Half Moon Jamaica Awarded High Green Globe Compliance Score
The Half Moon Jamaica resort has recently been awarded a Green Globe compliance score of 88 percent for its environmental and sustainable practices. The luxury resort has recently undertaken a turtle-watching programme that will help protect critically endangered Hawksbill Turtles. The seven-month programme enables the turtles to have a safe journey from beaches to the sea, and guests can take part in the experience.
The Half Moon Jamaica resort is renowned for its luxury accommodation and facilities and picturesque beachfront setting. Now, the upscale resort has also been recognised for its environmental practices and management by Green Globe.
The resort, which sits on 400 acres of lush grounds along a two-mile-long beachfront in Montego Bay, Jamaica, was awarded an impressive Green Globe compliance score of 88 percent. Over the past year, the resort’s management and team has focused a variety of environmental and community initiatives.
These include a recent turtle-watching programme that helps endangered hawksbills Turtles cross the beaches safely to the sea. Running for around seven months of the year, the project involves creating a safe environment for the turtles to lay their eggs on the beaches. Experts identify and monitor the nests, and help with the release of hatchlings to the sea. The data is also shared with the local environment agency to help track the species. Guests and resort staff are informed on best practices regarding turtle safety and are alerted to possible nesting sites on the beach.
“As a company that is committed to sustainable tourism, we are happy to have successfully completed the re-certification program with Green Globe.”
Commented Sandro Fabris, the General Manager at Half Moon resort.
“The environment is the core of our business and our continual efforts are a small price to pay to ensure that we look after and preserve it. This achievement will also serve as a reward to our hardworking staff members who make certain that we reuse, recycle and conserve in every possible way that we can.”
The beachfront resort also operates activities involving the wider community in Jamaica. The SOS Children’s Village has been a part of Half Moon’s charitable scheme since 1972. The village provides a home for orphaned and abandoned children, and Half Moon recently refurbished the accommodation for the children and their caregivers. Half Moon also provides financial assistance every month, and they offer mentorship programme, plus the chance for children from the home to enjoy a day of fun at the resort every month.
At the resort, a series of initiatives and schemes are in place to reduce waste, conserve energy, and minimize negative environmental impacts. The property recycles used cooking oil through RYCo Jamaica Ltd, who use it locally as a raw material to manufacture animal feed. Since the start of 2018, nearly five tons of paper, cardboard and plastic have been collected for recycling at the resort. In the kitchen, waste is recycled by Carib Share Bio-Gas, who convert the biodegradable waste into biogas which is then used to generate electricity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...