Future of the Cuba holiday industry is in its Culture
The National Association of Cuban Writers and Artists (UNEAC) and the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) after discussing Cuba's appeal factor came to the conclusion that the island's main attraction relied on its culture.
The image that Cuba projects to the world as a holiday destination has once again been a topic of discussion among the representatives of the island's National Association of Cuban Writers and Artists (UNEAC) and the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) at a meeting in Havana. When discussing the idea of how Cuba holidays should be regarded by visitors, the debate was shaped by 2 different points of view: making a different culture for tourism on the one side and inserting visitors into the island's artistic life on the other.
As most participants agreed and Tourism Minsiter Manuel Marrero declared; the future of Cuba holidays lies mainly in the cultural strengths of the nation, thus reinforcing the importance of making culture a stronger driving motor for the development of the island's tourism.
Among the actions directed at achieving a greater diversity of cultural activities on offer for visitors during a Cuba Holiday, Marrero noted the decision to dedicate the next International Tourism Fair to the integration of tourism and culture and the Varadero International Music Festival and Jazz Festival in September, which he said will provide opportunities to showcase the Cuban musical traditions and the island's original and folkloric beats.
When addressing the problematic issue of the relationship between the tourist industry and Cuban artists brought up by the UNEAC sessions, the Tourism Minister said new norms were to be implemented between the Ministries of Tourism and Culture to resolve the problems of non-payment to artists and to expand the participation and display of the best of the country's art at Cuba hotels. The effort will also include the promotion of Cuba as an exceptional Caribbean holiday destination for its cultural and patrimonial values as well as involving tourism in the local carnivals, popular fiestas and other national music events.
A lot of effort has already been made by the city's historian; Eusebio Leal to restore old and decaying colonial building to transform them into unique boutique Cuba hotels at Old Havana, which are restored in-keeping with the style, grace and allure of the originals belonging to that bygone era. Marrero also explained that further study has been carried out on the ancient abandoned buildings to extend restoration works to other areas of the island and thus allow a recovery of Cuba's heritage whilst catering for the growing demand for culture tourism in Cuba holidays. Among the places to be restored, the Valle de los Ingenios (Sugar Mill Valley) will be prioritised as it currently stands on the verge of being lost to neglect.
Members of the UNEAC also mentioned the need to plan more tours of museums and places of historic importance, highlighting the request to give a kind and decent treatment to artists linked to tourism whilst forging a serious plan for the long term inclusion of cultural programmes into the tourist packages for Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...