Classic opera Aida to be performed at Egypt's pyramids
Egypt hopes to draw more travellers this March when classic opera Aida will be performed in an open-air amphitheatre against the backdrop of the iconic Great Sphinx and Giza pyramids in the country’s capital Cairo. Based on a true story translated from ancient Egyptian papyri, the opera was originally written 150 years ago to mark the opening of Cairo’s opera house.
Egypt’s famous Giza pyramids and Great Sphinx are set to become the backdrop for a classic opera this March 2018, as Verdi’s Aida is performed in an open-air amphitheatre overlooking the iconic antiquities in Cairo.
The performances, taking place from 8-10 March in Cairo, will be staged in a 1,500-seater arena with four tiers of seating available. The staging will include a bridge that brings the performers closer to the audience.
The pyramids provide the perfect setting for the classic opera that follows a true story of forbidden love between an Egyptian vassal Radames and the Nubian Princess Aida translated from ancient papyri uncovered in Egypt and rewritten by French Egyptologist Auguste Mariette.
More than 150 years ago, Khedive of Egypt Ismail Pasha commissioned Giuseppe Verdi to write the opera to mark the opening of the Khedivial Opera House, which stood in Cairo until 1971.
The 2018 production will be performed by the Cairo Symphony Orchestra with renowned conductor David Crescenzi at the helm. Lead character Ramadis will be played by Dario Di Vietri and Riccardo Massi, with Dragana Radakovic and Dr. Eman Mostafa playing the part of Aida on alternate nights.
First debuted at the Cairo Opera House, the production has since been hosted around the world, with Aida having been sung more than 1,500 times since its outset. The show has moved to several different sites across Egypt, including the Giza Pyramids in 1987 and 2010 and the Deir Al-Bahari Temple in Luxor in 1994.
Egypt’s tourism industry has been hard hit in recent years, and the country’s tourist board hopes the unique event will help draw more travellers.
Located in the northeast corner of Africa on the Mediterranean Sea and Red Sea, Egypt is placed at a crossroads between Africa, Asia and Europe. With colossal ancient monuments, thousands of years of history, expansive desert landscapes, the world’s longest river and the stunning Red Sea Riviera resorts, it offers a wealth of wonders to discover.
Travel packages and entry tickets for Aida can be booked through various tour operators. To plan your visit, see this site.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
Sail the mighty River Nile, see the world's largest open air museum in Luxor and Discover the Great Pyramids of Giza in Cairo, the treasures of bygone days
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck of the Swiss Inn Radamis II
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Mercure Le Sphinx
- Discover the World's largest open air museum in Luxor whilst staying at the Karnak Temple
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Get to know some of the most amazing sites in Egypt during a luxurious 15-day stay at the Sheraton Cairo Hotel, Towers...