St Lucia's Department of Tourism launches new project
The island of Saint Lucia, already a popular travel destination, hopes to attract even more tourists to the island with the announcement of a new project. The Department of Tourism, Information and Broadcasting hosted an event on January 25 that featured numerous tourism officials. Each year, approximately 350,000 tourists visit Tobago, making tourism one of the island's most lucrative industries.
St. Lucia’s Department of Tourism, Information and Broadcasting, along with the Project Coordination Unit of the Department of Economic Development, launched a new tourism initiative on January 25, at the Finance Administrative Centre in downtown Castries.
The launch featured presentations from Hon. Dominic Fedee, Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister with responsibility for Tourism, Information and Broadcasting; and Hon. Guy Joseph, Minister for Economic Development, Housing, Urban Renewal, Transport and Civil Aviation.
Also scheduled was a representative of the financing agency, John Anderson, Senior Economist of the World Bank Group. The project titled OECS Regional Tourism Competitiveness Project (ORTCP) is a tourism enhancement project for Saint Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenada, and is meant to facilitate the movement of tourists between the participating countries using ferries; improve selected tourism sites; and strengthen the capacity for regional tourism market development.
Invited guests to the launch will include a mix of senior officials from government agencies and ministries, the private sector, including the hotel sector, tour operators, taxi associations, vendors association, sections of the business sector in Castries, and port authority officials.
Some of the direct benefits to Saint Lucia from this project will be the enhancement and beautification of the city of Castries; the upgrade of the Castries market; improvements in the flow of traffic in Castries; the development of a sustainable tourism plan for Saint Lucia; the strengthening of the Saint Lucia Tourism Authority (SLTA) website and enhancement of the destination’s online presence; the development of a pilot ferry corridor to facilitate intra-regional travel; and the acquisition of scanners, and other Information Technology (IT) needs for immigration and customs clearance at the ferry terminal.
Saint Lucia is a small island, but one that possesses enough natural beauty for a much larger nation. The island is home to a number of pristine beaches and all-inclusive resorts. Tourism is a major part of the island’s economy, with roughly 350,000 visitors arriving on the island each year. The island is especially popular as a cruise destination and for couples who choose a destination wedding.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Two Kids (4-12 years) stay and eat free
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its breathtaking views and its golden sand
- Book 7 nights and get US$150 Resort Credit per room category per stay
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystalline waters of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Exclusive Half Term special offer, limited availability so book now!
- Kids can enjoy a playground as well as a kids' club open daily for 2 to 11 year olds
- Non-motorised water sports including hobie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with a family and adults only section
- $1000 worth of complimentary resort credit
- Save up to a fantastic 60% plus up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Summer Sale now extended with discounted savings for stays until 2019
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
- Book one of the honeymoon and wedding packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...