British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world’s most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Up to 15% discount on Dolpin Bay for all clients who book by the 30th April 2015
- Up to 2 children 15years old stay free on half board between 31 May-17September 2015
- Free upgrade to Half Board for everyone in the room from 31 May-17 September 2015
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
Spend seven magical days exploring India's most iconic landmarks and dive deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover.
- During the tour you will be staying at these award winning hotels - The 5* Suryaa New Delhi, The 4* Gateway Hotel Agra and The 4* Fortune Select Metropolitan Jaipur
- Free and Exclusive Rajasthani Feast plus a Bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi
- Includes a horse carriage ride around the Taj Mahal and a free elephant ride to the Amber Fort
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Exclusive private tour package including a private car, personal driver and personal guides from an extra £99 per person (Normally £300)
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club from £149 per person and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Add a West of Cuba Highlights tour -- including UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Presidential Palace ( from £99 per person )
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture, history and nature with plenty of time for relaxation
- Enjoy a memorable experience by visiting the sloth Sanctuary with a 3 night stay on the South Caribbean from £399
- During the tour you will take part in exciting activities such as River Rafting, A Guided Hanging Bridge Walk, plus 3 lunches included and much more
- Extend your adventure in Nicaragua for 3 nights that includes a tour of Granada, a visit to an artisan market and a boat tour from £499
- Tale a break with a beautiful beach stay to end your tour offering a chance to relax and rejuvenate after a thoroughly entertaining time
- Many added values are included during the tour with Resort Credit, Welcome gifts and 24/7 complementary Wi-Fi
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Kick off your Cuba holiday with a stay at one of Havana’s most elegant hotels where you will enjoy 3 quiet nights safely...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you’re treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
For a fully-charged Marrakesh experience, this Moorish retreat is located at the city’s north-west entrance near...
Venture to the southern tip of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula to enjoy eight days of discovery and relaxation beside the Red...
This smart and stylish 4-star hotel seamlessly mixes traditional Tunisian touches with ultra modern facilities,...