BA to launch new routes to Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh
From 25th October 2009, British Airways will start servicing 2 new destination routes with a thrice-weekly frequency of direct scheduled flights to Male in the Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt. The new routes will be operated by Boeing 777 aircraft
Starting from 25th October this year British Airways plans to launch 2 new destination routes with a thrice weekly frequency of direct scheduled flights to Male in the Maldives and Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt.
For BA this will be their first time flying to the Maldives and tickets will be priced from £629 return. However, for their Sharm El Sheikh route the story pictures differently as they return to serving this destination with a lead-in price of £339, marking the airline's return to the Red Sea resort which had been previously served by GB Airways.
These new routes will be operated by Boeing 777 aircraft and the new flights will come into operation on 25th October 2009 but can already be booked in advance through the airline's main website.
British Airways's Head of UK & Ireland sales has said: "These new routes will be great assets to the BA network and a real winner with customers.
They are both perfect holiday destinations, known for their great beaches and fantastic diving. We're particularly pleased to be serving a completely new destination, the Maldives, and returning to Sharm el Sheikh.
We expect both routes to perform well." On another note, BA is also planning to launch 2 further new routes to the Caribbean for this autumn, flying to the Dominican Republic and Jamaica. Flights will be operated from London Gatwick with a twice-weekly frequency to Montego Bay in Jamaica and to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.
Both services are set to launch on October 25th and tickets are already on sale with lead-in fares starting at £559 to Punta Cana and £634 to Montego Bay. As well as the new routes, BA will also be increasing the frequency of its scheduled flights to some of its existing destinations in the Caribbean.
Flights from Gatwick to St Lucia will increase from 3 to 5 a week, Barbados from 9 to 10 while Port of Spain in Trinidad will see another increase from 3 to 5, making it a total of 45 flights a week with BA being the airline that operates the most flights between the UK and the Caribbean with a range of 13 different destination across the region.
Richard Tams also commented on these new routes by adding: "These new routes and increased frequencies underline our commitment to the Caribbean. It's a popular destination with our customers and the increase in the number of flights is in response to demand."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...