British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap while making the most of a homely hideaway
- Book now and receive up to 50% off with our Brilliant Barbados promotion in celebration of 50 years of Independence
- Set within the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Bridgetown
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- One child aged 12 years or under stays free!
- Free bottle of Pirate Rum Punch
Experience the magic of this amazing resort boasting one of the largest water parks in the world.
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
- Enjoy a complimentary access to the unique Aquaventure Water Park and The Lost Chambers Aquarium (exclusive for resort guests only)
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
A couples’ special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Our offer includes an upgrade to Sea View room in Blau Varadero (subject to availability)
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
- Free upgrade to a Suite in El Terral (subject to availability)
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba’s finest hotels, the...
Located just 150 yards from the pretty seaside promenade in the popular resort of Qawra, the Hotel Santana is ideally...
Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort nestles into a dramatic headland overlooking the Ras Mohammed National Park. This...
Seize this chance to have that Mediterranean holiday you’ve been promising yourself. A two-week excursion to one of...