Jamaica looks set for a record-breaking year in tourism numbers
Jamaica has recorded a significant increase in tourists since the start of the year, according to the Jamaica Tourist Board. The organisation predicts 4.2 million international travellers visiting Jamaica by the end of the year, which will beat last year’s record of 3.84 million visitors. The number of cruise arrivals and tourism industry earnings have also increased this year.
Jamaica looks set to welcome a record-breaking year in visitor numbers after recent figures were released by the Jamaica Tourist Board. The statistics show that arrivals since the beginning of the year have been the highest ever.
The Caribbean island’s tourism professionals are expecting to see the island receive 4.2 million international visitors by the end of 2017. This would surpass last year’s record-breaking 3.84 million visitors to Jamaica.
As well as an increase in tourist numbers, the island is seeing a rise in tourism earnings with $1.46 billion recorded in the first half of 2017, which was a 5.8 per cent growth compared to the same period last year. There has also been a rise in cruise arrivals, and between January and July this year, 1,088,718 international cruise passengers visited Jamaica.
The Hon. Edmund Bartlett, the Minister of Tourism in Jamaica, stated:
“Jamaica is on to a very good path. We are getting more rooms, we are getting more airlifts, we are getting more visitors, and we are earning more.”
The increase in cruise arrivals has been helped by the recently launched Cruise Jamaica initiative, which has been created to promote Jamaica as the Caribbean’s leading cruise destination to passengers, travel agents and the cruise industry. The Jamaica Tourist Board is working with the Port Authority of Jamaica to attract more ships, passengers and cruise lines.
Several ports in Jamaica are under development to help increase cruise ship capacity on the island. These include Kingston Port which will undergo dredging to accommodate larger ships, and Montego Bay which will increase its cruise ship berth capacity, add new cruise terminals, and improve ground transportation options for disembarking cruise passengers. Port Antonio is under development to improve its facilities for smaller cruise lines and luxury yachts, while Ocho Rios Port will have a new Artisan Village showcasing its cultural offerings.
A series of new hotels and resorts are currently under developments in Jamaica, and a further 15,000 guest rooms are expected to be added to the Caribbean island by 2021. The nation boasts accommodation to suit all budgets and requirements, from family run B&Bs and self-catering apartments, to luxury beachfront resorts and chic boutique hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambiance's All Inclusive Resort & Spa is an adult's only resort offering 85 bright and spacious rooms. Each room...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...