Abu Dhabi expects 300,000 cruise passengers over the 2017/2018 season
Abu Dhabi is expecting to receive more than 300,000 passengers on cruise ships during the upcoming 2017/ 2018 cruise season. The emirate is expecting 148 port calls from 18 ships across 15 cruise lines throughout this period. The numbers are an eight per cent increase in ship calls compared to the record-breaking 2016/2017 season. Abu Dhabi is looking to attract 450,000 cruise passengers by 2020.
Abu Dhabi looks set to see another record-breaking cruise season over the upcoming 2017/2018 season. The capital of the United Arab Emirates is expecting to receive more than 300,000 passengers this season, which is a double-digit percentage increase in passengers compared to the 2016/2017 cruse season.
After a record-breaking 2016/2017 cruise season in Abu Dhabi, the emirate is looking to see 148 calls from 18 shops across 15 cruise line during the new season. This will be an eight per cent growth compared to the previous cruise season.
The majority of cruises to Abu Dhabi came through MSC Cruises and Celebrity Cruises. Last season, the Abu Dhabi Cruise Terminal received more than 13,000 cruise passengers from Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Constellation ship throughout its six 12-15-night voyages. The Celebrity Constellation vessel will return to Abu Dhabi again this year, and MSC Cruises will bring its 3,900-passenger MSC Splendida ship.
Oxford Economics has recently released a forecasting report that predicts Abu Dhabi will receive more than 450,000 cruise passengers by 2020. This is expected to rise to 808,428 passengers by 2025.
Abu Dhabi’s cruise season runs from October to June every year, and thousands of visitors from all over the world flock to its attractions during day-trips or overnight stays. During a stay in the city, tourists of all ages can enjoy activities, tours and visits to modern and historic attractions and sights. These include Yas Marina Circuit, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina, Yas Waterworld, the Corniche, the Abu Dhabi Mall, Marina Mall, the Emirates National Auto Museum, and the Sheikh Zayed Mosque. The emirate will also open a new SeaWorld theme park on Yas Island in 2022.
As capital of the seven United Arab Emirates in the Middle East, Abu Dhabi has become a leading tourist and business destinations. The emirate is home to a variety of luxury hotels and resorts, exciting attractions, golden sand beaches and soaring sand dunes, world-class golf courses and diverse annual events.
Figures released by the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority revealed that the country received almost two million hotels guests between the months of January and May this year. The numbers were up four per cent compared to the same period in 2016.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Surround yourself with unspoiled beauty at the luxurious Saadiyat Rotana Resort & Villas
- Authentic flavours from around the world with seven modern, stylish and creative dining venues
- All rooms and suites boast elegant interiors, luxury facilities and reflect the warmth of a beachfront home
- Beachside retreat surrounded by natural beauty, architectural splendour, and cultural experiences
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Taka advantage of the golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Unwind and remove all the stresses of modern life with this amazing twin destination offer
- Enjoy a wide range of flavours and exoctic meal with the onsite restaurants
- Loose yourself in the Sheraton Spa and benefit from a plethora of treatments
- Visit the iconic and famous Taj Mahal
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Stay in Downtown Abu Dhabi and be pampered by Arabian hospitality. The Holiday Inn Abu Dhabi offers excellent service...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...