St Lucia's Department of Tourism launches new project
The island of Saint Lucia, already a popular travel destination, hopes to attract even more tourists to the island with the announcement of a new project. The Department of Tourism, Information and Broadcasting hosted an event on January 25 that featured numerous tourism officials. Each year, approximately 350,000 tourists visit Tobago, making tourism one of the island's most lucrative industries.
St. Lucia’s Department of Tourism, Information and Broadcasting, along with the Project Coordination Unit of the Department of Economic Development, launched a new tourism initiative on January 25, at the Finance Administrative Centre in downtown Castries.
The launch featured presentations from Hon. Dominic Fedee, Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister with responsibility for Tourism, Information and Broadcasting; and Hon. Guy Joseph, Minister for Economic Development, Housing, Urban Renewal, Transport and Civil Aviation.
Also scheduled was a representative of the financing agency, John Anderson, Senior Economist of the World Bank Group. The project titled OECS Regional Tourism Competitiveness Project (ORTCP) is a tourism enhancement project for Saint Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenada, and is meant to facilitate the movement of tourists between the participating countries using ferries; improve selected tourism sites; and strengthen the capacity for regional tourism market development.
Invited guests to the launch will include a mix of senior officials from government agencies and ministries, the private sector, including the hotel sector, tour operators, taxi associations, vendors association, sections of the business sector in Castries, and port authority officials.
Some of the direct benefits to Saint Lucia from this project will be the enhancement and beautification of the city of Castries; the upgrade of the Castries market; improvements in the flow of traffic in Castries; the development of a sustainable tourism plan for Saint Lucia; the strengthening of the Saint Lucia Tourism Authority (SLTA) website and enhancement of the destination’s online presence; the development of a pilot ferry corridor to facilitate intra-regional travel; and the acquisition of scanners, and other Information Technology (IT) needs for immigration and customs clearance at the ferry terminal.
Saint Lucia is a small island, but one that possesses enough natural beauty for a much larger nation. The island is home to a number of pristine beaches and all-inclusive resorts. Tourism is a major part of the island’s economy, with roughly 350,000 visitors arriving on the island each year. The island is especially popular as a cruise destination and for couples who choose a destination wedding.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Up to 2 Children stay and eat free when staying with 2 full paying adults on the same meal plan
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Receive six complimentary 1 hour passes per booking to the Splash Island Water park and access to all facilities
- Book a Pool View or Beach Front Room and Enjoy a complimentary upgrade From Bed and Breakfast to MAP Board Basis (breakfast, dinner and extras included)
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with a family and adults only section
- Premium All-Inclusive Resort with 8 Restaurants and 7 Bars to choose from
- Save up to a fantastic 60% plus up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE PLUS $1000 worth of resort credit savings
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- March Madness Sale with upto 50% off in all room types
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
Discover Castries lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of up to 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Up to 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Nestled within lush tropical gardens, the Bel Jou Hotel St. Lucia boasts stunning, elevated views over Castries and the...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...