A practical guide to Cancun
Mexico has a culture of festivity and celebration, which can be a great attraction to visitors. To make the most of the fiesta atmosphere, try aiming for:
- 16th September, Independence day: where flags wave from the buildings and coloured lights adorn the streets.
- 1st and 2nd November, Mexican Day of the Dead: Colourful altars are made to honour the dead, accompanied by music and feasting.
- 16th December, Las Posadas: Candlelit processions to honour the journey that Joseph and Mary took in the lead up to Christmas.
National holidays and other celebrations:
- New Year's Day: 1st January.
- Mexican Constitution Day: 5th February. Celebrates the 1857 and 1917 Constitutions after Mexico achieved their independency from Spain.
- Birth of Benito Juarez: Third Monday in March. The birthday of a national hero.
- Easter: Between the end of March and the end of April.
- Labour Day (May Day):1st May.
- Independence Day: 16th September. Celebrates the Independence War against colonial Spanish rule.
- Revolution Day: Third Monday of November. Start of the Mexican Revolution.
- Change of Federal Government: December. Once every six years.
- Christmas Day: 25th December.
The local currency in Cancun, and the rest of Mexico, is the Mexican peso ($ or MXN). US Dollars are also widely accepted.
- For the best rates, bring British pounds to exchange into pesos at local banks.
- If using dollars, you may find you pay more for your goods, so we recommend using pesos.
- ATM machines accept international cards and charge a small fee for withdrawals.
- Credit cards can be used in many restaurants and shops and offer you an excellent rate.
Spicy Mexican food is the obvious thing to try but it's possible to find virtually every cuisine in the world at Cancun's eclectic restaurants. We highly recommend venturing out for a meal.
For the most authentic cuisine, small local restaurants guarantee the most genuine, homemade Mexican meals. The most traditional local fare you can get in Cancun is Yucatecan cuisine - a blend of Mexican and European flavours, which are mouth-wateringly tasty.
Fish lovers will be pleased to find an incredible selection of seafood restaurants scattered around the city and, for the highest level of culinary sophistication and variety, we love the three AAA Five Diamond Restaurants in Cancun, two of which are found inside the Ritz Carlton Cancun and the other at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach.
Downtown Cancun, also known as ‘El Centro' is home to many excellent restaurants. Along Avenida Tulum and on Calle Yaxchilan you'll find a line-up of fantastic eateries, which tend to be far cheaper than those in the Cancun Strip and allow you to really soak up the typical Mexican atmosphere. You might even be serenaded by an authentic band of Mariachis.
Cancun is hot and sunny all year round, with temperatures hovering around 25°C throughout all seasons. With minimal climate variation; Cancun holidays are popular throughout the year.
- The most pleasant time to visit is usually between December and April, when temperatures are a little milder and rain infrequent.
- The rainy season occurs between May and October, with May and June seeing peak temperatures and the highest humidity levels.
- The dry season runs from February to early May, with only the odd scattered shower.
- Cancun is located inside the hurricane belt and, although high strength hurricanes are rarely seen here, they are most likely to hit in September and October.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heartbeat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more!
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Discover a world of entertainment at the all-inclusive All Ritmo Cancun Resort and Waterpark in Cancun, Mexico, and join...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury at Oasis Cancun Lite, surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting. Your...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with a stay at Oasis Palm on Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
Hard Rock Hotels and Resorts has announced that bookings are now officially open for the new Hard Rock Los Cabos in Mexico. Bookings can be made for travel starting from May 2019. The luxury resort has 639 guest rooms, as well as signature Hard Rock facilities including the Rock Spa, Body Rock fitness centre, six swimming pools, eight restaurants and three lounges.
Mexico's Baja Peninsula is now home to a new 128-room beachfront resort designed to reflect its Mexican surrounds. The new Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos opened this month and features five swimming pools, five restaurant and lounging areas, a local art gallery, a spa and bespoke excursions for guests.
The winner of Iron Chef Canada 2014, Xavier Perez Stone has just been appointed Executive Chef of the Cueva Siete Restaurant, part of the UNICO 20 87 hotel complex in Mexico's Riviera Maya. After having successfully overseen Playa del Carmen's Axiote restaurant, Chef Xavier will add his culinary prestige to the adults-only, all-inclusive property, famous for its bright spaces, cultural immersion experiences and spontaneous concept.