Caribbean Hotels Suffering After Drop in Tourism Numbers
The recession is hitting the Caribbean especially hard with a major drop in tourism and hotel occupancy. Despite incentives to promote Caribbean holidays and the offering of many special deals, the efforts have not been enough to pick up the decline
Caribbean hotels have been some of the worst affected in the recent global economic crisis and the situation looks like it might get worse before it can get better.
A new report has stated that there is a 4% decline in travellers taking Caribbean holidays and Caribbean hotels have found a significant drop in profits during 2008, which were down 16%.
It seems that rather than taking family holidays to the Bahamas or luxury holidays to other Caribbean resorts, people are staying closer to home, or not going away at all until the economy has picked up.
The lack of visitors to Caribbean hotels has meant that many have been forced to close down and this has happened to one large hotel in Bahamas, the Four Seasons on Great Exuma.
Despite special offers and generous discounts put in place to attract more tourists to Caribbean hotels, the efforts have not been enough and PKF Hospitality Research report predicts that the decline in visitor numbers will continue to decrease throughout 2009.
The recent report also states that the future intended projects of 50 hotels are likely be delayed due to hotel developers struggling to get the financing desperately needed.
The Caribbean has always been a popular destination for tourists from all over the world with its stunning scenery, luxury accommodation, and hot and sunny weather. The downturn in tourism is expected to have a significant affect on resorts and business across the Caribbean region from the Bahamas, and Barbados, to the Dominican Republic and Jamaica.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...