Susannah Riggs recommends a temazcal therapy as the latest wellness treatment in Mexico
Writing for The Independent, Susannah Rigg raves about a traditional Mexican wellness treatment and spiritual ritual that's the newest trend in therapeutical wellbeing. While the result is feeling of mental and physical purification, the experience has its darker side, a sort of rite of passage that forces you to overcome your fears to reach the climatic Nirvana. Here we explore what a "temazcal" experience entails and where in Mexico you can enjoy one...for free!
A radical therapeutical experience for all the senses described as a “symbolic rebirth” in a “small, dark womb-like space” by Susannah Riggs on a recent article published in The Independent, the temazcal experience, as scary as it may sound for some, is fast becoming the number one natural healing therapy and wellness trend to try in Mexico.
The word “trend” may make "temazcal" sound like a new, hip and innovative treatment yet it couldn't be more ancient. The practice predates the colonial era and was used by Mexico's Aztec civilisations to cleanse both body and mind. Mesoamerican temazcales have been discovered at the heart of once great cities and they are as old as they are potentially life-changing.
A temazcal is a purposely-built small hut, with no windows or openings and whose only tiny door is closed shut for the duration of the ritual, leaving participants in pitch-black darkness amidst wisps of drifting smoke as water is poured over hot stones, time and time again, creating a sauna-like (only more intense) atmosphere in which many find it hard to breathe at first, but you gradually adjust as your pores and lungs open up to the chanting of a spiritual healer. The womb-like structure in which patients are enclosed acts like a channel connecting heaven and earth (the underworld) and serves as a place of transition in which to leave all the negative emotional energy behind and come out renewed. Refreshed. Reborn.
The experience is shocking for some, invigorating for most and part-scary, part-exhilarating due to the enclosure´s pitch black darkness, the rising steamy heat that gets overbearing after a while, the shaman's low chanting, the strong aroma of eucalyptus and mezcal, which make your eyes water. It's a lot to take in and everything at once. There's an element of claustrophobia that. If you are claustrophobic this might not be, but again, due to its spiritual nature, it might just be the thing to cure your fears. Who knows?
There are clear health benefits too beyond the spiritual resetting and chakra alignment, after shedding what feels like your bodyweight in sweat your skin will come out glisteningly soft, and before leaving the temazcal it will have been rubbed in pulverised orange (your hair smoothened with honey) and your lungs will have expanded, your heart rate raised and your mind uplifted.
Now is the time to tell you how you can enjoy a full temazcal experience for free, and without having to venture into more off the beaten path areas of Mexico. As I myself told you some time ago, AMResorts has introduced Temazcal therapies to five of its Mexico resorts, offering this ancient restorative ritual to guests on a complimentary basis. Provided as part of the resort´s signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept, the Temazcal ceremony is available at the Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya, Dreams Tulum Resort and Spa, Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf and Spa Resort, Huatulco Resort and Spa and Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.
All you need to do is book a stay at either of these beautiful properties and you'll automatically get the opportunity to experience this cleansing Mexican ritual for free and decide whether it is for your and whether it's worth all the hype or not. We can tell you one thing: it´s not for the faint-hearted!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Panama Jack Resorts Gran Caribe Cancun is a welcoming resort offering a touch of luxury with amazing service guaranteed
- Enjoy a great time in the Swimming Pools which include an Activity Pool, A Family Pool, Two Splash Pools with Slides and A Hot Tub
- Enjoy genuine authentic Mexican hospitality at the resort sure to make your holiday even more special and one that you will never forget
- Camp Jack is packed with cool activities and adventures like water sports, beach games, arts and crafts, and nightly shows. Mini Golf and Waterpark, complete with a pirate ship and medieval castle, allows the whole family to share some fun in the sun.
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...