The New York soccer team Cosmos travelled to Cuba this week to play a game against the island for the first time in years. The U.S team arrived in Havana last Sunday ahead of the game on Tuesday, making them the first professional American sports team to play a game with the Caribbean island in 16 years.
As a direct effect of the thawing of Cuba-U.S. relations, the first direct flight in decades, connecting New York to Havana has been announced to take off on 17th March 2015. A Boeing 737-800 will be linking the two cities again with a weekly frequency while an additional charter flight connecting Florida to Cuba's capital will also start operating.
Cuba's iconic capital city of Havana has been declared one of the New7Wonders Cities of the World after worldwide voters cast their decision to include the emblematic Caribbean city in the top seven. Joining Havana were Doha, Kuala Lumpur, La Paz, Beirut, Durban and Vigan.
Havana's badly weathered and aged harbour is currently undergoing a drastic process of transformation, that will see its now dark, oil-stanched waters, gleam with a new-found air of unpollution, attracting sea life and sea gulls once again and offering passers-by a cleaner, renovated promenade from which to enjoy the most perfect, uninterrupted sunsets with no smoky clouds from oil refineries blurring the view.
For the first time in its six years of existence, the now world-famous Red Bull's Cliff Diving World Series will be partly hosted in Cuba to kick off the competition's 2014 edition. The location selected as the backdrop scenario for this extreme sporting event is the Morro Castle, an iconic fortress standing high above the sea, with cliffs that dramatically drop into the warm Caribbean Sea.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...