Puerto Vallarta looks set to receive another record-breaking year in tourism
Puerto Vallarta’s tourism industry is looking set to welcome a record-breaking year after receiving its highest ever number of tourists in the first six months of 2017. According to the Puerto Vallarta Tourism Board, the resort city in Mexico has recorded a six per cent rise in hotel occupancy during this period, and international passenger arrivals have increased by 12 per cent.
One of Mexico’s popular tourist resorts on the coast is welcoming an increase in visitor number and hotel occupancy levels this year. Puerto Vallarta is looking set to receive record-breaking tourism figures by the end of the year.
In the first six months of 2017, Puerto Vallarta International Airport received 1,843,600 travellers from all over the world. This was a 12 per cent increase compared to the same period last year.
The Puerto Vallarta Tourism Board revealed new figures that show the coastal resort had recorded a six per cent increase in hotel occupancy during the first half of 2017. Occupancy rates in hotels reached nearly 90 per cent between January and June, which was significantly higher than the 73 per cent occupancy levels in 2016 and 70 per cent in 2015.
Cruise passenger numbers are also up in the region, with 189,324 international holidaymakers visiting Puerto Vallarta in the first six months. This is a two per cent increase compared to the same period last year.
In 2016. The city welcomed more than four million international and national visitors, and this year looks set to exceed that record. The increase in arrivals has been helped by campaign efforts that were launched by the tourism board, as well as the development and upgrade of beachfront hotels, restaurants and attractions. The Mexican destination has also become a favourite for LGBT travellers, with LGBT visitors making up 15 to 20 per cent of the region’s total number of visitors.
Puerto Vallarta is situated on the Bahía de Banderas in the Jalisco state in Mexico. Its natural landscapes are a huge draw, and tourists can enjoy turquoise crystal clear waters that are teeming with vibrant marine species and coral reefs.
The majestic Sierra Madre’s emerald-sloped mountains are located to the east of the city, and holidaymakers can go hiking to explore the diverse wildlife such as tropical birds, jaguars, and iguanas. The white-sand beaches are pristine and plentiful, and the azure sea is ideal for fun water activities such as scuba diving, snorkelling, sailing, kayaking, fishing and paddle boarding.
As well as large selection of accommodation options that cater for any budget, the coastal town is home to gourmet restaurants, charming cafes and varied street food vendors. The town comes alive at night thanks to its vibrant bars, night clubs, and beach clubs.
Popular tourist attractions in Puerto Vallarta include the historic Church of Our Lady of the Guadalupe, the seafront vibrant "Malecon", the Botanical Gardens of Vallarta, and the Los Muertos Pier. Visitors can head to River Cuale Island for unique artisan shops, and the bustling "Pueblo Viejo" market is the perfect place to experience authentic Mexican culture and to pick up some jewellery, souvenirs, clothing and delicious, traditional Mexican cuisine.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...