British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend seven magical days exploring India's most iconic landmarks and dive deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover.
- During the tour you will be staying at these award winning hotels - The 5* Suryaa New Delhi, The 4* Gateway Hotel Agra and The 4* Fortune Select Metropolitan Jaipur
- Free and Exclusive Rajasthani Feast plus a Bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi
- Includes a horse carriage ride around the Taj Mahal and a free elephant ride to the Amber Fort
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Exclusive private tour package including a private car, personal driver and personal guides from an extra £99 per person (Normally £300)
A fun packed cultural experience awaits all the family at this unique eco park - a green zone full of exhibits and natural wonders is there for all to share
- Stay in the most spectacular grounds within an ecological and historical preserve, close to the remains of a Mayan Village
- Upgrade to The Unlimited Xcaret Xperience package which gives unlimited access to Xcaret Park with more than 40 cultural attractions and exhibits.
- Make the most of 11 restaurants, 9 bars, 5 swimming pools, and 10 Jacuzzis
- Scarlet macaws and parrots welcome visitors for a fun summer break in Xcaret's Eco theme park
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture and visit the most famous and popular landmarks
- Highlights Includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, Safari and South Africa finest wine country, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and much more to enjoy
- Extend your stay with 3 extra nights and discover Dubai from £199 per person
- Best quality services that will make your trip an unforgetable experience including 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver included
- Your journey includes exciting 4 game drives for you to see Africa’s “Big Five”: lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Explore one of the most recommended destinations in the world and enjoy the Hop-On Hop-Off Sightseeing Bus Tour in Cape Town and Highgate Ostrich Farm Tour in Oudtshoorn (Exclusive for Travelzoo readers only)
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children’s club and fun activities for all ages.
- Make the most of Doubletree by Hilton Al Basha’s excellent location, with a free shuttle connecting you to the Mall of the Emirates and Jumeirah Beach.
- Expect nothing but utter excellence at both locations including pretty swimming pools and the finest world-class service.
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr is lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
For a fully-charged Marrakesh experience, this Moorish retreat is located at the city’s north-west entrance near...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...