British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Enjoy every minute of your holiday with the beautiful parks, upscale boutiques and on-trend restaurants
- The perfect location in the downtown just minutes away from the shopping malls and just 20 minutes from The Medina and Marrakesh Menara Airport
- Each of 130 accommodations are designed for your comfortable stay including TV with satellite channels, minibar and direct dial telephone
- Plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from all of which offer well priced Moroccan style cuisine and beverages
Stay at Hotel Phebus and enjoy a fabulous sea views
- Spoil yourself with a relaxing spa treatments and beauty services the hotel is offering
- Free Wireless Internet in addition to the Modern and comfortable accommodations all with private balconies
- Benefit from the direct access to the beach of La Marsa
Have fun in the sun, dive in the underwater gardens of the Red Sea and enjoy a myriad of activities for the whole family, visit the Sol Y Mar at Sharks Bay
- Great family resort with plenty of activities and only 10 minutes from the many attractions of Naama Bay
- Modern contemporary rooms
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2012 Certificate of Excellence Award
enjoy a holiday at the Doubletree Hilton Dubai, a short distance to Jumeirah Beach and a stones throw to Mall of the Emirate
- Complimentary wireless internet access is available in public areas
- Free shuttle to Emirates shopping malls
- Free shuttle service to Jumeirah Beach
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Fronted by a pristine stretch of white sand in the sought-after resort area of Cancun, this newly-opened hotel is the...
Situated in a sheltered bay on the northwest coast of Mauritius, La Plantation overlooks a stunning blue lagoon...
For a fully-charged Marrakesh experience, this Moorish retreat is located at the city’s north-west entrance near...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...
Venture to the southern tip of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula to enjoy eight days of discovery and relaxation beside the Red...