British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Stay at Bella Costa (formerly known as the breezes bella costa) and escape to one of Cuba’s most pristine beaches
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands at bella costa (formerly known as the breezes bella costa)
- Enjoy your stay in Varadero with 24-hour all-inclusive service
- Swap three nights in Varadero for three nights in Havana at the 4-star Memories Miramar Havana hotel -- the total 10-night package will cost from £1148 per person, including daily breakfast (valid from May till October 2016)
- Bella Costa is located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach and offers special discounts for families, couples and singles
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet ‘N’ Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Offering an array of facilities including a luxury spa and six-hole golf course
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- All Inclusive Mauritius Holiday with all meals and drinks included
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children’s club and fun activities for all ages.
- Staying at the Pullman Jumeirah lake Towers is the perfect location short distance to the shopping malls and beach
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Venture to the southern tip of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula to enjoy eight days of discovery and relaxation beside the Red...
Seize this chance to have that Mediterranean holiday you’ve been promising yourself. A two-week excursion to one of...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...