The Eco-Cuba holiday appeal explored - Cuban Ecotourism Fair to be Held in September
The Tournat 2009 Fair will be held in Cuba from 14-18 September at Playa Larga, one of the island's pioneer heartlands of eco-tourism. This year the aims are to discuss the potential for nature tourism and the integration of more eco-friendly activities
For long Cuba has largely been seen as a popular holiday destination for its richness of culture, turbulent political past, peculiar revolution history and old decadence glamour. All this coupled with pristine Caribbean beaches that prompt for the most idyllic Cuba holidays! However it has only been in recent years that the government has made an effort to uncover the hidden secrets of the island's blooming flora and fauna in order to include it in the island's tourism offering.
A reflection of this is the continuing of Cuba's eco-fair which will hold its annual ecotourism fair from September 14 to 18 at Playa Larga, one of Cuba's premier heartlands of ecotourism. The Tournat 2009 this year aims promote and discuss the potentials for naturalist tourism for incorporating more eco-friendly activities to the Cuba holiday brochure.
Located at the northern end of the Bay of Pigs (Bahia de Cochinos) and in the province of Matanzas, Playa Larga is a breathtakingly lush region named after its long beach and offering magnificent diving and hiking opportunities with rivers, lakes and nature reserves including the world renowned Zapata Swamp (Cienaga de Zapata), home to a legendary community of endemic crocodiles.
This year's Eco-fair is jam-packed full of guest speakers, tours, presentations and cultural events to showcase the best the island has to offer in terms of Eco Cuba holidays and sustainable Cuban Eco-tourism. On the top of the itinerary of activities there is a series of guided tours and talks about the massive Zapata Swamp biosphere reserve, the largest protected area in the Caribbean and the region's best preserved wetlands. The Zapata Swamp is home to more than 900 autochthonous plant species, 175 species of birds, 31 species of reptiles and more than 1,000 species of invertebrates. Some of the most notable are local endemics to Cuba, including the Zapata Wren, Zapata Rail, and the Zapata Sparrow.
The Zapata Swamp is also visited by 65 species of birds during their migration pattern from North America through the Caribbean to South America. The swamp in total is more than one million acres (4,000 km²) and is administered as one of 14 municipalities of the Matanzas Province; the municipal seat is located at Playa Larga.
The final day of the fair will feature a boat tour of the Laguna del Tesoro, an excursion to the Guama Tourist Center and the historical Taina Village, and a visit to the Crocodile hatchery and sanctuary. So far these incredible lush areas of virtually untocuhed nature and ancient heritage have been so protected that the construction of any Cuba hotels anywhere near is unthinkable. Nevertheless tours are frequently done from nearby hotels at Guardalavaca for Playa Larga excursions and at Giron for the Zapata Swamp and Guama.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...