St Lucia - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Do they accept credit cards in St Lucia?
- Where are the best beaches?
- When is the Jazz Festival?
When is the best time to go?
The best time of year to visit St Lucia is between December and March, when the island experiences its driest weather. Despite being the winter season, temperatures remain at a very pleasant 27 degrees Celsius on average. The summer months are hotter and the hurricane season falls between June and October, which often brings wetter weather if not tropical storms.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens don't need a visa to enter St Lucia on visits of up to 42 days. You'll need to apply for an extension from the immigration department if you want to stay longer. Your passport should also be valid for at least six months from your date of entry to the country. The same rules apply to visitors with European nationality as well as from a few other countries. To see the official list of countries exempt from visa when travelling to St Lucia visit the Caribbean nation's official government webpage.
How can I get there?
Virgin Atlantic and British Airways both offer direct flights to St Lucia, while there are many other airlines that also offer connections from the US, including American Airlines and Delta Airlines, while LIAT offers flights to St Lucia from elsewhere in the Caribbean. The average flight time from the UK to St Lucia, without any stops, is eight and a half hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollar, which is pegged to the US dollar. US dollars are widely accepted across the island, although you'll normally be given change in EC dollars. You can easily exchange foreign currency in St Lucia's banks.
What is there to see and do?
As well as a gorgeous Caribbean coastline, St Lucia boasts some stunning mountain and rainforest landscapes. You can head into the island's interior for fantastic hiking routes along verdant forest paths and past beautiful waterfalls. Don't miss the chance to visit Soufriere Volcano - the only drive-in volcanic crater in the world. There are numerous nature reserves across the island, each of which will allow you to get close to some of St Lucia's fascinating wildlife while enjoying the breathtaking natural scenery. Horse-back riding and cycling are other ways to get around if you don't fancy hiking. On the coast, you'll have access to a range of water sports, including windsurfing, water skiing and sailing. Scuba diving is also popular in St Lucia's clear waters, with dive sites suitable for beginners as those with some experience. St Lucia is also a wonderful place to get under the skin of West Indian culture, with its warm and friendly people, its flavourful cuisine and colourful he
Do they accept credit cards in St Lucia?
Most major credit cards are widely accepted in St Lucia, with Visa, MasterCard and American Express being among the ones that you can use here.
Where are the best beaches?
There are lots of stunning beaches on St Lucia, with the island's east coast fringed by the Atlantic Ocean while its western side is lapped by the Caribbean Sea. One of the best beaches on the island is the ever-popular Rodney Bay, which can be found in the northern coast. As well as a stunning stretch of sand, there are lots of restaurants and bars here, in addition to a high-end marina.
When is the Jazz Festival?
The date of the St Lucia Jazz Festival varies each year, although in 2014 it is expected to take place from 30th April to 11th May. It is usually scheduled in May but it's always advisable to check the precise dates with one of our travel advisors before you book if you're keen on attending this vibrant and colourful event.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at the luxurious Bay Gardens Beach Resort
- Book 7 nights and get US$150 Resort Credit per room category per stay
- Two Kids (4-12 years) stay and eat free
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its breathtaking views and its golden sand
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Save upto 32% off on all room types
- Complimentary activities available, non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- All Inclusive beachfront resort in Choc Bay with 6 restaurants, 6 bars and a cafe to choose from
- FLASH Sale still on with savings of up to £300 per person in all room types
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with an adults section and family section complete with St Lucia's only water park
- Includes $1000 resort credit to be used in resort on Spa treatments, upgrades and more
- Extended offer of up to 70% off on all room types when staying plus up to 2 Kids stay and play FREE
Enjoy your stay in Anse Chastanet, the only resort with the iconic view of both Pitons mountains as they rise from the azure Caribbean Sea
- St. Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both the Piti & Gros Piton mountains floating upon the Caribbean Sea
- Savings of up to 35% on all room types
- A private estate of 600 lush tropical acres with two soft-sand Caribbean beaches with unspoiled coral reefs just offshore
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia, taking advantage of a hotel designed for romanceing
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
- Summer Sale now extended and revised with discounted savings for stays until 2019 of up to 52%
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
Indulge in blissful serenity in St Lucia at your own private plunge pool now with extra resort inclusions
Pamper yourself in St Lucia at the all new Premium Adults Only, All Inclusive Serenity at Coconut Bay
- Mega British Airways Sale - Upgrade to Premium from £349 and Club World from £1199 book before 24th Sep 2018
- The privacy of your own private plunge pool and hammock
- Incredible discounts of up to 65% off plus a Complimentary Grand Romance Package worth $1000 with inclusions from Champagne & Jazz Sunset Cruise, Couples Massage and more
- Relish attentive Butler service for 24hr room service, laundry and more
Spend a few days at the prestigious Bay Garden Beach Resort and discover the touristic delights of St. Lucia. The...
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway at Rendezvous you and your loved one have always fantasised about with a stay on the...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Situated in the heart of Gros Islet is the magnificent Bay Gardens Inn, a classy resort set in lush tropical gardens....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings out...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the all-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...
Nestled within lush tropical gardens, the Bel Jou Hotel St. Lucia boasts stunning, elevated views over Castries and the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
The award-winning Jade Mountain resort in St Lucia could soon have a new sister resort. The owners of the luxurious Jade Mountain and Anse Chastanet sister properties have revealed plans to develop the new Jade Sea resort. The new resort would be separated from Jade Mountain by a ridge, and it would face the Pitons and would be fully open on the south side, with 24 guest rooms and suites.
Travel+Leisure magazine has named Jade Mountain in St Lucia as the leading resort in St Lucia in the 2018 World's Best Awards. The luxurious hotel was ranked in first place in the St Lucia category and second place in the Caribbean, Bermuda, and the Bahamas category. Voted for by readers of the magazine, the tropical resort was also ranked 56 in the world in the awards.
The Ladera Resort in St Lucia has been ranked in fifth place in Travel + Leisure's World's Best Awards' Caribbean Resort Hotels category. The luxury eco-resort was also rated the second top hotel in St Lucia and was praised by readers for its romantic setting and unique accommodation. The property sits on a forested ridge 1,100 feet above the sea and boasts views of the majestic Pitons.