Virgin Atlantic launches second daily service to Johannesburg
Virgin Atlantic recently announced that it will offer a second daily flight from London Heathrow to Johannesburg. The new flights went on sale in late March and the service will begin flying in winter 2018. With two flights per day to Johannesburg, Virgin Atlantic expects to carry more than 300,000 passengers annually.
Virgin Atlantic Airlines has announced a second daily service from London Heathrow to Johannesburg Or Tambo aiport. The new flights went on sale on March 24 and will be operated by a Boeing 787-9.
The service will begin flying in winter 2018 with the first flight departing on October 28, 2018. With two flights per day, Virgin Atlantic expects to carry more than 300,000 passengers annually.
The departing flight will leave Heathrow at 16:45 and land in Johannesburg at 05:40 local time. The service will be the first Heathrow flight to land each morning.
The return flight will leave Johannesburg at 22:20 landing back into Heathrow at 07:30. The route has been timed to enable customers to easily connect onto flights with Virgin Atlantic and Delta.
Shai Weiss, chief commercial officer at Virgin Atlantic, said:
“Virgin Atlantic has been proud to serve South Africa for over 20 years. Johannesburg is one of the most popular destinations in our network so we’re delighted to add a second daily service to create even more travel opportunities for our customers.”
The new South African flights will offer 36 Economy Delight seats on each service—with priority check-in and boarding, free seat selection and 34-inch extra legroom seats.
Johannesburg is one of the most popular destinations in Africa and offers a number of attractions to suit any traveller’s taste. The city is rich with history and there are numerous points in Johannesburg relating to the history of Apartheid and the life of Nelson Mandela. Just beyond the city is the Cradle of Humankind, built on the site where two million year old human remains were found.
For visitors with more of an interest in the present than the past, Johannesburg offers a vibrant nightlife with numerous clubs and bars. Shopping is also a popular pastime in the city, which is home to several huge malls. And art lovers will find much to love in Johannesburg. The city is home to a wide array of art galleries, art museums, and murals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Complimentary shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...