Iconic Gran Hotel Costa Rica due to reopen following careful renovations
The Gran Hotel Costa Rica will reopen to guests before Christmas, according to the hotel's operators the Elite Hotels and Resorts de Costa Rica. The iconic hotel in the capital San Juan has hosted President John F Kennedy, and is currently undergoing a major renovation programme, and it will be run under the Curio by Hilton brand when it reopens at the end of the year.
The Gran Hotel Costa Rica will reopen before the end of the year, following an extensive refurbishment programme.
The hotel in San Jose has been closed since July 2016 as work is carried out to transform the iconic property as it joins the Hilton by Curio collection.
Located between Avenida Central and Avenida Segunda in the capital of Costa Rica, the hotel once hosted the former U.S President, John F Kennedy. Built in the 1920s, and launched in 1930, the hotel has since been declared a “Historical Landmark.”
“As an architectural monument, you have to treat it differently. It will be part of the Hilton chain, with the brand Curio. They are iconic hotels that have great value for cities or countries, which reopen their doors with a first-class boutique concept.”
Explained Ludwing Diaz, the Director of Sales and Marketing at the Hilton Garden Inn.
Working with Hilton Worldwide during the remodelling process of the hotel is William Monge, the director of the Heritage Centre of the Ministry of Culture. Mr Monge said that the façade of the hotel will also have a new look but the renovations will not change the “essence of the property”. An architect visits the hotel on a weekly basis to ensure the work is carried out according to the plans.
Changes to the property include the relocation of the reception area to the fifth floor, and it will also have a piano bar, executive lounge and meeting area. The number of hotel rooms at the Gran Hotel Costa Rica, will reduce from 106 to 79, and there will be a brand new restaurant and shops on the ground floor.
The Heritage Centre has insisted that the “Le Jardin” room on the firth floor remains intact, together with the room where President Kennedy stayed in 1963. The centre also said that the windows must not be altered of the entire hotel, because they were constructed with a special technique that is no longer practiced, and hold huge architectural value.
“As they needed to soundproof the hotel, it was allowed to add a second window, on the inside of the original, to solve the noise problem.”
Added Mr Monge. The Gran Hotel Costa Rica is located close to many museums, parks and national monuments. During their stay at the luxury hotel, guests can visit the nearby Plaza de la Cultura and the Teatro Nacional (National Theatre).
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...