British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world’s most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Two 30 minute Back, Neck & Shoulder massage at ShuiQi Spa for the price of one. Available daily only between 10:00AM-3:00PM
- Up to 2 children 15years old stay free on half board between 31 May-17September 2015
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to Half Board for everyone in the room from 31 May-17 September 2015
Blau Costa Verde offers a fun holiday for couples and families alike with something to suit everyone
- There is a wide range of dining options with something for all tastes including a grill restaurant on the beach and excellent a la carte speciality restaurants
- Enjoy a wonderful Beachfront location on a white sandy beach close to where Columbus first set his eyes on Cuba
- Amazing exclusive offer for couples including a 15 minute couples massage and sparkling wine on arrival to make your holiday extra special
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment fit for an island king or queen.
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Offering an array of facilities including a luxury spa and six-hole golf course
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture and visit the most famous and popular landmarks
- Extend your stay with 3 extra nights and discover Dubai from £199 per person
- Highlights Includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, Safari and South Africa finest wine country, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and much more to enjoy
- Explore one of the most recommended destinations in the world and enjoy the Hop-On Hop-Off Sightseeing Bus Tour in Cape Town and Highgate Ostrich Farm Tour in Oudtshoorn (Exclusive for Travelzoo readers only)
- Best quality services that will make your trip an unforgetable experience including 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver included
- Your journey includes exciting 4 game drives for you to see Africa’s “Big Five”: lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Come and experience the essence of Cuba at the majestic Blau Costa Verde, an all-inclusive paradise amidst breathtaking...
If you want to really feel Cuba’s beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This elegant Moorish retreat is perfectly placed for exploring Marrakech’s mesmerising landmarks, most notably the...
Venture to the southern tip of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula to enjoy eight days of discovery and relaxation beside the Red...
This smart and stylish 4-star hotel seamlessly mixes traditional Tunisian touches with ultra modern facilities,...