Practical advice for Egypt
National holidays and celebrations
A typical working week in Egypt runs from Sunday to Thursday, with the weekend taken on Fridays and Saturdays.
Non-religious festivals are celebrated throughout the year, and are a great opportunity to mingle with the locals:
- Sinai Liberation Day: 25th April. Sinai areas only
- Labour Day/May Day: 1st May
- Revolution National Day: 23rd July
- Armed Forces Day: 6th October
- Cairo International Film Festival: 30th November
- Sphinx Festival: Early December. Five day arts festival.
Religious celebrations in Egypt are ruled by the Muslim Lunar Calendar, so they fall on different dates each year:
- Coptic Christmas Day – early January
- Birth of the Prophet – between late January and mid-February
- Coptic Easter (Sham el-Nassim) - between April and May
- Bairam Feast (Eid al-Fitr) – three day public holiday, celebrating the end of Ramadan
- Coptic New Year – September
- Feast of Sacrifice (Eid al-Adha)– October. Four-day holiday marking the end of Hajj and the Sacrifice of Abraham
- Islamic New Year – November
Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan, so normal business hours may be affected.
The national currency in Egypt is the Egyptian pound (EGP)
- For the best conversion rates, bring Sterling British Pounds to convert into Egyptian pounds at local banks.
- ATMs accept foreign bank cards and can be found in all resorts and many hotels.
- Traveller's cheques can also be exchanged but offer less value for your money.
Dining out in Egypt is cheaper than you might expect. Influenced by Mediterranean, Nubian, Moroccan and Arab flavours, Egyptian cuisine is diverse and spicy - if you don’t like your food hot, ask the waiter to tone down your dish.
With a strong focus on vegetables and pulses, vegetarians and vegans will find plenty to choose from, with specialities including tahini, hummus, Tamiyya (Egyptian falafel), Koshari (a mix of rice, lentils and macaroni), and Fel Medames (flavoured fava beans).
Coastal areas offer fresh fish and seafood, and meat eaters will find tasty dishes such as Kofta (meat sticks), rice-stuffed pigeon, and chicken, lamb or rabbit stews on menus throughout the country.
With a dry, temperate climate, Egypt enjoys bright, sunny weather throughout the year, with hot summers and mild winters.
- Summer temperatures range between 27°C and 35°C (rising up to 43oC on the Red Sea Coast), with July and August being the hottest months. Evenings are cooler with an average minimum temperature of 14°C.
- The hot summer season runs from May to October and the mild, cooler season runs from November to April.
- Rainy days are scarce and fall mainly during the cooler winter months, between November and March, when temperatures average between 13°C and 21°C.
Egypt Holidays Browse all
Relax on the sandy beach or join in the various activities on offer at his fantastic hotel
- AMC Royal Hotel is set on the sandy beach of the Red Sea in-between Hurghada and El Gouna
- They have various activities on offer at the hotel including a daily animation programme, non motorised water sports and nightly entertainment
- There is various food options available especially at dinner with a buffet nightly themed restaurant, Italian buffet restaurant and a Oriental themed restaurant
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Great resort for the Family with endless fun at the Movenpick Kids Club during the day and night
- Enjoy a sumptuous choice of dining at the Movenpick buffet restaurant
- 18-holes golf course is just 1km away
- Discover El Gouna town with a daily shuttle bus - optional £20 per person
Ideally located on the eastern bank of the Nile, the hotel offers an oasis of luxury with excellent facilities and beautiful views across the Nile
- This hotel is a haven of relaxation where you can lie back in a sun lounge immersed in one of the hotel's infinity pools or relax in a shaded hammock and take in the views
- There are seven restaurants and bars to chose from including the elegant Sunset Lounge and Terrace which serves cocktails and snacks as well as stunning sunset views
- The Hilton Luxor features contemporary guest rooms, excellent facilities and uninterrupted views across the Nile
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonders, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Start your Egyptian adventure in enigmatic Luxor and discover its world of treasures while staying in a top four-star...
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Get to know some of the most amazing sites in Egypt during a luxurious 15-day stay at the Sheraton Cairo Hotel, Towers...
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Egypt
Egypt NewsBrowse all Egypt News
Egypt is gearing up to welcome an increasing number of tourists over the next year as the country prepares to open The Grand Egyptian Museum in Cairo, which for the first time will host the display of all Tutankhamun’s artefacts in one single place. With the museum due for a partial opening in the first quarter of 2019, tourism authorities are rubbing their hands for a prosperous start to next year’s tourism season.
Marriott International is offering travellers to Egypt some tempting summer discounts between now and September 30. As if discounted travel to a bucket-list destination wasn’t tempting enough, Marriott has also compiled 20 great reasons to visit Egypt, including a number of decadent experiences guests can have at Marriott properties.
A new e-visa service introduced by the Egyptian government has made it easier than ever for travellers from the UK to arrange trips to Egypt. UK citizens can now obtain an entry visa by completing a simplified online application rather than applying on arrival or in advance at the Egyptian Consulate.