British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend seven magical days exploring India's most iconic landmarks and dive deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover.
- During the tour you will be staying at these award winning hotels - The 5* Suryaa New Delhi, The 4* Gateway Hotel Agra and The 4* Fortune Select Metropolitan Jaipur
- Free and Exclusive Rajasthani Feast plus a Bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi
- Includes a horse carriage ride around the Taj Mahal and a free elephant ride to the Amber Fort
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Exclusive private tour package including a private car, personal driver and personal guides from an extra £99 per person (Normally £300)
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach, a stay at Dreams La Romana will melt every heart.
- Enjoy Merengue Lessons, access to a Casino, a Watersports Centre and more
- Dine and play in style at a luxury all-inclusive resort and spa
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Choose from 7 a la carte restaurants where no reservations are required
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royal Hicacos
- Experience Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dancing to Salsa
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and one free daily dive at the Royal Hicacos
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment fit for an island king or queen.
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Offering an array of facilities including a luxury spa and six-hole golf course
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr is lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
For a fully-charged Marrakesh experience, this Moorish retreat is located at the city’s north-west entrance near...
Situated outside the city in a quiet and uplifting location by the seaside, the Ezzahra Dar Tunis enjoys a wonderfully...
Experience utter luxury as you enjoy eight days of uninterrupted R&R along Egypt’s Red Sea shores. But apart from sun...