Cuba Marks the End of Summer with Outdoor Celebrations, Music and Festivals
As school starts and the Cuban summer draws to an end with another school year looming; the island celebrates in full swing with a series of announced festivals, events and outdoor concerts organised to wave goodbye to the holiday season.
With the first day of September marking the official start of yet another school year, the Cuban Summer season draws to an end and it does so in style by hosting a range of events to close out the 2009 Cuba holiday season.
The Summer Organising Commission has already announced a series of festivals, outdoor concerts and lively events to put a golden end to the hot Cuba holiday summer period.
Among the festivities planned, the first will take place on Thursday with the National Youth Book and Reading Festival, celebrated in conjunction with volunteer work days planned to help schools throughout the island get ready for the new academic year. With a green goal set for the coming of autumn, a nationwide reforestation project will also take place on Saturday and Sunday with around 100,000 students spending the weekend planting trees and working in nurseries’ gardens.
And for the entertainment of all, one of the highlights of the closing of summer celebrations will be a massive outdoor concert on Saturday evening, featuring Cuba’s most famous Salsa band “La Charanga Habanera” who will sing on the beautiful Malecon waterfront in Havana.
Yet another giant outdoor concert under the stars will be happening on 4th September when another famous island singer, David Blanco celebrates the official opening of the 2009-2010 academic school year with a musical show on the famous long stairway of the grand University of Havana.
All of these events are free and completely open to the public so if anyone on Cuba holidays happens to happily walk by during one of these events they are most welcome to join in the celebrations and the dancing. Cuban, tourists and visitors alike will all gather to enjoy days of fun and music.
For those lucky enough to be on a Cuba holiday during this week be on the lookout if you want to catch a glimpse of the joyous Cuban celebrations and street festivities. A great opportunity to immerse in the local culture, clap your hands, tap your feet and generally get lost into the contagious salsa beats.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...