Lonely Planet picks seven selfie-worthy locations in Havana
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.
From the beauty of its old colonial buildings along the seaside promenade of el Malecon to the vibrant energy of its eclectic streets filled with 50s cars, the Cuban capital is an exceptional setting.
Many visitors are eager to capture in an image the amazing traits they consider make Havana unique during their trip.
In an attempt to provide curious travelers with a guide to the most picture perfect spots, Lonely Planet travel magazine recently published an article on the top seven sites within Havana to take a selfie.
Seven selfie-worthy locations in Havana
Beer and laughter at Plaza Vieja
Loney Planet lists this colonial square within the heart of Old Havana as one of its most Instagrammable spots. The Plaza Vieja brewery is the perfect spot to unwind and enjoy a cool beer or cocktail whilst snapping away pictures of the charming buildings that surround it.
Heavenly beauty at Plaza de la Catedral
Another one of the old town’s iconic squares, Plaza de la Catedral remind visitors of the city’s Hispanic-influenced social life of the 17th and 18th centuries, when senoritas waited patiently for caballeros to take them to the ball. An interesting and amusing shot can be taken next to the statue of flamenco dancer Antonio Gades.
Wooden street at Plaza de Armas
Situated close to the city’s original founding site, Plaza de Armas was home to the Captain General’s residence in colonial times. In order not to have horse carriages passing by disturb his sleep, the street was made of wooden “cobblestones”. Visitors can take a stroll in this unique street and snap a picture of the greenery that lines the park where second-hand booksellers line up.
Flying pigeons and Chopin at Plaza San Francisco de Asis
Close to Havana’s cruise port, Plaza de San Francisco de Asis is also known as the Pigeons’ Square as hundreds of these birds constantly flutter around. The square’s name comes from the Basilica Menor del Convento de San Francisco de Asís, one of the capital’s most prestigious music halls. At one of the corners, travellers can find a bench where one can sit in company of a faded bronze statue of Frederic Chopin.
Splashes of colours and African culture at Callejon de Hamel
Situated in Centro Habana, not too far from the old town, the Callejon de Hamel is a must-stop for those interested in getting to know Cuba’s syncretic santeria religion. Wedged between Espada and Aramburu streets, this alley is painted with bright and colourful street murals and decorated with psychedelic sculptures that refer to santeria deities.
Chacón street to Plazuela del Santo Angel
Tucked away behind the Iglesia del Santo Angel Custodio, Plazuela de Santo Angel connects five street corners in a small atmospheric setting, and is home to a variety of culinary options, including Italian, Cuban and international cuisine. Travellers can pick a modern paladar (private-owned restaurant) and take pictures of delicious local fare.
Romantic seaside Alameda de Paula
Once the preferred seaside promenade for couples, the Alameda de Paula boulevard dates back to the 1800s, before the Malecon seawall existed. In 2015, a floating maritime promenade was added next to it, and it didn’t take long before couples started using padlocks to lock up their love just like on the bridges of Paris. Visitors can find the perfect romantic shot by the sea.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 30th Apr
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 30th Apr
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...