Dubai hotels market remains optimistic for Marriott
Although most of Dubai hotels have suffered during the recession slump, the story is not true for all. Some like Marriott have been lucky enough to enjoy a more stable position as they predict a promising future for all Dubai hotels in the long-term
Dubai hotels have been some of the worst affected in the global recession with the biggest revenue fall in the Middle East region during the first half of 2009. However despite the recent downfall, some Dubai hotels are not suffering as much as the rest.
Marriott Hotels have a wide range of hotels across the Middle East and they are performing well on the hotel market throughout the main cities in comparison to other less fortunate accommodation groups and hotels in Dubai.
Marriott's Director of Sales and Marketing for Middle East and Africa, Jeff Strachan, says:
"While it is true that the hotel industry in Dubai has experienced a slowdown in recent months, the situation is not as bad as the image that has been painted by the media."
"All we have been reading about for the last six months is the alleged bubble has burst and everyone wants to sit in a glass house and throw stones at Dubai. I think what is needed is a real perspective about where Dubai was and where it is now."
Dubai has been noticeably affected by the recession, with fewer people taking Dubai holidays, and hotel occupancy levels lower than usual but it still continues to be a thriving centre for business and there are regions in the world that have been far worse affected by the global economical situation.
Jeff commented on the difficulties for independent Dubai hotels and Marriott Hotels' advantage:
"In Dubai, the market has slipped 33%, and we have barely slipped double digits. If you are an unbranded hotel, it's difficult to buy your way up. For example, it's difficult to buy your way onto the global distribution, and branded hotels appear higher on search engines. The branded hotels have much more strength in those areas."
The future for Marriott's Dubai hotels is also looking bright, Jeff said: "The general outlook in terms of occupancies is positive. There are a lot of demand generators that are looking buoyant in the last quarter of this year, with the big exhibitions, the Air Show, the Race to Dubai, even the overflow from the Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
Immerse yourself in Ottoman-style opulence in the famous Palm Jumeirah during your stay at Jumeirah Zabeel Saray
Perfection is synonymous with the Zabeel Saray on Dubai's Palm Island, where you will find that the decadence of the Ottoman Empire has been perfectly recaptured
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...