New hotels on the horizon for Mexico in 2018
Tourism and hospitality continue to be a lucrative industry in Mexico. A number of new hotels opened in 2017, and even more are in the works for 2018. Grupo Posadas, the country's largest hotel operator, has several new properties in the works and plans to have 300 properties by 2020. Karisma Hotels & Resorts also has new hotels in development, with a focus on Baja California's wine country.
Hotel groups in Mexico had a busy year in 2017, and several ambitious new projects are in the pipeline for 2018. The country’s largest operator, Grupo Posadas, is a prime example. The company rebranded a dozen high-end resort properties under the La Colección portfolio and broke ground on some notable new properties as part of an ambitious growth program.
Rafael Lizarraga, commercial director for Hotelera Posadas, said:
“The goal of Posadas is to be operating 300 properties by 2020. We have lots of construction underway for the next few years.”
This year, the group will open the 135-room Live Aqua Urban Resort San Miguel de Allende. The property sits next to, and incorporates, an existing hacienda in the Santa María del Obraje area. The grounds include a cultural centre, meeting space, and spa and wellness facilities. It’s within walking distance to the many historic and cultural sites that make the city a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Guillermo Gonzalez, director of the San Miguel de Allende Tourism Board, said:
“Live Aqua is the top brand from Grupo Posadas, and it fits in very well with the ambience of our city. We’re very much looking forward to this new property, and welcoming visitors who may have experienced the Live Aqua concept in other settings.”
Additionally, Grupo Posadas also has plans for a 145-room Grand Fiesta Americana Oaxaca. The property broke ground in July 2017 near the popular El Llano Park. Published reports indicate that construction will take approximately 18 months.
Karisma Hotels & Resorts is also expanding into new territories, namely, Baja California’s increasingly popular wine country. This year brings an all-out push for El Cielo Vineyard, Villas and Spa by Karisma in the Valle de Guadalupe.
“It’s about an hour south from San Diego. We are building 30 two-bedroom villas there. You open the door of the balcony and you’re just in front of the vineyards of El Cielo, which means "heaven".”
Daniel Scheiman, Karisma’s senior business development manager for North America, says. The villas are particularly well-suited for the destination wedding and family group vacation market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean Front
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Junior Suite Pool View
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury at Oasis Cancun Lite, surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting. Your...