Sri Lanka blossoming as it shakes off war gloom
As Sri Lanka's 30 year old civil war finally came to an end in May 2009 a new period of prolonged peace sparks much optimism for the country's tourism future and the creation of new facilities & development of new resorts becomes the subject of talk
The charming island of Sri Lanka who has long been a favourite holiday destination for British travellers has finally reached a euphoric mood of relief and celebration as its 30 year old civil war finally came to an end last month. As a period of prolonged peace dawns on the island there is much optimism for a new era of blossoming tourism and the creation of new hospitality facilities and the exploration of new areas to add to its already ravishing product portfolio.
Soon the country will see a period of revamping and flourishing, with internal flights expected to resume shortly and major new construction plans to go ahead with new highways already being scheduled up and hotel groups getting in line for making the most of the island's stunning east coast which will make the country a true year-round beach destination.
Many wildlife safari options will open up to rival those in Africa with their huge herds of elephants and amazingly enough also one of the highest concentration of leopards in the world. Another new feature to be reintroduced to the island will be the use of helicopter hotel transfers for the Tea estates and the more upmarket hotels . something that proved impossible during the war years.
Although it might probably take longer for the Far North to completely open up (perhaps from 2 to 3 years minimum) the iconic journey by train that goes from Jaffna to Colombo (and vice versa) will be back on the tourist agenda together with visits to Hindu temples, bird sanctuaries as well as the opening of some good diving & snorkelling sites.
Sanjika Perera, director of UK & Ireland Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau said: "With peace comes hope for a revitalised tourism product. Some of the island's most beautiful beaches, in the east, will once again be accessible. Yala National Park will also be re-opened to tourists; visitors will be able to experience some of Sri Lanka's best wildlife including leopard and elephant".
"Now at last Sri Lanka can offer a completely peaceful, terrorist free option. Moreover tourists will know that their money is contributing to the rebuilding of the community as a whole."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Take advantage of a this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...