Luxury Hotels Reduce Stars Ratings
In an attempt to save money during the global recession, many hotels have decided to decrease the amount of awarded stars whilst also downgrading their accommodation as fewer people are able to afford luxury holidays
Many luxury hotels have decided to decrease their amount of awarded stars and downgrade their accommodation in an attempt to save money during the global recession.
Luxury hotels and resorts have been the worst affected in the accommodation industry throughout the economic crisis as fewer people have been able to take luxury holidays, and measures will need be taken to save some of their properties.
So far, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, InterContinental, and Hilton Corp have reduced their amount of stars and levels of services of some of their 5 star hotels and resorts in destinations all over the world.
Former Chief Executive Officer of Hilton, Stephen Bollenbach, said:
"Maintaining stars requires enormous capital investment. Ratings aren't based on making good returns on your investment."
Many of the services which are being reduced at luxury hotels include welcome gifts for guests,, good quality ice buckets with tongs in rooms, treats on the pillow, 24 hour room service, complimentary newspapers, and fresh flowers in the rooms. Despite the reduction in star-ratings, many guests at luxury hotels will not notice much difference from a 5 star hotel to 4 star hotel but the discount in price will be appreciated with lower rates for high end business guests and travellers on 5 star holidays."
Vice president of Smith travel Research, Jeff Higley, said:
"Consumers want the best deals that they can get. Most luxury hotels are facing occupancy shortfalls; they are lowering rates to entice consumers to come in. There rarely has been a better time to stay at a luxury hotel than right now."
Many luxury hotels are reducing some of their services in a subtle way to avoid the reduction of the hotel's star rating. This may include reducing the amount of food available in the buffets, or decreasing the swimming pool temperature just by a degree or two.
For many of the hotels it is hoped that the reductions in star ratings will only be temporary and once the economy has picked up and services have been reinstated, AAA Inspectors can increase the amount of stars awarded to the hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...