Luxury Hotels Reduce Stars Ratings
In an attempt to save money during the global recession, many hotels have decided to decrease the amount of awarded stars whilst also downgrading their accommodation as fewer people are able to afford luxury holidays
Many luxury hotels have decided to decrease their amount of awarded stars and downgrade their accommodation in an attempt to save money during the global recession.
Luxury hotels and resorts have been the worst affected in the accommodation industry throughout the economic crisis as fewer people have been able to take luxury holidays, and measures will need be taken to save some of their properties.
So far, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, InterContinental, and Hilton Corp have reduced their amount of stars and levels of services of some of their 5 star hotels and resorts in destinations all over the world.
Former Chief Executive Officer of Hilton, Stephen Bollenbach, said:
"Maintaining stars requires enormous capital investment. Ratings aren't based on making good returns on your investment."
Many of the services which are being reduced at luxury hotels include welcome gifts for guests,, good quality ice buckets with tongs in rooms, treats on the pillow, 24 hour room service, complimentary newspapers, and fresh flowers in the rooms. Despite the reduction in star-ratings, many guests at luxury hotels will not notice much difference from a 5 star hotel to 4 star hotel but the discount in price will be appreciated with lower rates for high end business guests and travellers on 5 star holidays."
Vice president of Smith travel Research, Jeff Higley, said:
"Consumers want the best deals that they can get. Most luxury hotels are facing occupancy shortfalls; they are lowering rates to entice consumers to come in. There rarely has been a better time to stay at a luxury hotel than right now."
Many luxury hotels are reducing some of their services in a subtle way to avoid the reduction of the hotel's star rating. This may include reducing the amount of food available in the buffets, or decreasing the swimming pool temperature just by a degree or two.
For many of the hotels it is hoped that the reductions in star ratings will only be temporary and once the economy has picked up and services have been reinstated, AAA Inspectors can increase the amount of stars awarded to the hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...