Cuba holidays are an ideal Caribbean destination
The UNWTO has declared Cuba an ideal holiday destination after having arrived in Havana to discuss projects with the Cuban Tourism Ministry. The UNWTO emphasized on the island's amazing potential & the possibility of expanding its product offering
The Secretary-General ad interim of the UN World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) has declared Cuba an ideal travel and holiday destination for tourists. Having arrived in Havana last week to discuss cooperation projects with the Cuban Tourism Ministry, Taleb Rifai expressed his opinion that Cuba was ready to offer high quality services to visitors and become one of the best destinations not only for its natural resources but also for its cultural richness and diversity.
Commenting on Cuba's amazing potential as a holiday destination the UNWTO official emphasised on the island's possibility of further developing and diversifying its product offerings such as with the opening of new Cuba hotels in undeveloped areas and praised the country's existing values such as its music, food and particularly the Cubans' exceptional hospitality and love.
During his press conference in Havana he reiterated his organisation's support of the development of the leisure industry in the Caribbean archipelago and further expressed his impression that there was much to be gained from Cuba holidays for travellers and visitors. The Cuba experience, he declared, was something that could really enrich a travel experience.
Cuba travel has been much enhanced during the few last years as the Cuban government has made every effort to improve its tourism infrastructure with the building of new Cuba hotels and the opening up of new Cuba resorts in some areas that were practically unexploited before. The increase in volume of visitors over the last years has meant that a lot more has been done to improve the whole Cuba package, with the creation of Cuba excursions, new Cuba tours and the addition of many new Cuba experiences for tourists to enjoy.
The UNWTO Secretary-General's only last remark was that he wished that all US citizens could freely enjoy Cuba travel and access to the island but noted that the lifting of all travel restrictions depended only on the US government. "Nevertheless, we know that American private tour-operators support efforts to eliminate these restrictions" Rifai pointed out.
For his part, the UNWTO's regional representative for the Americas, Carlos Vogeler (who accompanied Rifai on his trip) also added that, in spite of the current world crisis, tourism in Cuba and in other Latin American countries continues to grow over the international average. Rifai concluded lastly by adding that Cuba travel is indeed growing stronger each day and on an ending note he invited travellers around the world to add this to their list of holiday destinations not to miss.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...