Classic opera Aida to be performed at Egypt's pyramids
Egypt hopes to draw more travellers this March when classic opera Aida will be performed in an open-air amphitheatre against the backdrop of the iconic Great Sphinx and Giza pyramids in the country’s capital Cairo. Based on a true story translated from ancient Egyptian papyri, the opera was originally written 150 years ago to mark the opening of Cairo’s opera house.
Egypt’s famous Giza pyramids and Great Sphinx are set to become the backdrop for a classic opera this March 2018, as Verdi’s Aida is performed in an open-air amphitheatre overlooking the iconic antiquities in Cairo.
The performances, taking place from 8-10 March in Cairo, will be staged in a 1,500-seater arena with four tiers of seating available. The staging will include a bridge that brings the performers closer to the audience.
The pyramids provide the perfect setting for the classic opera that follows a true story of forbidden love between an Egyptian vassal Radames and the Nubian Princess Aida translated from ancient papyri uncovered in Egypt and rewritten by French Egyptologist Auguste Mariette.
More than 150 years ago, Khedive of Egypt Ismail Pasha commissioned Giuseppe Verdi to write the opera to mark the opening of the Khedivial Opera House, which stood in Cairo until 1971.
The 2018 production will be performed by the Cairo Symphony Orchestra with renowned conductor David Crescenzi at the helm. Lead character Ramadis will be played by Dario Di Vietri and Riccardo Massi, with Dragana Radakovic and Dr. Eman Mostafa playing the part of Aida on alternate nights.
First debuted at the Cairo Opera House, the production has since been hosted around the world, with Aida having been sung more than 1,500 times since its outset. The show has moved to several different sites across Egypt, including the Giza Pyramids in 1987 and 2010 and the Deir Al-Bahari Temple in Luxor in 1994.
Egypt’s tourism industry has been hard hit in recent years, and the country’s tourist board hopes the unique event will help draw more travellers.
Located in the northeast corner of Africa on the Mediterranean Sea and Red Sea, Egypt is placed at a crossroads between Africa, Asia and Europe. With colossal ancient monuments, thousands of years of history, expansive desert landscapes, the world’s longest river and the stunning Red Sea Riviera resorts, it offers a wealth of wonders to discover.
Travel packages and entry tickets for Aida can be booked through various tour operators. To plan your visit, see this site.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Stay on the MS Royal VIking before a stay at the luxurious Sonesta St. George Luxor
- Sail the Nile in luxurious style onboard the newest, most magnificent floating hotel on the River Nile
- This cruise and hotel combine perfectly for a fantastic holiday
- Five star splendour on the banks of the Nile at Sonesta St. George Luxor
The most popular choice for divers, snorkellers and water sports enthusiasts, this is a resort that has it all.
- Relax and spoil yourself at the health club with gym, steam room and sauna
- Benefit from the Kids' Club with daily activities, an entertainment centre and their own playground
- Ideal location beside a private beach just 15 minutes from Hurghada airport and 20 kilometres from the centre of Hurghada
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
M/S Royal Viking Itinerary (7 nights) Day One (Monday) Meet & assist al Luxor airport by our local representative....
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...