Costa Rica: a year-round destination
Due to its location being close to the equator, Costa Rica has a pleasant climate all-year-round, which means you can book your break at any time. Of course, there are differences in the weather, with the country experiencing wet and dry seasons.
The other thing to bear in mind when you're planning your holiday to Costa Rica is that the climate can vary quite considerably between different places within the nation. For instance, the hottest temperatures are typically experienced on the coasts, while in the mountain highlands it can be considerably colder (as low as 0 degrees C on the highest peaks).
As well as differences in temperature, the amount of rainfall and humidity varies quite significantly between Costa Rica's regions. For example, in the highland city of Monteverde it is foggy and misty all year round, while the highlands also experience the highest average rainfall.
Travel to the Guanacaste province in the lowlands, meanwhile, and you will discover a dry climate with temperatures averaging 26 degrees C. In terms of the coastal regions, the humidity is higher on the east coast - which borders the Caribbean Sea - than on the west, where Costa Rica meets the Pacific Ocean.
When should I book a holiday to Costa Rica?
The most popular time of year for tours of Costa Rica is during the dry season, which begins in December and ends in April. In spite of this, as we've explained above, it's possible to travel here at any time of the year and still have a very enjoyable holiday. During the rainy season, which lasts from May to November, it is usually warm and sunny in the morning with the rain arriving in the afternoon.
Even within these seasons there is variation, though. November, December and January are the coolest months, while March to May is the hottest period. In terms of rain, June and July are the wettest months of the year.
It is also worth noting that Costa Rica's Caribbean coast has its own microclimate, with temperatures fluctuating between 23 and 30 degrees C, while the high humidity means rain is possible at any time.
Preparing for your tour of Costa Rica
As you can tell, there is a lot of variety in Costa Rica's climate, which means you should be prepared for different kinds of weather if you intend to travel around the country. As Costa Rica is relatively small, it's possible to experience several of its microclimates in the space of a single day.
No matter when you travel, a light waterproof jacket will come in handy, especially if you intend to head into the mountains. If you are planning to explore at higher altitudes, take layers of clothing to ensure you stay warm in the cooler temperatures. Beachwear and light, breathable clothing will be the order of the day when you visit either the Pacific or Caribbean coasts.
Festivals and public holidays in Costa Rica
In addition to the weather, there are other factors that may affect when you decide to travel to Costa Rica, including the various events and festivals taking place in the country at given times of year, as you may be keen to experience specific celebrations.
Costa Ricans (or Ticos) throw vibrant and lively festivals to mark various events throughout the year. Below are a few of the biggest and most colourful events to look out for:
- Semana Santana (Holy Week) — This takes place over Easter and is celebrated across the country. There are typically processions and masses on Holy Thursday and Good Friday when most of the nation stops to mark the occasion.
- Juan Santamaria Day — Held on April 11th every year, this day marks the death of Costa Rica's national hero; Juan Santamaria, who fought against US invader William Walker at the Battle of Rivas in 1856. Parades and concerts are organised to commemorate his actions, with the biggest celebrations being centred on Alajuela.
- Dia de las Culturas (Meeting of Cultures Day) — 12th October is Dia de las Culturas, when Costa Rica and other South American nations celebrate Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas. In the province of Limon, a week-long carnival takes place ahead of 12th October, while the Caribbean coast also plays host to colourful festivities at this time of the year.
Costa Rica Holidays Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
You will be based in the perfect location on a natural beachfront setting on the famed Pacific coast of Papagayo
- Your luxury suite will allow you ultimate comfort which is designed to make you feel like a star during your stay in paradise. Suites come equipped with luxuries such as Phabulous Beds™, 24 Hour Room Service, Liquor Dispenser along with much much more
- Planet Hollywood Beach Resort Costa Rica has an ideal location on a natural beachfront setting on the famed Pacific coast of Papagayo
- Why not make your holiday even more special by upgrading to STAR CLASS™ which allows you to enjoy A list exclusives
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Explore the city in historica Havana before a woderful All Inclusive beach stay in Costa Rica
- This twin centre offers the perfect twin centre of history in Havana with nature and great beaches in Costa Rica
- NH Capri has an amazing pool on the roof offers breath-taking views over the capital and glistening sea
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica has is an adults only haven with an amazing location on the beautiful Papagto Peninsula...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...
Located in historic district of San Jose, Radisson San Jose enjoys a close proximity to the famous tourist attractions...
Aloft San Jose is a brand new hotel located in Costa Rica's trendiest neighbourhood. The hotel has fantastic facilities...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Costa Rica
Costa Rica NewsBrowse all Costa Rica News
The Peninsula Papagayo in Costa Rica will undergo an extensive renovation project. The hospitality and development firm Gencom is leading the $100 million programme which will see enhancements to the 1,400-acre private site and its Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica and the Andaz Costa Rica Resort. These include new spas, fitness centres and a water taxi service.
Historic San Jose hotel Gran Hotel Costa Rica, Curio Collection by Hilton recently reopened after a three-year remodel. Because the hotel is a historic landmark, many of its original features were maintained, while adding numerous modern amenities.
The Costa Rica Tourism Board has reported a steady rise in the number of travellers visiting the Central American country recently, with a 2.5% increase in visitors from the UK in the first half of 2018 compared to the same period in 2017, helped along by the introduction of direct British Airways flights from London.