Sri Lanka blossoming as it shakes off war gloom
As Sri Lanka's 30 year old civil war finally came to an end in May 2009 a new period of prolonged peace sparks much optimism for the country's tourism future and the creation of new facilities & development of new resorts becomes the subject of talk
The charming island of Sri Lanka who has long been a favourite holiday destination for British travellers has finally reached a euphoric mood of relief and celebration as its 30 year old civil war finally came to an end last month. As a period of prolonged peace dawns on the island there is much optimism for a new era of blossoming tourism and the creation of new hospitality facilities and the exploration of new areas to add to its already ravishing product portfolio.
Soon the country will see a period of revamping and flourishing, with internal flights expected to resume shortly and major new construction plans to go ahead with new highways already being scheduled up and hotel groups getting in line for making the most of the island's stunning east coast which will make the country a true year-round beach destination.
Many wildlife safari options will open up to rival those in Africa with their huge herds of elephants and amazingly enough also one of the highest concentration of leopards in the world. Another new feature to be reintroduced to the island will be the use of helicopter hotel transfers for the Tea estates and the more upmarket hotels . something that proved impossible during the war years.
Although it might probably take longer for the Far North to completely open up (perhaps from 2 to 3 years minimum) the iconic journey by train that goes from Jaffna to Colombo (and vice versa) will be back on the tourist agenda together with visits to Hindu temples, bird sanctuaries as well as the opening of some good diving & snorkelling sites.
Sanjika Perera, director of UK & Ireland Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau said: "With peace comes hope for a revitalised tourism product. Some of the island's most beautiful beaches, in the east, will once again be accessible. Yala National Park will also be re-opened to tourists; visitors will be able to experience some of Sri Lanka's best wildlife including leopard and elephant".
"Now at last Sri Lanka can offer a completely peaceful, terrorist free option. Moreover tourists will know that their money is contributing to the rebuilding of the community as a whole."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Mount Lavinia is one of Sri Lanka's oldest hotel and with its impressive 200 plus years of heritage it has...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...