Cuba Travel in best shape ever as Tourism blooms and grows by 2.1%
According to Cuba's Ministry of Tourism, Cuba travel is booming. With a 2.1% growth on the number of arrivals from January to May 2009, reaching more than 1.21 million of visitors; the popularity of Cuba travel is seeing an unprecedented figure increase
According to Prensa Latina Cuban Tourism has seen a boost over this year's early months in the number of arrivals to the island from January to May 2009. According to an official report from MINTUR (Cuban Ministry of Tourism) published on Friday, Cuban tourism grew 2.1% with the number of arrivals in the period form January to May reaching more than 1.21 million of visitors.
As more holidaymakers are seduced by the unique Cuban appeal, the option of a Cuba holiday has never looked more appealing to British travellers. Amidst the general travel stagnation as a result of the global recession, this Caribbean island has managed to keep attracting and charming visitors from all over the world.
Cuba travel has never looked in better shape and this is partly due to the country's organic appeal by being the home of Salsa, Rumba and Cigars as well as the historical value of its Revolution.
People are rushing to see the last years under the reign of the Castro brothers and take in much of the romantic Che Guevara allure before one day it all changes and Americans flock the island ruining the olden-age / stuck-in-time mystification of the country.
But ultimately Cuba's success as a travel destination is not all down to its cultural and historical value but also thanks to the development of new facilities being built and improved around the island.
New Cuba hotels have been added to their product portfolio, also expanding and broadening the Cuba holidays options by opening up new destinations in the island, such as Cienfuegos and Vinales. The opening of new Varadero hotels has seen an improvement in the standards of accommodation and has responded more adequately to the increase in demand for more upscale resorts with the opening.
On the other hand Spanish hotel chain Barcelo plans the opening of 6 new Cuba hotels between now and 2010 in the island's keys of Cayo Santa Maria and Santa Lucia.
During last month's International Fair "FITCUBA 2008" which took place in Havana, the authorities declared that 2008 had been the best year in Cuba for tourism performance and now they are awaiting better results this year.
The popularity of Cuba travel saw a total of 164,679 tourists arriving in May, representing 3.7%, 12.1% and 6.2% respectively more when compared to equal periods in 2008, 2007, 2006.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...