British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world’s most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free room upgrade to Palm Beach Deluxe Room, worth £100pp
- Up to 2 children under 12 stay free
- Free upgrade to Half Board
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club from £149 per person and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Add a West of Cuba Highlights tour -- including UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Presidential Palace ( from £99 per person )
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment fit for an island king or queen.
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Offering an array of facilities including a luxury spa and six-hole golf course
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture and visit the most famous and popular landmarks
- Highlights Includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, Safari and South Africa finest wine country, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and much more to enjoy
- Extend your stay with 3 extra nights and discover Dubai from £199 per person
- Best quality services that will make your trip an unforgetable experience including 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver included
- Your journey includes exciting 4 game drives for you to see Africa’s “Big Five”: lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Explore one of the most recommended destinations in the world and enjoy the Hop-On Hop-Off Sightseeing Bus Tour in Cape Town and Highgate Ostrich Farm Tour in Oudtshoorn (Exclusive for Travelzoo readers only)
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr is lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
This elegant Moorish retreat is perfectly placed for exploring Marrakech’s mesmerising landmarks, most notably the...
This smart and stylish 4-star hotel seamlessly mixes traditional Tunisian touches with ultra modern facilities,...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...