Cuba Marks the End of Summer with Outdoor Celebrations, Music and Festivals
As school starts and the Cuban summer draws to an end with another school year looming; the island celebrates in full swing with a series of announced festivals, events and outdoor concerts organised to wave goodbye to the holiday season.
With the first day of September marking the official start of yet another school year, the Cuban Summer season draws to an end and it does so in style by hosting a range of events to close out the 2009 Cuba holiday season.
The Summer Organising Commission has already announced a series of festivals, outdoor concerts and lively events to put a golden end to the hot Cuba holiday summer period.
Among the festivities planned, the first will take place on Thursday with the National Youth Book and Reading Festival, celebrated in conjunction with volunteer work days planned to help schools throughout the island get ready for the new academic year. With a green goal set for the coming of autumn, a nationwide reforestation project will also take place on Saturday and Sunday with around 100,000 students spending the weekend planting trees and working in nurseries’ gardens.
And for the entertainment of all, one of the highlights of the closing of summer celebrations will be a massive outdoor concert on Saturday evening, featuring Cuba’s most famous Salsa band “La Charanga Habanera” who will sing on the beautiful Malecon waterfront in Havana.
Yet another giant outdoor concert under the stars will be happening on 4th September when another famous island singer, David Blanco celebrates the official opening of the 2009-2010 academic school year with a musical show on the famous long stairway of the grand University of Havana.
All of these events are free and completely open to the public so if anyone on Cuba holidays happens to happily walk by during one of these events they are most welcome to join in the celebrations and the dancing. Cuban, tourists and visitors alike will all gather to enjoy days of fun and music.
For those lucky enough to be on a Cuba holiday during this week be on the lookout if you want to catch a glimpse of the joyous Cuban celebrations and street festivities. A great opportunity to immerse in the local culture, clap your hands, tap your feet and generally get lost into the contagious salsa beats.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...