Costa Rica records increase in arrivals of UK holiday-makers
New statistics from the Costa Rica Tourism Board have revealed that the number of travellers from the UK increased by 6.7 percent in 2017 compared to 2016. The number of UK tourists visiting Costa Rica totalled 76,173 last year, making it the Central American country’s largest source market in Europe. This has been helped by an increase in flights between London and San Jose.
According to the Costa Rica Tourism Board, the number of travellers from the UK visiting the Central American country increased by 6.7 per cent compared to 2016. Last year, a total of 76,173 UK tourists visited the beautiful nation.
The growth in numbers places the UK firmly in the top spot as Costa Rica’s largest source market in Europe. The UK, is followed by Germany (70,960 tourists), France (69,803 tourists) and Spain (69,782 tourists.
Rob Wilson, the UK representative for the Costa Rica Tourism Board. stated:
“We are extremely pleased to see the continued growth of visitors from the UK to Costa Rica, helped greatly by the BA route.
“The green Central American country is truly making a space for those interested in unique wildlife and stunning landscapes. With these natural assets, we expect this growth to continue in the future.”
The number of travellers to Costa Rica from Ireland also increased last year. In 2017, a total of 4,321 Irish tourists headed to the nation, which was an 8.6 per cent rise compared to 2016. In total last year, Costa Rica received 2,959,869 global visitors, which was a 1.2 per cent growth compared to the previous year.
The increase in visitors from the UK has been helped by the launch of additional direct flights by British Airways from London Gatwick to Costa Rica’s capital San Jose. The vibrant city boasts an array of fantastic attractions including El Teatro Nacional, Mercado Central market, the Gold Museum, the Costa Rica National Museum, and the Botanical Gardens and Zoo.
Costa Rica boasts magnificent natural landscapes, making it one of the leading tourism destinations in Central America. A hotspot for adventure-seekers and nature lovers, travellers can enjoy exciting activities. These range from climbing up volcanoes, zip lining through tropical cloud forests, hiking through lush jungles, and surfing on two coastlines that face the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean.
The country’s strong environmental protection policies make it one of the greenest nations in the world, and 25 per cent of Costa Rica is protected with 22 22 national parks, 12 biological reserves, 10 wildlife reserves, and eight forest reserves.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...