Vietnam waives visas for UK travellers until June 2018
The government of Vietnam has announced that it has extended its visa exemption programme for UK passport holders for another year. The policy, which was first introduced in 2015, applies to British, French, German, Spanish and Italian nationals, and it will allow visitors to take single-entry stays in the South East Asian country for up to 15 days, and will be valid until June 2018.
UK travellers visiting Vietnam for short periods will not require a visa, after the government of Vietnam announced it will be extending its visa exemption programme. The policy is valid for British, French, Spanish German and Italian passport holders.
The scheme is valid for travellers visiting Vietnam for a single-stay of up to 15 days, and will last until June 2018. It has been extended year on year after it was first introduced in 2015, allowing travellers to save time on visa applications when visiting the South East Asian country.
The Vietnam National Administration of Tourism recorded more than five million international visitors to the nation in the first five months of 2017. This was a 26.8 per cent increase compared to the same period last year.
The World Travel & Tourism Council expects Vietnam’s annual tourism revenues to increase by another six per cent between 2017 to 2027, to VND398,329 billion (US$17.9 billion). Tourism is now one of Vietnam’s vital sources of revenue, and there are several new hotel developments under way, adding more rooms to the nation, particularly within the luxury sector.
The Tourism Advisory Secretariat Board in Vietnam has suggested the government adds six more countries to the visa exemption list to encourage more travellers to visit the nation. These include Australia, Canada, Netherlands, New Zealand, Belgium, and Switzerland. The board also recommends that the current 15-day period should be increased to 30 days. At present, travellers from Japan, South Korea, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Brunei, Myanmar, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, and the Philippines can enjoy visa-free travel to Vietnam.
The destination has become popular over recent years, and the government, who once kept Vietnam off-limits to foreign visitors, is now encouraging international tourists to explore the nation which is rich in culture, heritage and beautiful landscapes. Vietnam Airlines is the only airline to offer direct non-stop flights between the UK and Vietnam, and it offers daily flights to Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City.
The seahorse-shaped country in South East Asia was once occupied by the Chinese and French, and it has a rich history. Home to beautiful landscapes including soft sandy beaches, rolling emerald hills, mountains and winding rivers, the nation is hotspot for nature lovers. The country’s attractions include Marble Mountains, Phu Quoc Island, Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi Opera House, Halong Bay, Ho Chi Minh Museum, and the Temple of Literature in Hanoi.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
An in-depth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Experience the best of Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure through Indochina
- Expert local guides in each country
- Breakfast included daily and three dinners
- Spend the night on Halong Bay on a traditional Junk boat with meals included
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. The Essential Vietnam...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches on a tour through the most remarkable...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...