British Airways reduces luggage allowances on transatlantic flights
New cuts for the baggage allowance on British Airways flights are due to start being reinforced on October. The luggage policy limiting baggage to one single piece will apply for passengers on transatlantic flights to most long-haul BA destinations
British Airways have introduced a new luggage policy for passengers on transatlantic flights. After already recently stating that the airline will be cutting routes and economising on catering, the new luggage policy is another attempt to save on British Airways costs.
The new policy is due to be in place from October 7 2009 and will mean that customers travelling in economy class on the majority of transatlantic flights, for example on flights to Antigua, USA, Mexico, or on any Caribbean flights, will have their free luggage allowances cut from two pieces of luggage, down to just one piece.
This will mean that the luggage allowance on transatlantic routes will be the same as luggage allowance on most long-haul British Airways flights. The only other transatlantic airlines who currently have a one piece free luggage allowance policy are Delta and Northwest, but BA's transition may well prompt other airlines to follow this decision.
British Airways have not yet confirmed the decision but it look likely to go ahead in October. However, it appears that British Airways are only applying this rule on some of its transatlantic flights. Listed below are details of the intended luggage policy for October:
- World traveller passengers on transatlantic flights to and from the USA, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Argentina and Mexico will be allowed free checked baggage allowance of one item weighing up to 23kgs.
- World Traveller customers on flights to and from Brazil, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and on through-checked journeys between India and the USA, Canada and Bermuda will be allowed a free luggage allowance two items weighing up to 23kgs each.
- There will be a reduction in excess baggage amounts over the free allowance on the first bag for passengers travelling on long-haul flights.
- Passengers who hold Gold and Silver Executive club cards will be allowed to carry two items of luggage free of charge when travelling in World Traveller, Euro Traveller, and Domestic.
- Additional baggage to the free allowances carried on UK domestic flights will be charge at £35 per item.
- Charges for heavy baggage between 23kgs and 32kgs will increase from £25 to £30.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Daily activities for children while you are relaxing at the traditional Moroccan sauna
- All accommodations features a balcony overlooking either the pool or gardens
- Perfectly located just minutes away from Marrakesh famous square that amazes with snake charmers, food stalls, musicians, sword jugglers and more
- Enjoy signature restaurants with indoor and outdoor dining – international dishes and Moroccan specialities
Iberotel's luxury resort, Il Mercato is in the heart of Hadabet Om El Seed, Sharm -el Sheikh's newest place to be seen
- Evening entertainment for you to enjoy for the little one during the day an amazing Kids Club.
- A selection of restaurants including an A la carte Restaurant called La Terrazina
- facilities includes three swimming pools, Welness. Spa, Squash Courts and more
Stay at Hotel Phebus and enjoy a fabulous sea views
- Spoil yourself with a relaxing spa treatments and beauty services the hotel is offering
- Free Wireless Internet in addition to the Modern and comfortable accommodations all with private balconies
- Benefit from the direct access to the beach of La Marsa
Relax in spacious accommodation and enjoy magnificent views from the rooftop pool at the Marina Byblos, it offers contemporary luxury close to Jumeirah Beach.
- Rooftop swimming pool offers panoramic views mixed with tranquil relaxation
- Metro station within walking distance
- Vibrant nightlife with Russian and Arabic restaurant & nightclubs on-site
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Fronted by a pristine stretch of white sand in the sought-after resort area of Cancun, this newly-opened hotel is the...
For a fully-charged Marrakesh experience, this Moorish retreat is located at the city’s north-west entrance near...
yourself in fifteen glorious days of bliss and rejuvenation. The exquisite and newly renovated Mediterranean Beach Hotel...
Get to know the beautiful Il Mercato Promenade in Egypt and relax on a fantastic 15-day holiday at the luxurious...