Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain in St Lucia Celebrate Earth Day with “End Plastic Pollution” Theme
To mark this year’s Earth Day, the luxurious Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain resorts in St Lucia launched the “End Plastic Pollution” theme. The resorts are committed to eliminating 90 per cent of single-use plastics from their operations, and they have already found alternatives to plastics and Styrofoam for straws, cutlery, food containers and cups.
The Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain resorts in St Lucia have reaffirmed their commitment to protecting the environment by launching the “End Plastic Pollution” them for Earth Day. The two luxury resorts are eliminating 90 per cent of single-use plastics from their operations.
The two beachfront resorts in St Lucia started eliminating plastic in 2015, and since then, they have found alternatives to plastics and Styrofoam for cutlery, cups, straws, and food containers. These have been replaced with wooden, metal and melamine products, as well as corn starch and sugarcane bagasse-based alternatives.
Nick Troubetzkoy, the Managing Director of Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain, stated:
“We encourage the hospitality sector to examine closely their use of plastics and engage in dialogue with their teams.”
“Often the most creative and practical solutions lay within your team and getting your staff directly involved in coming up with solutions also helps ensure buy-in to the commitment cycle needed in order to transform.”
The resort no longer offers plastic cups at the staff hydration stations, and employees now bring their own reusable cups or bottles. This has resulted in eliminating more than 500 single-use plastic containers every day. Employees also use metal cutlery in the staff canteen, and they bring their own reusable containers when taking food back to their desks.
Single-use plastic bags have now been replaced with heavy duty reusable bags by groundskeepers, which are also compostable. Plastic straws are no longer available at the resorts, and corn starch alternatives are available.
On Earth Day, which took place on 22nd April 2018, both resorts offered a series of activities that guests could take part in to celebrate the day. These included the planting of cacao trees on the resorts’ organic Emerald Farm. The farm produces all of the fresh produce used in their restaurants. Guests also took part in enjoy a “Low Carbon Dining Experience”, which used zero carbon-producing cooking methods, from marinating and curing to seawater poaching. Chefs used wood ovens and charcoal grills for meals to reduce the carbon footprint.
There was also an underwater clean-up dive event for scuba diving enthusiasts. The resorts’ onsite scuba diving centre, Scuba St Lucia, won the PADI Green Star Award for its commitment to conservation in 2017.
The two resorts operate a “water is life” water management philosophy. This includes the use of non-toxic cleaning products, and onsite wastewater treatment plant, plus an independent water supply onsite, so the resorts do not burden the local Soufriere community’s supply.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Summer Sale with incredible savings of upto 45% in all room types until 3rd January 2019
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystalline waters of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Exclusive Half Term special offer, limited availability so book now!
- Kids can enjoy a playground as well as a kids' club open daily for 2 to 11 year olds
- Non-motorised water sports including hobie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Summer Sale now extended with discounted savings for stays until 2019 of upto 50%
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
Guests will be delighted by Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa , set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of Global Gourmet® options and leisure facilities
- The Red Lane Spa® offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Situated in the heart of Gros Islet is the magnificent Bay Gardens Inn, a classy resort set in lush tropical gardens....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings out...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...