BA to launch new routes to Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh
From 25th October 2009, British Airways will start servicing 2 new destination routes with a thrice-weekly frequency of direct scheduled flights to Male in the Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt. The new routes will be operated by Boeing 777 aircraft
Starting from 25th October this year British Airways plans to launch 2 new destination routes with a thrice weekly frequency of direct scheduled flights to Male in the Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt.
For BA this will be their first time flying to the Maldives and tickets will be priced from £629 return. However, for their Sharm El Sheikh route the story pictures differently as they return to serving this destination with a lead-in price of £339, marking the airline's return to the Red Sea resort which had been previously served by GB Airways.
These new routes will be operated by Boeing 777 aircraft and the new flights will come into operation on 25th October 2009 but can already be booked in advance through the airline's main website.
British Airways's Head of UK & Ireland sales has said: "These new routes will be great assets to the BA network and a real winner with customers.
They are both perfect holiday destinations, known for their great beaches and fantastic diving. We're particularly pleased to be serving a completely new destination, the Maldives, and returning to Sharm el Sheikh.
We expect both routes to perform well." On another note, BA is also planning to launch 2 further new routes to the Caribbean for this autumn, flying to the Dominican Republic and Jamaica. Flights will be operated from London Gatwick with a twice-weekly frequency to Montego Bay in Jamaica and to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.
Both services are set to launch on October 25th and tickets are already on sale with lead-in fares starting at £559 to Punta Cana and £634 to Montego Bay. As well as the new routes, BA will also be increasing the frequency of its scheduled flights to some of its existing destinations in the Caribbean.
Flights from Gatwick to St Lucia will increase from 3 to 5 a week, Barbados from 9 to 10 while Port of Spain in Trinidad will see another increase from 3 to 5, making it a total of 45 flights a week with BA being the airline that operates the most flights between the UK and the Caribbean with a range of 13 different destination across the region.
Richard Tams also commented on these new routes by adding: "These new routes and increased frequencies underline our commitment to the Caribbean. It's a popular destination with our customers and the increase in the number of flights is in response to demand."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Save £450 per person with our current Flash Sale.
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...