Future of the Cuba holiday industry is in its Culture
The National Association of Cuban Writers and Artists (UNEAC) and the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) after discussing Cuba's appeal factor came to the conclusion that the island's main attraction relied on its culture.
The image that Cuba projects to the world as a holiday destination has once again been a topic of discussion among the representatives of the island's National Association of Cuban Writers and Artists (UNEAC) and the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) at a meeting in Havana. When discussing the idea of how Cuba holidays should be regarded by visitors, the debate was shaped by 2 different points of view: making a different culture for tourism on the one side and inserting visitors into the island's artistic life on the other.
As most participants agreed and Tourism Minsiter Manuel Marrero declared; the future of Cuba holidays lies mainly in the cultural strengths of the nation, thus reinforcing the importance of making culture a stronger driving motor for the development of the island's tourism.
Among the actions directed at achieving a greater diversity of cultural activities on offer for visitors during a Cuba Holiday, Marrero noted the decision to dedicate the next International Tourism Fair to the integration of tourism and culture and the Varadero International Music Festival and Jazz Festival in September, which he said will provide opportunities to showcase the Cuban musical traditions and the island's original and folkloric beats.
When addressing the problematic issue of the relationship between the tourist industry and Cuban artists brought up by the UNEAC sessions, the Tourism Minister said new norms were to be implemented between the Ministries of Tourism and Culture to resolve the problems of non-payment to artists and to expand the participation and display of the best of the country's art at Cuba hotels. The effort will also include the promotion of Cuba as an exceptional Caribbean holiday destination for its cultural and patrimonial values as well as involving tourism in the local carnivals, popular fiestas and other national music events.
A lot of effort has already been made by the city's historian; Eusebio Leal to restore old and decaying colonial building to transform them into unique boutique Cuba hotels at Old Havana, which are restored in-keeping with the style, grace and allure of the originals belonging to that bygone era. Marrero also explained that further study has been carried out on the ancient abandoned buildings to extend restoration works to other areas of the island and thus allow a recovery of Cuba's heritage whilst catering for the growing demand for culture tourism in Cuba holidays. Among the places to be restored, the Valle de los Ingenios (Sugar Mill Valley) will be prioritised as it currently stands on the verge of being lost to neglect.
Members of the UNEAC also mentioned the need to plan more tours of museums and places of historic importance, highlighting the request to give a kind and decent treatment to artists linked to tourism whilst forging a serious plan for the long term inclusion of cultural programmes into the tourist packages for Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...