Mauritius celebrates increase in UK travellers in 2017
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has revealed that the nation recorded a six percent increase in visitor arrivals from the UK in 2017, compared to the previous year. The Indian Ocean island nation received a five percent rise in global travellers during this period. This year, Mauritius marks its 50th anniversary of independence and will be hosting a series of events throughout the year to celebrate the occasion.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority has revealed new statistics that show an increase in visitors from the UK in 2017. The island nation recorded a visitor increase of six per cent last year, compared to the year before.
The growth indicates that the UK has overtaken Reunion as the second largest inbound market for Mauritius after France which continues to lead the way. The country also recorded a five per cent rise in international travellers during this period.
The growth in visitors from the UK has been helped by an increase in flights to Mauritius. British Airways added two more direct flights to its schedule for the 2017 winter season. Many of the island’s hotels, attractions and facilities have also been improved and refurbished which is said to have attributed to the increase in tourists.
This year, Mauritius will celebrate its 50th anniversary of independence. The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) will be working with travel agents and tourism organisations to promote the island to global travellers and offer celebrations throughout the year. There will also be a party in London in March to celebrate the milestone anniversary.
Mauritius is a tropical island in the Indian Ocean which boasts stunning natural landscapes, including white sandy palm-fringed beaches, turquoise sea, and emerald hills. The country is a favourite for romantic getaways, honeymoons, and fun family breaks where holidaymakers can enjoy a wide range of activities and soak up the all-year-round sunshine.
The capital city of Port Louis sit on the north-west coast of the island. Visitors can walk along streets lined with historic buildings and sites such as the Forte Adelaide, the UNESCO-listed Aapravasi Ghat, and Place D’Armes. At the bustling Caudan Waterfront, there are plenty of restaurants, cafes, and shops where tourists can pick up a local souvenir.
The Black River Gorges National Park has cascading waterfalls, thriving rainforests, and diverse wildlife species. For nature-loving tourists, the Crocodile and Giant Tortoise Park is a great place to catch sightings of these huge creatures and learn more about them.
The surrounding reefs are teeming with colourful marine creatures, and visitors can swim alongside sea turtles, parrot fish, groupers, angelfish, trumpet and clown fish, and moray eels. Divers can enjoy crystal-clear waters and access to several diving sites including cliffs, caverns, reefs, pinnacles and sunken shipwrecks. Tourists can participate in fun activities in the sea such as kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, snorkelling, and fishing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Make the most of the private beach, stunning sea views and a great selection of facilities that help you relieve yourself of the stresses of modern life.
- Revel in complimentary kayaking, glass bottom boating, tennis and more sports
- Enjoy culinary delights that suit all tastes from Mauritian, Asian and International to beach and poolside options
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Surrounded by two pristine beaches, three spectacular swimming pools and peaceful lagoons
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Enjoy the stunning Indian Ocean coastline at the Heritage Awali, sitting in a prime location to admire and savour the...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
Make Mauritius your next holiday and revel in the tropical sun while lounging on sugary white sands and drinking in the...