British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Enjoy every minute of your holiday with the beautiful parks, upscale boutiques and on-trend restaurants
- The perfect location in the downtown just minutes away from the shopping malls and just 20 minutes from The Medina and Marrakesh Menara Airport
- Each of 130 accommodations are designed for your comfortable stay including TV with satellite channels, minibar and direct dial telephone
- Plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from all of which offer well priced Moroccan style cuisine and beverages
Iberotel's luxury resort, Il Mercato is in the heart of Hadabet Om El Seed, Sharm -el Sheikh's newest place to be seen
- Evening entertainment for you to enjoy for the little one during the day an amazing Kids Club.
- A selection of restaurants including an A la carte Restaurant called La Terrazina
- facilities includes three swimming pools, Welness. Spa, Squash Courts and more
Stay at Hotel Phebus and enjoy a fabulous sea views
- Spoil yourself with a relaxing spa treatments and beauty services the hotel is offering
- Free Wireless Internet in addition to the Modern and comfortable accommodations all with private balconies
- Benefit from the direct access to the beach of La Marsa
Enjoy the natural beauty and tranquillity of Fujairah, set beside an exclusive beach fringing the blue ocean and the dramatic Hajjar Mountains.
- Many activities on offer such as water sports, bicycle rental and fishing
- Positioned on a secluded area of private beach
- Vibrant nighlife with live bands, a piano bar, pool and darts to suit all occasions
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Fronted by a pristine stretch of white sand in the sought-after resort area of Cancun, this newly-opened hotel is the...
Situated in a sheltered bay on the northwest coast of Mauritius, La Plantation overlooks a stunning blue lagoon...
For a fully-charged Marrakesh experience, this Moorish retreat is located at the city’s north-west entrance near...
Get to know the beautiful Il Mercato Promenade in Egypt and relax on a fantastic 15-day holiday at the luxurious...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...