British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife and stay in a top resort facing Sharm's premier diving site
- Choose from 5 fantastic Dining Options including Steak & Thai Restaurants
- Guaranteed sea views plus a host of special extras
- Upgrade to the Hyatt Regency Club room and enjoy your own private Club lounge serving Continental breakfast, evening cocktails and more
Journey to a different world, soak up the sun and play in the magical waters of the Red Sea
- Relax and enjoy the Red Sea from Montaza beach - Award winning resort perfect for Divers
- Spacious and elegant rooms enjoying views of the garden or sea view
- Exclusive Room Upgrade to a Family Room
Traditional charm embraces Arabian culture at this five-star resort located on a private inlet sprawling 600 metres of pristine beach.
- Located on an idyllic water inlet with 600m of beach overlooking the Arabian Gulf
- Great selection of facilities for kids including kids menu and kids club
- Great selection of bars for a tropical cocktail or two
There really is something for everyone here, with a variety of water sports, Wild Wadi Water Park next door and the infamous Jumeirah Beach.
- The resort offers something for everyone with swimming pools, sporting facilities, shops and a kid's club
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park, a great day out for the young as well as the young at heart
- Over 20 restaurants, cafes and bars with options for formal dining, casual dining, speciality dining and a variety of bars, some serving snacks
This unforgettable 7 night tour is the perfect way to discover the Arab Kingdom of Jordan. Set on the East Bank of the...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...