endemic bird species, whilst hundreds of mammal, butterflies, insects, reptiles and rare amphibians can also be spotted here.
If you are visiting Ratapura in August, you can enjoy one of Sri Lanka’s most beautiful, vibrant and oldest events – the annual Perahara of Saman Devalaya. Similar to the Kandy Perahera, this traditional, two-week festival takes place at Ratnapura Saman Devalaya, one of Sri Lanka’s most sacred shrines dedicated to God Sumana Saman Deviyo.
Elephants are the main focus of Sri Lankan religious festivals as they are considered divine animals in Buddhism and Hinduism. Watch these ornately decorated gentle giants leading the procession as hundreds of dancers, drummers, musicians and Devala officials follow. This is an unforgettable experience not to be missed if you are taking a holiday in Sri Lanka at this time.
Sri Lanka Holidays Browse all
Combine discovering the rainforests, temples and fishing villages of Sri Lanka's west coast, with exploring the infamous cutting edge developments in Dubai, within one invigorating holiday.
- Indulge in tropical beauty, culture and history in Sri Lanka.
- Surround yourself with cutting edge opulence in Dubai.
- Cheerful and exotic, yet affordable.
Jet off to a tropical sandy hideaway in Sri Lanka, then to extravagant Dubai, for a holiday to remember
Combine basking on a tropical, Sri Lankan beach, with exploring the Arabian extravaganza that is Dubai.
- Savour your stay in the historic district of Deira, celebrating views over the Arabian Gulf and Dubai glamour
- Revel in 5* accommodation, ensuring a luxurious stay in total comfort
- Enjoy a stay along a beautiful, tropical, sun-kissed stretch of beach in Sri Lanka
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventurer's dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Take advantage of this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
The ideal mix of Sri Lankan culture with the Highlights of Sri Lanka tour and a beach relaxation and vibrant Dubai
Enjoy a private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy followed by a beach stay
- Get the chance to visit Sri Lanka's archaeological World Heritage Sites recognized by UNESCO, which are ancient cities of Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa & Kandy
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- Combine this trip with a stopover in Dubai with a newly opened hotel in a primary location opposite of Burj Khalifa
You will enjoy a perfect mix of beach and city in this attractive selection of hotel and destinations. Mermaid Hotel and...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...
Experience a warm Sri Lankan welcome at the Jetwing Blue Hotel. Surrounded by lush tropical gardens & a golden sand...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
The Mermaid Hotel & Club's serene surroundings and secluded atmosphere offer an experience of calm relaxation. This...
The place where "space meets light", the Tangerine Beach Hotel is a heavenly fusion of modern and ancient elegant...
With the most strikingly beautiful of settings, amongst green coconut groves and facing the golden sands just at the...
Jetwing Beach Resort sits beside a beautiful sun kissed stretch of beach, just outside the coastal town of Negombo. The...
Vivanta by Taj Bentota is located on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka beside the golden mile beach at Bentota. Set on a...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka NewsBrowse all Sri Lanka News
The Sri Lankan capital of Colombo will soon have a new luxury property, the InterContinental Colombo. Scheduled to open in 2019, the new property will be centrally located on Colombo's Galle Road and is expected to be the tallest hotel tower in the city.
The luxurious Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo in Sri Lanka has announced the launch of its urban safari experiences. The unique bespoke experiences have been created to take guests off the beaten path, and include tuk-tuk rides through Colombo, gemstone sessions with a local expert, a tour of four Buddhist temples, and walking tours of the city at sunset.
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed a new General Manager. George Koumendakos has taken over the role at the luxury five-star hotel in Colombo city centre, and he brings more than 30 years of experience in the hospitality sector to the position. The hotel opened in January 2016 and has 219 guest rooms and suites, a spa, a rooftop bar, themed restaurant and an infinity pool.