Lonely Planet picks seven selfie-worthy locations in Havana
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.
From the beauty of its old colonial buildings along the seaside promenade of el Malecon to the vibrant energy of its eclectic streets filled with 50s cars, the Cuban capital is an exceptional setting.
Many visitors are eager to capture in an image the amazing traits they consider make Havana unique during their trip.
In an attempt to provide curious travelers with a guide to the most picture perfect spots, Lonely Planet travel magazine recently published an article on the top seven sites within Havana to take a selfie.
Seven selfie-worthy locations in Havana
Beer and laughter at Plaza Vieja
Loney Planet lists this colonial square within the heart of Old Havana as one of its most Instagrammable spots. The Plaza Vieja brewery is the perfect spot to unwind and enjoy a cool beer or cocktail whilst snapping away pictures of the charming buildings that surround it.
Heavenly beauty at Plaza de la Catedral
Another one of the old town’s iconic squares, Plaza de la Catedral remind visitors of the city’s Hispanic-influenced social life of the 17th and 18th centuries, when senoritas waited patiently for caballeros to take them to the ball. An interesting and amusing shot can be taken next to the statue of flamenco dancer Antonio Gades.
Wooden street at Plaza de Armas
Situated close to the city’s original founding site, Plaza de Armas was home to the Captain General’s residence in colonial times. In order not to have horse carriages passing by disturb his sleep, the street was made of wooden “cobblestones”. Visitors can take a stroll in this unique street and snap a picture of the greenery that lines the park where second-hand booksellers line up.
Flying pigeons and Chopin at Plaza San Francisco de Asis
Close to Havana’s cruise port, Plaza de San Francisco de Asis is also known as the Pigeons’ Square as hundreds of these birds constantly flutter around. The square’s name comes from the Basilica Menor del Convento de San Francisco de Asís, one of the capital’s most prestigious music halls. At one of the corners, travellers can find a bench where one can sit in company of a faded bronze statue of Frederic Chopin.
Splashes of colours and African culture at Callejon de Hamel
Situated in Centro Habana, not too far from the old town, the Callejon de Hamel is a must-stop for those interested in getting to know Cuba’s syncretic santeria religion. Wedged between Espada and Aramburu streets, this alley is painted with bright and colourful street murals and decorated with psychedelic sculptures that refer to santeria deities.
Chacón street to Plazuela del Santo Angel
Tucked away behind the Iglesia del Santo Angel Custodio, Plazuela de Santo Angel connects five street corners in a small atmospheric setting, and is home to a variety of culinary options, including Italian, Cuban and international cuisine. Travellers can pick a modern paladar (private-owned restaurant) and take pictures of delicious local fare.
Romantic seaside Alameda de Paula
Once the preferred seaside promenade for couples, the Alameda de Paula boulevard dates back to the 1800s, before the Malecon seawall existed. In 2015, a floating maritime promenade was added next to it, and it didn’t take long before couples started using padlocks to lock up their love just like on the bridges of Paris. Visitors can find the perfect romantic shot by the sea.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...