Jamaica surpasses one million visitors in first six months of 2017
The Caribbean island of Jamaica celebrated a milestone recently after it recorded its one millionth visitor since January. It’s the first time, the nation reached this number of visitors in the first six months of a year, and it indicates ongoing positive growth for Jamaica’s tourism numbers and the economy. During this period, the country earned over $1.2 billion in revenue.
The tourism industry in Jamaica has recently recorded another milestone, after celebrating its one millionth visitor since the beginning of this year.
This is the first time the island nation has reached this number over a period of six months.
The increase in tourists indicates the strong growth of Jamaica’s tourism industry and its economy.
The island also earned more than $1.2 billion in revenue during the same six-month period this year.
"This is simply amazing.”
“Never before in our history has this ever happened, and to say we are indeed proud would certainly be putting it mildly.”
Mr Bartlett revealed that Jamaica received 2,165,330 visitors up to the end of June this year, which a 3.9 per cent increase compared to the same period last year. During the first two weeks of July, 2017, there were 104,098 stopover visitors to the island, which was a significant rise of 14.9 per cent compared to the same two weeks in 2016.
The island welcomed more than 3.84 million visitors in total last year, which was a four per cent increase con arrivals compared to 2015. This year, the nation’s tourism industries are confident that they will break that milestone again, and they are expecting record-breaking growth.
The tourism minister added that the recent figures show that there is no need to celebrate seasons on the island anymore because the country is seeing growth all-year-round. This also contributed to the creation of new jobs and earnings for Jamaicans, as well as increased revenue flow in foreign exchange in Jamaica.
Over the last ten years, tourism has significantly grown in the Caribbean, and specifically Jamaica. Since 2017, the island nation’s tourism sector has recorded an increase of 36 per cent. New hotels developments, expanded airport facilities, improved transport infrastructure and global marketing campaigns have all led to the success of Jamaica’s thriving tourism industry.
The tropical island is home to beautiful diverse landscapes, from the turquoise sea and white sandy stretches, to dense emerald rainforests, mountains and cascading waterfalls. There is a wide selection of luxury beachfront hotels and resorts, family-run B&Bs, and self-catering apartments, and attractions range from world-class golf course, to museums, water parks and nature trails.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...