Quintana Roo in Mexico is one step closer to reaching 100,000 hotel rooms
The popular state of Quintana Roo in Mexico is nearing its 100,000th guest room milestone. The tourist destination currently has 97,606 guest rooms in its variety of hotels and resorts, and a further eight hotel projects are currently under development or about to start, bringing new properties to the regions of Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Isla Mujeres, Holbox, Bacalar and Mahahual.
The eastern state of Quintana Roo in Mexico is getting closer to celebrating a new milestone, as it nears its target of 100,000 guest rooms in the region. The popular tourist destination currently has 97,606 rooms in hotels and resorts.
There are eight new hotel projects underway or about to start in Quintana Roo that will bring additional rooms to popular tourist regions. These include Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Isla Mujeres, Holbox, Bacalar and Mahahual.
In Cancun, one of the most popular areas of Mexico, one new hotel development is expected to bring 2,400 guest rooms in its first phase, and another 6,000 rooms during a later second stage. In Isla Mujeres, a further 1,000 rooms are planned to open this year. There are also smaller intimate projects happening in resort towns such as Holbox, which will cater for high end travellers.
The Quintana Roo region is one of the most popular destinations in Mexico, and the majority of tourists originate from the United States and Europe. Hotel occupancy in existing properties is high, and occupancy levels are high and stable throughout the high season, with May’s occupancy rates reaching 83 per cent in Cancun and Puerto Morelos, 90 per cent in the Riviera Maya, and 70 per cent in Isla Mujeres.
The region’s airport traffic is also on the increase, with passenger growth recorded at more than 20 per cent during April this year. Traffic in Chetumal and Cozumel airports is also on the rise.
Quintana Roo province is located on Mexico’s north east coast on the Yucatan Peninsula, and it is a hotspot for travellers, thanks to its magnificent natural landscapes, Caribbean coastline, lush nature reserves, white sandy beaches and ancient Mayan ruins.
In the bustling city of Cancun, tourists can relax on white sand beaches, shop in upscale boutiques, dine in gourmet restaurants or party in vibrant bars and nightclubs in the bustling Hotel Zone. There are a variety of fun activities to take part in including scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking, jet skiing, and zip-lining in jungles.
Holidaymakers can escape the crowds, and head to the Rivera Maya region with its tranquil reserves and lush landscapes. Here, visitors can enjoy hiking or zip lining, while catching sightings of the local wildlife. The area’s ancient Mayan ruins, pyramids, and 2,000-year-old temples are not to be missed. These include Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...