British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world’s most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Two 30-minute Back, Neck & Shoulder massage at ShuiQi Spa for the price of one. Available daily only between 10:00AM-3:00PM
- Two children under 15 stay free on Half Board between 31 May and 17 September 2015
- Free upgrade to Half Board for everyone in the room from 31 May to 17 September 2015
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Why not add two nights in Oman at the luxury 5-star¬ Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Al Waha Hotel, with breakfast, from £249 per person
- Add a 3 night Tiger safari stay at Ranthambore National Park from £399 per person, including daily breakfast, lunch and dinner and four amazing jungle safaris
- Exclusive private tour package including a private car, personal driver and personal guides from an extra £99 per person (Normally £300)
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- During the tour you will have an exclusive Rajasthani Feast with a traditional Indian family, a bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi and to remember the great experience you will receive a personal photo of you while visiting Taj Mahal
Use your resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, enjoy a round of championship golf, select from an upgraded wine list and a selection of excursions
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2014 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet ‘N’ Wild waterpark and much more.
- June to August 2015 - Kids Stay, Play & Eat for Free (Excludes Flights & Transfers)
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment fit for an island king or queen.
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Offering an array of facilities including a luxury spa and six-hole golf course
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The Melia Habana Hotel is located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea. This building has a...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
This elegant Moorish retreat is perfectly placed for exploring Marrakech’s mesmerising landmarks, most notably the...
Picture yourself in fifteen glorious days of bliss and rejuvenation. The exquisite and newly renovated Mediterranean...
Venture to the southern tip of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula to enjoy eight days of discovery and relaxation beside the Red...