Luxury Hotels Reduce Stars Ratings
In an attempt to save money during the global recession, many hotels have decided to decrease the amount of awarded stars whilst also downgrading their accommodation as fewer people are able to afford luxury holidays
Many luxury hotels have decided to decrease their amount of awarded stars and downgrade their accommodation in an attempt to save money during the global recession.
Luxury hotels and resorts have been the worst affected in the accommodation industry throughout the economic crisis as fewer people have been able to take luxury holidays, and measures will need be taken to save some of their properties.
So far, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, InterContinental, and Hilton Corp have reduced their amount of stars and levels of services of some of their 5 star hotels and resorts in destinations all over the world.
Former Chief Executive Officer of Hilton, Stephen Bollenbach, said:
"Maintaining stars requires enormous capital investment. Ratings aren't based on making good returns on your investment."
Many of the services which are being reduced at luxury hotels include welcome gifts for guests,, good quality ice buckets with tongs in rooms, treats on the pillow, 24 hour room service, complimentary newspapers, and fresh flowers in the rooms. Despite the reduction in star-ratings, many guests at luxury hotels will not notice much difference from a 5 star hotel to 4 star hotel but the discount in price will be appreciated with lower rates for high end business guests and travellers on 5 star holidays."
Vice president of Smith travel Research, Jeff Higley, said:
"Consumers want the best deals that they can get. Most luxury hotels are facing occupancy shortfalls; they are lowering rates to entice consumers to come in. There rarely has been a better time to stay at a luxury hotel than right now."
Many luxury hotels are reducing some of their services in a subtle way to avoid the reduction of the hotel's star rating. This may include reducing the amount of food available in the buffets, or decreasing the swimming pool temperature just by a degree or two.
For many of the hotels it is hoped that the reductions in star ratings will only be temporary and once the economy has picked up and services have been reinstated, AAA Inspectors can increase the amount of stars awarded to the hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Get a taste of the unique destination of Indonesia with a trip across two of its stunning islands. Start at lush Mercure...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...