Future of the Cuba holiday industry is in its Culture
The National Association of Cuban Writers and Artists (UNEAC) and the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) after discussing Cuba's appeal factor came to the conclusion that the island's main attraction relied on its culture.
The image that Cuba projects to the world as a holiday destination has once again been a topic of discussion among the representatives of the island's National Association of Cuban Writers and Artists (UNEAC) and the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) at a meeting in Havana. When discussing the idea of how Cuba holidays should be regarded by visitors, the debate was shaped by 2 different points of view: making a different culture for tourism on the one side and inserting visitors into the island's artistic life on the other.
As most participants agreed and Tourism Minsiter Manuel Marrero declared; the future of Cuba holidays lies mainly in the cultural strengths of the nation, thus reinforcing the importance of making culture a stronger driving motor for the development of the island's tourism.
Among the actions directed at achieving a greater diversity of cultural activities on offer for visitors during a Cuba Holiday, Marrero noted the decision to dedicate the next International Tourism Fair to the integration of tourism and culture and the Varadero International Music Festival and Jazz Festival in September, which he said will provide opportunities to showcase the Cuban musical traditions and the island's original and folkloric beats.
When addressing the problematic issue of the relationship between the tourist industry and Cuban artists brought up by the UNEAC sessions, the Tourism Minister said new norms were to be implemented between the Ministries of Tourism and Culture to resolve the problems of non-payment to artists and to expand the participation and display of the best of the country's art at Cuba hotels. The effort will also include the promotion of Cuba as an exceptional Caribbean holiday destination for its cultural and patrimonial values as well as involving tourism in the local carnivals, popular fiestas and other national music events.
A lot of effort has already been made by the city's historian; Eusebio Leal to restore old and decaying colonial building to transform them into unique boutique Cuba hotels at Old Havana, which are restored in-keeping with the style, grace and allure of the originals belonging to that bygone era. Marrero also explained that further study has been carried out on the ancient abandoned buildings to extend restoration works to other areas of the island and thus allow a recovery of Cuba's heritage whilst catering for the growing demand for culture tourism in Cuba holidays. Among the places to be restored, the Valle de los Ingenios (Sugar Mill Valley) will be prioritised as it currently stands on the verge of being lost to neglect.
Members of the UNEAC also mentioned the need to plan more tours of museums and places of historic importance, highlighting the request to give a kind and decent treatment to artists linked to tourism whilst forging a serious plan for the long term inclusion of cultural programmes into the tourist packages for Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...