Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to put the focus on protecting coral reefs
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
From 4th to 8th July, Barbados will celebrate its second Dive Festival, and this year’s edition will put the focus on the preservation of the island’s coral reefs and on improving conditions to sustain the fish and sea turtle population in order to reverse its downward trend.
The call to action that asks for more efforts being put into the conservation of the island’s waters, comes from Andre Miller, a representative from Barbados Dive Operator Association, who recently told an audience at UMI Restaurant in Sugar Bay, Hastings that 99 percent of the island’s coral reef is suffering from overfishing. In his address, he spoke of scuba diving as a recreational sport being a driving force to take further measures to protect sea life:
“We [want] the world to know that Barbados is open for diving and we [want] to show the issues that we have to deal with."
After explaining the imminent danger that coral systems were in and the immense challenge of protecting them from overfishing, Miller added:
“All of us need healthy beaches [and] all of our healthy beaches need a healthy fish population. We can’t have one without the other and healthy fish need a healthy coral reef. Barbados is the only true coral island in the Southern Caribbean and we need to stand up and shout this. We need to protect it.”
Speaking about the upcoming Dive Festival 2018 next month, Miller said it had earned international recognition in record time, with members of the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) attending this year’s event.
“PADI normally takes a decade before coming to national events. We got PADI in Barbados in year two. Take a bow. Certainly, we are doing something right.”
Turning his attention to the dwindling population of sea turtles, Miller highlighted the unique value each live turtle had and the financial rewards that could derive from them, stating that just one single turtle was valued at $1.7 million.
To improve the living conditions and natural habitat of sea turtles, Miller said that during the celebration of Barbados’ Dive FEst 2018 they would put a portion of the funds obtained from their crazy boat race towards their sea turtle project.
Rudy Grant, Chief Executive of the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association took the opportunity to highlight how the annual celebration of Dive Fest provided fantastic educational opportunities for kids, both visitors and locals.
A great excuse for a summer Barbados holiday, Dive Fest kicks off early next month at 6 p.m.with a Conservation and Screening Open at Copacabana in Bay Street. For more details on the festival’s full programme, you can check the event’s official web page - divefestbarbados.com
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- Save up to 50% off with the May FLASH SALE
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...