New hotels on the horizon for Mexico in 2018
Tourism and hospitality continue to be a lucrative industry in Mexico. A number of new hotels opened in 2017, and even more are in the works for 2018. Grupo Posadas, the country's largest hotel operator, has several new properties in the works and plans to have 300 properties by 2020. Karisma Hotels & Resorts also has new hotels in development, with a focus on Baja California's wine country.
Hotel groups in Mexico had a busy year in 2017, and several ambitious new projects are in the pipeline for 2018. The country’s largest operator, Grupo Posadas, is a prime example. The company rebranded a dozen high-end resort properties under the La Colección portfolio and broke ground on some notable new properties as part of an ambitious growth program.
Rafael Lizarraga, commercial director for Hotelera Posadas, said:
“The goal of Posadas is to be operating 300 properties by 2020. We have lots of construction underway for the next few years.”
This year, the group will open the 135-room Live Aqua Urban Resort San Miguel de Allende. The property sits next to, and incorporates, an existing hacienda in the Santa María del Obraje area. The grounds include a cultural centre, meeting space, and spa and wellness facilities. It’s within walking distance to the many historic and cultural sites that make the city a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Guillermo Gonzalez, director of the San Miguel de Allende Tourism Board, said:
“Live Aqua is the top brand from Grupo Posadas, and it fits in very well with the ambience of our city. We’re very much looking forward to this new property, and welcoming visitors who may have experienced the Live Aqua concept in other settings.”
Additionally, Grupo Posadas also has plans for a 145-room Grand Fiesta Americana Oaxaca. The property broke ground in July 2017 near the popular El Llano Park. Published reports indicate that construction will take approximately 18 months.
Karisma Hotels & Resorts is also expanding into new territories, namely, Baja California’s increasingly popular wine country. This year brings an all-out push for El Cielo Vineyard, Villas and Spa by Karisma in the Valle de Guadalupe.
“It’s about an hour south from San Diego. We are building 30 two-bedroom villas there. You open the door of the balcony and you’re just in front of the vineyards of El Cielo, which means "heaven".”
Daniel Scheiman, Karisma’s senior business development manager for North America, says. The villas are particularly well-suited for the destination wedding and family group vacation market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Panama Jack Resorts Gran Caribe Cancun is a welcoming resort offering a touch of luxury with amazing service guaranteed
- Enjoy a great time in the Swimming Pools which include an Activity Pool, A Family Pool, Two Splash Pools with Slides and A Hot Tub
- Enjoy genuine authentic Mexican hospitality at the resort sure to make your holiday even more special and one that you will never forget
- Camp Jack is packed with cool activities and adventures like water sports, beach games, arts and crafts, and nightly shows. Mini Golf and Waterpark, complete with a pirate ship and medieval castle, allows the whole family to share some fun in the sun.
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...