Phase One of Emboodhoo Lagoon project in Maldives launched with official ceremony
The Minister of Tourism in the Maldives, Mr Moosa Zameer, has announced the start of construction of the multi-million-dollar Emboodhoo Lagoon project in the South Male Atoll. Speaking at the launch ceremony of Phase One of the tourism and leisure resort which will span nine islands, Mr Zameer said that it is the biggest project of its kind in the Maldives.
The first phase of a new multi-million-dollar project in the Maldives has begun, which will see the development of a new tourism and leisure complex built over nine islands. The Emboodhoo Lagoon project is the largest of its kind in the nation, and it is located in the South Male Atoll.
An official ceremony took place at the site last week to mark the start of construction on the US$311.5 million Phase One of the Emboodhoo Lagoon project development. The ceremony was attended by the Minister of Tourism in the Maldives, Mr Moosa Zameer, who said that the project will enhance the country’s reputation as a leading tourist destination.
Mr. Chutinant Bhirombhakdi, the Chairman of Singha Estate Public Company Limited, the developers of the resort complex, commented:
"Singha Estate sees a great opportunity in creating the company's biggest and most exciting project to date in the Maldives.
"The overall development which, when fully completed, will ultimately extend across nine islands, has been conceived to meet the leisure-destination desires of the world's large and rapidly-growing medium to upscale leisure segment.”
Phase One will include the construction of facilities including a township, a marina, restaurants, bars, shops, a Cafe del Mar beach club, wedding venues, a Camper and Nicholsons marina with 50 berths, and multiple luxury hotels. The first hotel brand to be revealed is Hard Rock International, which will open a hotel with “Rockstar” suites. The first phase of the project is expected to be completed by the third quarter of 2018.
The developers are working alongside the authorities in the Maldives to establish a local cultural and Indian Ocean marine learning centre. Working alongside the community and a marine biologist, Singha Estate will promote the Maldivian lifestyle, crafts and heritage, whilst introducing marine conservation schemes that will protect and preserve the fragile marine eco-system in the Maldives.
When finished, the development will offer a total of 1,300 hotel rooms in various luxury hotels, including a resort that will offer “highly-exclusive” water villas. The second phase of the project is due to be completed in the next five years.
The Maldives is one of the leading tourist destinations in the Indian Ocean, and it is a hotspot for romantic breaks, honeymoons, and tropical family getaways. The archipelago nation has 26 atolls and around 1,190 coral reef islands that boast pristine white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, and vibrant coral reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...