Cancun Travel Guide
Mexico has a culture of festivity and celebration, which can be a great attraction to visitors. To make the most of the fiesta atmosphere, try aiming for the following dates when booking your next holiday to Mexico:
- 16th September, Independence day: where flags wave from the buildings and coloured lights adorn the streets.
- 1st and 2nd November, Mexican Day of the Dead: Colourful altars are made to honour the dead, accompanied by music and feasting.
- 16th December, Las Posadas: Candlelit processions to honour the journey that Joseph and Mary took in the lead up to Christmas.
National holidays and other celebrations:
- New Year's Day: 1st January.
- Mexican Constitution Day: 5th February. Celebrates the 1857 and 1917 Constitutions after Mexico achieved their independency from Spain.
- Birth of Benito Juarez: Third Monday in March. The birthday of a national hero.
- Easter: Between the end of March and the end of April.
- Labour Day (May Day):1st May.
- Independence Day: 16th September. Celebrates the Independence War against colonial Spanish rule.
- Revolution Day: Third Monday of November. Start of the Mexican Revolution.
- Change of Federal Government: December. Once every six years.
- Christmas Day: 25th December.
The local currency in Cancun, and the rest of Mexico, is the Mexican peso ($ or MXN). US Dollars are also widely accepted.
- For the best rates, bring British pounds to exchange into pesos at local banks.
- If using dollars, you may find you pay more for your goods, so we recommend using pesos.
- ATM machines accept international cards and charge a small fee for withdrawals.
- Credit cards can be used in many restaurants and shops and offer you an excellent rate.
Spicy Mexican food is the obvious thing to try but it's possible to find virtually every cuisine in the world at Cancun's eclectic restaurants. We highly recommend venturing out for a meal.
For the most authentic cuisine, small local restaurants guarantee the most genuine, homemade Mexican meals. The most traditional local fare you can get in Cancun is Yucatecan cuisine - a blend of Mexican and European flavours, which are mouth-wateringly tasty.
Fish lovers will be pleased to find an incredible selection of seafood restaurants scattered around the city and, for the highest level of culinary sophistication and variety, we love the three AAA Five Diamond Restaurants in Cancun, two of which are found inside the Ritz Carlton Cancun and the other at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach.
Downtown Cancun, also known as ‘El Centro' is home to many excellent restaurants. Along Avenida Tulum and on Calle Yaxchilan you'll find a line-up of fantastic eateries, which tend to be far cheaper than those in the Cancun Strip and allow you to really soak up the typical Mexican atmosphere. You might even be serenaded by an authentic band of Mariachis.
Cancun is hot and sunny all year round, with temperatures hovering around 25°C throughout all seasons. With minimal climate variation; Cancun holidays are popular throughout the year.
- The most pleasant time to visit is usually between December and April, when temperatures are a little milder and rain infrequent.
- The rainy season occurs between May and October, with May and June seeing peak temperatures and the highest humidity levels.
- The dry season runs from February to early May, with only the odd scattered shower.
- Cancun is located inside the hurricane belt and, although high strength hurricanes are rarely seen here, they are most likely to hit in September and October.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Experience unlimited all-inclusive luxury 24 hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Activities For All Ages To Enjoy Day And Night
- All-inclusive Unlimited-Luxury® concept
- Amazing beachfront Resort
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heartbeat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Close to historic ruins of Tulum
- On secluded white sand beach
- Unlimited-Luxury® Included
No luxury is spared at the TRS Coral Hotel – enjoy gourmet a la carte dining, elegant suites and more!
- Ticket for Chic Cabaret Included
- Private Transfers Included
- Exclusive Butler Service
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable
- Wide choice of dining options
- Kids and Teens Stay Free
- Up to $2,500 Resort Credit
Indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets the Vine, a haven of natural beauty
- Adults-Only Hotel
- 5* Adults Only Resort in the heart of Cancun
- Unlimited-Luxury® including gourmet dining
A secluded location at a beautiful all-inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Amazing reductions up to 55% off
- Set in a secluded location in Riviera Maya
- All Suite all Adults-Only romantic resort
Escape the real world for a while and plunge yourself into the Caribbean paradise of Cancuns all-inclusive, adults-only...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Located on the pristine beach of Costa Mujeres just a short drive away from the vibrant city of Cancún, the TRS Coral...
Discover a world of entertainment at the all-inclusive All Ritmo Cancun Resort and Waterpark in Cancun, Mexico, and join...
If you’re looking for a rejuvenating Caribbean holiday, look no further than the Iberostar Tucan, built among lush...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
Positioned right at the heart of the Cancun Hotel Zone, Reflect Krystal Grand Cancun is a fabulous hotel beautifully set...
Enjoy the many amazing facilities of the all-inclusive Iberostar Paraiso del Mar resort and delight yourself with the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
Atelier de Hoteles has put a new spin on the idea of an all-inclusive. The resort chain located on Mexico’s Caribbean coast now offers a highly personalised guest experience. Each of the chain’s properties offers guests the opportunity to create a luxurious retreat that is tailored to their particular wishes.
RIU Hotels & Resorts recently opened its second hotel located on the edge of the Bahia de Mujeres in Costa Mujeres, along with the Caribbean coast of Mexico. The new property has an innovative design focused on providing guests with views of the Caribbean from as many points of view as possible.
A new Velas Resorts property, Mar del Cabo, will open in early December. The new resort is located next to the Grand Velas Los Cabos and is one of several properties owned by Grand Velas in Mexico and the Caribbean, many of which are highly rated.