The Eco-Cuba holiday appeal explored - Cuban Ecotourism Fair to be Held in September
The Tournat 2009 Fair will be held in Cuba from 14-18 September at Playa Larga, one of the island's pioneer heartlands of eco-tourism. This year the aims are to discuss the potential for nature tourism and the integration of more eco-friendly activities
For long Cuba has largely been seen as a popular holiday destination for its richness of culture, turbulent political past, peculiar revolution history and old decadence glamour. All this coupled with pristine Caribbean beaches that prompt for the most idyllic Cuba holidays! However it has only been in recent years that the government has made an effort to uncover the hidden secrets of the island's blooming flora and fauna in order to include it in the island's tourism offering.
A reflection of this is the continuing of Cuba's eco-fair which will hold its annual ecotourism fair from September 14 to 18 at Playa Larga, one of Cuba's premier heartlands of ecotourism. The Tournat 2009 this year aims promote and discuss the potentials for naturalist tourism for incorporating more eco-friendly activities to the Cuba holiday brochure.
Located at the northern end of the Bay of Pigs (Bahia de Cochinos) and in the province of Matanzas, Playa Larga is a breathtakingly lush region named after its long beach and offering magnificent diving and hiking opportunities with rivers, lakes and nature reserves including the world renowned Zapata Swamp (Cienaga de Zapata), home to a legendary community of endemic crocodiles.
This year's Eco-fair is jam-packed full of guest speakers, tours, presentations and cultural events to showcase the best the island has to offer in terms of Eco Cuba holidays and sustainable Cuban Eco-tourism. On the top of the itinerary of activities there is a series of guided tours and talks about the massive Zapata Swamp biosphere reserve, the largest protected area in the Caribbean and the region's best preserved wetlands. The Zapata Swamp is home to more than 900 autochthonous plant species, 175 species of birds, 31 species of reptiles and more than 1,000 species of invertebrates. Some of the most notable are local endemics to Cuba, including the Zapata Wren, Zapata Rail, and the Zapata Sparrow.
The Zapata Swamp is also visited by 65 species of birds during their migration pattern from North America through the Caribbean to South America. The swamp in total is more than one million acres (4,000 km²) and is administered as one of 14 municipalities of the Matanzas Province; the municipal seat is located at Playa Larga.
The final day of the fair will feature a boat tour of the Laguna del Tesoro, an excursion to the Guama Tourist Center and the historical Taina Village, and a visit to the Crocodile hatchery and sanctuary. So far these incredible lush areas of virtually untocuhed nature and ancient heritage have been so protected that the construction of any Cuba hotels anywhere near is unthinkable. Nevertheless tours are frequently done from nearby hotels at Guardalavaca for Playa Larga excursions and at Giron for the Zapata Swamp and Guama.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...