Movenpick Hotel Colombo, Sri Lanka appoints new General Manager
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed a new General Manager. George Koumendakos has taken over the role at the luxury five-star hotel in Colombo city centre, and he brings more than 30 years of experience in the hospitality sector to the position. The hotel opened in January 2016 and has 219 guest rooms and suites, a spa, a rooftop bar, themed restaurant and an infinity pool.
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed George Koumendakos as its new General Manager. Mr Koumendakos brings more than 30 years of hospitality industry experience to the role, and it will be his first appointment in Sri Lanka.
Prior to his new position at the five-star hotel in Sri Lanka, Mr Koumendakos managed the Crowne Plaza Dubai-Deira in the UAE, as well as overlooking two other hotels in the area for four years. The Dutch national will bring his expertise rebranding, strategic management, leadership and marketing to his role at Movenpick Hotel Colombo.
Mr. Koumendakos, stated:
“I am delighted to join a unique and award-winning property that has already gained a strong position in the market.
“Continuing on this success, I hope to bring in more exciting new guest experiences together with the hotel’s dedicated team. It is a fantastic time to be based in Colombo with many things to look forward to as the property has not only introduced a unique hospitality concept in Sri Lanka, but also brought in a touch of attitude and altitude to the city of Colombo, reflecting the country’s energy and optimism.”
Mr Koumendakos began his career in hospitality as a trainee in 1986, at the Amsterdam Hilton hotel. He then worked for global hotel companies including Hilton Worldwide, Marriott International, Banyan Tree and the InterContinental Hotel Group for 20 years. He has held a series of senior positions across North America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa and Asia.
Movenpick Hotel Colombo sits in the cultural and commercial districts of Colombo, near attractions including the National Museum, Liberty Arcade and Colpetty market. The 24-storey building has a striking diamond-patterned façade, and a unique hanging garden with more than 14,310 plants and flowers. In the 219 guest rooms and suites, guests can enjoy flat-screen TVs, complimentary wireless Internet, and view overlooking the city or sparkling Indian Ocean.
Facilities at the luxury hotel include a rooftop infinity pool and a roof top bar, a modern fitness centre, the lavish Spa Ceylon, a beauty salon, a Jacuzzi, and five meeting rooms and a board room. The hotel has three themed restaurants including the Brasseries with French cuisine, the Robata Grill and Lounge Japanese Izakaya restaurant and sushi bar, and AYU with Swiss wines and cheese cellars. The rooftop Vistas Bar serves handcrafted cocktails and shisha while guests can unwind with music in the open-air lounge.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining and nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
Soak up the sunshine that pours down on Sri Lanka's Indian Ocean coastline at Tangerine Beach. Make the scenic resort...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...