Cuba Marks the End of Summer with Outdoor Celebrations, Music and Festivals
As school starts and the Cuban summer draws to an end with another school year looming; the island celebrates in full swing with a series of announced festivals, events and outdoor concerts organised to wave goodbye to the holiday season.
With the first day of September marking the official start of yet another school year, the Cuban Summer season draws to an end and it does so in style by hosting a range of events to close out the 2009 Cuba holiday season.
The Summer Organising Commission has already announced a series of festivals, outdoor concerts and lively events to put a golden end to the hot Cuba holiday summer period.
Among the festivities planned, the first will take place on Thursday with the National Youth Book and Reading Festival, celebrated in conjunction with volunteer work days planned to help schools throughout the island get ready for the new academic year. With a green goal set for the coming of autumn, a nationwide reforestation project will also take place on Saturday and Sunday with around 100,000 students spending the weekend planting trees and working in nurseries’ gardens.
And for the entertainment of all, one of the highlights of the closing of summer celebrations will be a massive outdoor concert on Saturday evening, featuring Cuba’s most famous Salsa band “La Charanga Habanera” who will sing on the beautiful Malecon waterfront in Havana.
Yet another giant outdoor concert under the stars will be happening on 4th September when another famous island singer, David Blanco celebrates the official opening of the 2009-2010 academic school year with a musical show on the famous long stairway of the grand University of Havana.
All of these events are free and completely open to the public so if anyone on Cuba holidays happens to happily walk by during one of these events they are most welcome to join in the celebrations and the dancing. Cuban, tourists and visitors alike will all gather to enjoy days of fun and music.
For those lucky enough to be on a Cuba holiday during this week be on the lookout if you want to catch a glimpse of the joyous Cuban celebrations and street festivities. A great opportunity to immerse in the local culture, clap your hands, tap your feet and generally get lost into the contagious salsa beats.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...