Luxury Hotels Reduce Stars Ratings
In an attempt to save money during the global recession, many hotels have decided to decrease the amount of awarded stars whilst also downgrading their accommodation as fewer people are able to afford luxury holidays
Many luxury hotels have decided to decrease their amount of awarded stars and downgrade their accommodation in an attempt to save money during the global recession.
Luxury hotels and resorts have been the worst affected in the accommodation industry throughout the economic crisis as fewer people have been able to take luxury holidays, and measures will need be taken to save some of their properties.
So far, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, InterContinental, and Hilton Corp have reduced their amount of stars and levels of services of some of their 5 star hotels and resorts in destinations all over the world.
Former Chief Executive Officer of Hilton, Stephen Bollenbach, said:
"Maintaining stars requires enormous capital investment. Ratings aren't based on making good returns on your investment."
Many of the services which are being reduced at luxury hotels include welcome gifts for guests,, good quality ice buckets with tongs in rooms, treats on the pillow, 24 hour room service, complimentary newspapers, and fresh flowers in the rooms. Despite the reduction in star-ratings, many guests at luxury hotels will not notice much difference from a 5 star hotel to 4 star hotel but the discount in price will be appreciated with lower rates for high end business guests and travellers on 5 star holidays."
Vice president of Smith travel Research, Jeff Higley, said:
"Consumers want the best deals that they can get. Most luxury hotels are facing occupancy shortfalls; they are lowering rates to entice consumers to come in. There rarely has been a better time to stay at a luxury hotel than right now."
Many luxury hotels are reducing some of their services in a subtle way to avoid the reduction of the hotel's star rating. This may include reducing the amount of food available in the buffets, or decreasing the swimming pool temperature just by a degree or two.
For many of the hotels it is hoped that the reductions in star ratings will only be temporary and once the economy has picked up and services have been reinstated, AAA Inspectors can increase the amount of stars awarded to the hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Exclusive India Sale, Enjoy Huge reductions on all our tours must be booked by 31 August 2017
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...