The Eco-Cuba holiday appeal explored - Cuban Ecotourism Fair to be Held in September
The Tournat 2009 Fair will be held in Cuba from 14-18 September at Playa Larga, one of the island's pioneer heartlands of eco-tourism. This year the aims are to discuss the potential for nature tourism and the integration of more eco-friendly activities
For long Cuba has largely been seen as a popular holiday destination for its richness of culture, turbulent political past, peculiar revolution history and old decadence glamour. All this coupled with pristine Caribbean beaches that prompt for the most idyllic Cuba holidays! However it has only been in recent years that the government has made an effort to uncover the hidden secrets of the island's blooming flora and fauna in order to include it in the island's tourism offering.
A reflection of this is the continuing of Cuba's eco-fair which will hold its annual ecotourism fair from September 14 to 18 at Playa Larga, one of Cuba's premier heartlands of ecotourism. The Tournat 2009 this year aims promote and discuss the potentials for naturalist tourism for incorporating more eco-friendly activities to the Cuba holiday brochure.
Located at the northern end of the Bay of Pigs (Bahia de Cochinos) and in the province of Matanzas, Playa Larga is a breathtakingly lush region named after its long beach and offering magnificent diving and hiking opportunities with rivers, lakes and nature reserves including the world renowned Zapata Swamp (Cienaga de Zapata), home to a legendary community of endemic crocodiles.
This year's Eco-fair is jam-packed full of guest speakers, tours, presentations and cultural events to showcase the best the island has to offer in terms of Eco Cuba holidays and sustainable Cuban Eco-tourism. On the top of the itinerary of activities there is a series of guided tours and talks about the massive Zapata Swamp biosphere reserve, the largest protected area in the Caribbean and the region's best preserved wetlands. The Zapata Swamp is home to more than 900 autochthonous plant species, 175 species of birds, 31 species of reptiles and more than 1,000 species of invertebrates. Some of the most notable are local endemics to Cuba, including the Zapata Wren, Zapata Rail, and the Zapata Sparrow.
The Zapata Swamp is also visited by 65 species of birds during their migration pattern from North America through the Caribbean to South America. The swamp in total is more than one million acres (4,000 km²) and is administered as one of 14 municipalities of the Matanzas Province; the municipal seat is located at Playa Larga.
The final day of the fair will feature a boat tour of the Laguna del Tesoro, an excursion to the Guama Tourist Center and the historical Taina Village, and a visit to the Crocodile hatchery and sanctuary. So far these incredible lush areas of virtually untocuhed nature and ancient heritage have been so protected that the construction of any Cuba hotels anywhere near is unthinkable. Nevertheless tours are frequently done from nearby hotels at Guardalavaca for Playa Larga excursions and at Giron for the Zapata Swamp and Guama.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...