Maldives reveals plans for airport expansion and new island bridge
The Maldives has unveiled plans for a new bridge between the island housing its international airport and its capital city Male, that will be completed in mid-2018. The archipelago is also expanding its airport and will open a new runway for jumbo jets next year, followed by a new passenger terminal in 2019/20.
The Maldives has announced plans to expand its Velana International Airport to accommodate more planes and passengers, as well as the building of a new "friendship bridge" linking the airport island, Hulhule, to the country’s capital Male. The popular Indian Ocean beach holiday destination will open the new bridge and a new airport runway capable of handling jumbo jets in mid-2018.
The China-Maldives Friendship Bridge project, which was launched in 2015, is the first of its kind in the Maldives. It will be 1.4 kilometres long and 20 metres wide, linking Male’s eastern edge to the western corner of the island of Hulhule, where Velana International Airport is located. It will provide two lanes for four-wheeled vehicles as well as separate lanes for bicycles, motorcycles, and pedestrians.
Construction of the bridge began in 2016 and following its completion in mid-2018, the bridge will help to improve inter-island transport and economic development in the region by providing a reliable land connection for locals and holidaymakers between the capital Male, the airport, and the new youth city Hulhumale.
In time for the bridge opening, the airport will open a new runway. At 3,400 metres long and 60-metres wide, it will be able to accommodate the world’s largest passenger airliner – the Airbus A380 – and will likely increase airlift to the Maldives. Once completed, the existing runway will be used as a taxiway, reducing the turnaround time of aircrafts at the airport.
Work on a new passenger terminal for Velana International Airport is currently underway and is expected to be complete by 2019-20. Formerly known as Ibrahim Nasir International, the airport was rebranded earlier this year.
The Maldives’ Attorney General Mohamed Anil made the announcements at this year’s World Travel Market in London. He said the new developments in the Maldives will support the increasing demand for tourism to the island nation.
The UK continues to be an important inbound market for the Maldives with 68,007 UK tourists visiting the country from January – August 2017. This figure accounts for 7.6% of all tourists visiting the archipelago and is the second highest share across all inbound markets for the first half of 2017.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Kick back and relax with plenty on offer to help you along the way at Reethi Beach Resort.
- Only 15% of the island is built upon, with lush vegetation, natural shorelines and stunning landscapes making up the rest
- The Water Sports Centre has all types of water sport covered whilst the Sports Centre on land covers tennis, badminton, squash, gym and table tennis
- Enjoy two fantastic excursions per person per week to Kam Adhoo and Kihadhoo and a Sunset Dhoni Cruise on selected dates
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....