BA to launch new routes to Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh
From 25th October 2009, British Airways will start servicing 2 new destination routes with a thrice-weekly frequency of direct scheduled flights to Male in the Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt. The new routes will be operated by Boeing 777 aircraft
Starting from 25th October this year British Airways plans to launch 2 new destination routes with a thrice weekly frequency of direct scheduled flights to Male in the Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt.
For BA this will be their first time flying to the Maldives and tickets will be priced from £629 return. However, for their Sharm El Sheikh route the story pictures differently as they return to serving this destination with a lead-in price of £339, marking the airline's return to the Red Sea resort which had been previously served by GB Airways.
These new routes will be operated by Boeing 777 aircraft and the new flights will come into operation on 25th October 2009 but can already be booked in advance through the airline's main website.
British Airways's Head of UK & Ireland sales has said: "These new routes will be great assets to the BA network and a real winner with customers.
They are both perfect holiday destinations, known for their great beaches and fantastic diving. We're particularly pleased to be serving a completely new destination, the Maldives, and returning to Sharm el Sheikh.
We expect both routes to perform well." On another note, BA is also planning to launch 2 further new routes to the Caribbean for this autumn, flying to the Dominican Republic and Jamaica. Flights will be operated from London Gatwick with a twice-weekly frequency to Montego Bay in Jamaica and to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.
Both services are set to launch on October 25th and tickets are already on sale with lead-in fares starting at £559 to Punta Cana and £634 to Montego Bay. As well as the new routes, BA will also be increasing the frequency of its scheduled flights to some of its existing destinations in the Caribbean.
Flights from Gatwick to St Lucia will increase from 3 to 5 a week, Barbados from 9 to 10 while Port of Spain in Trinidad will see another increase from 3 to 5, making it a total of 45 flights a week with BA being the airline that operates the most flights between the UK and the Caribbean with a range of 13 different destination across the region.
Richard Tams also commented on these new routes by adding: "These new routes and increased frequencies underline our commitment to the Caribbean. It's a popular destination with our customers and the increase in the number of flights is in response to demand."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- Enjoy $200 Resort Coupons to use on Spa Treatments, Romantic Dinners and more
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
- Save more this March with discount savings plus 1st Child stays and Plays Free
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...