Mexico and Cancun - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- How far is the airport from Cancun?
- How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
- What is the drinking age?
When is the best time to go?
If you're visiting Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula, the best time of year to travel is between November and March, when the climate is not overly humid and the temperatures are a little cooler. Mid-August to mid-October is the rainy season, and you can expect showers most afternoons during this period. Mexico also experiences its hurricane season from around June to November.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and EU citizens don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but you do need to get a tourist card. You will be given this on arrival once you've filled out your immigration form, which will be given to you on-board during your flight or at border crossings. The tourist card will be valid for up to 180 days and you will need this card when you leave the country, so make sure you keep it in a safe place. Otherwise, if you lose it, you still will be able to replace it but at a cost of $295 Mexican Pesos (around £14).
How can I get there?
There are several airlines that offer direct flights from various UK airports to Cancun. You can depart from London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the East Midlands, as well as several other airports around the country. Carriers providing regular schedule flights to Cancun include British Airways and Virgin Atlantic while Thomson Flights and Thomas Cook operate charter services between Cancun and the UK, with flights departing regularly throughout the week. The average flight time is between eight and nine hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are easy to exchange should you wish to take foreign currency with you. Sterling, Euros and Canadian dollars can also be changed at most banks. Major credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout the country, particularly in the main tourist destinations like Cancun. It is also easy to find ATMs that accept foreign cards in Mexico's main cities and most popular tourism spots.
What is there to see and do?
There is a lot to see and do in Mexico, particularly around Cancun and in the rest of the Yucatan Peninsula. This destination on Mexico's coast is renowned for its stunning beaches, unspoilt rainforest and fascinating historical attractions. Some of the country's most famous Mayan ruins are here - including the UNESCO-listed Chichen Itza and lesser known sites such as Tulum and Ek Balam. Tours from Cancun can easily be arranged to visit one or more of these spectacular landmarks. Active holidaymakers will love Cancun, as there are so many sports to try. There are several world-class golf courses in the city, while in the rainforest you can go hiking, horseback riding or go on a canopy zipline tour through the trees. Mexico's coast is a haven for snorkellers and scuba divers, with Cancun even boasting its own underwater sculpture park. Kayaking and sailing are two of the other water sports on offer in this part of the country. Just off the coast of Cancun there are some beautiful island
How far is the airport from Cancun?
The airport is 7.5 miles from downtown Cancun and 12.5 miles from the heart of the hotel zone. The drive takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on which hotel you're staying in.
How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
The cost of a taxi between hotels in the hotel zone varies between 50 and 80 pesos per journey (which is the equivalent of approximately £2 to £4).
What is the drinking age?
The drinking age in Mexico is 18 years, with all people wishing to buy or consume alcohol expected to provide proof of age.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heartbeat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more!
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
Perfect beach location in sunny Cancun to enjoy this all-inclusive holiday of a lifetime
- There is something for everyone on offer at the resort including 6 restaurants, 3 snack bars, 9 bars including 2 swim up bars
- Haven Riviera Cancun has an amazing location between Riviera Maya and Cancun on a stretch of uncrowded pristine beach
- Why not make your holiday extra special by upgrading to the Serenity Club which offers guests private check in and lounge, beachfront accommodation and extra VIP services and amenities.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Discover a world of entertainment at the all-inclusive All Ritmo Cancun Resort and Waterpark in Cancun, Mexico, and join...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury at Oasis Cancun Lite, surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting. Your...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with a stay at Oasis Palm on Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
Hard Rock Hotels and Resorts has announced that bookings are now officially open for the new Hard Rock Los Cabos in Mexico. Bookings can be made for travel starting from May 2019. The luxury resort has 639 guest rooms, as well as signature Hard Rock facilities including the Rock Spa, Body Rock fitness centre, six swimming pools, eight restaurants and three lounges.
Mexico's Baja Peninsula is now home to a new 128-room beachfront resort designed to reflect its Mexican surrounds. The new Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos opened this month and features five swimming pools, five restaurant and lounging areas, a local art gallery, a spa and bespoke excursions for guests.
The winner of Iron Chef Canada 2014, Xavier Perez Stone has just been appointed Executive Chef of the Cueva Siete Restaurant, part of the UNICO 20 87 hotel complex in Mexico's Riviera Maya. After having successfully overseen Playa del Carmen's Axiote restaurant, Chef Xavier will add his culinary prestige to the adults-only, all-inclusive property, famous for its bright spaces, cultural immersion experiences and spontaneous concept.