Quintana Roo in Mexico is one step closer to reaching 100,000 hotel rooms
The popular state of Quintana Roo in Mexico is nearing its 100,000th guest room milestone. The tourist destination currently has 97,606 guest rooms in its variety of hotels and resorts, and a further eight hotel projects are currently under development or about to start, bringing new properties to the regions of Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Isla Mujeres, Holbox, Bacalar and Mahahual.
The eastern state of Quintana Roo in Mexico is getting closer to celebrating a new milestone, as it nears its target of 100,000 guest rooms in the region. The popular tourist destination currently has 97,606 rooms in hotels and resorts.
There are eight new hotel projects underway or about to start in Quintana Roo that will bring additional rooms to popular tourist regions. These include Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Isla Mujeres, Holbox, Bacalar and Mahahual.
In Cancun, one of the most popular areas of Mexico, one new hotel development is expected to bring 2,400 guest rooms in its first phase, and another 6,000 rooms during a later second stage. In Isla Mujeres, a further 1,000 rooms are planned to open this year. There are also smaller intimate projects happening in resort towns such as Holbox, which will cater for high end travellers.
The Quintana Roo region is one of the most popular destinations in Mexico, and the majority of tourists originate from the United States and Europe. Hotel occupancy in existing properties is high, and occupancy levels are high and stable throughout the high season, with May’s occupancy rates reaching 83 per cent in Cancun and Puerto Morelos, 90 per cent in the Riviera Maya, and 70 per cent in Isla Mujeres.
The region’s airport traffic is also on the increase, with passenger growth recorded at more than 20 per cent during April this year. Traffic in Chetumal and Cozumel airports is also on the rise.
Quintana Roo province is located on Mexico’s north east coast on the Yucatan Peninsula, and it is a hotspot for travellers, thanks to its magnificent natural landscapes, Caribbean coastline, lush nature reserves, white sandy beaches and ancient Mayan ruins.
In the bustling city of Cancun, tourists can relax on white sand beaches, shop in upscale boutiques, dine in gourmet restaurants or party in vibrant bars and nightclubs in the bustling Hotel Zone. There are a variety of fun activities to take part in including scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking, jet skiing, and zip-lining in jungles.
Holidaymakers can escape the crowds, and head to the Rivera Maya region with its tranquil reserves and lush landscapes. Here, visitors can enjoy hiking or zip lining, while catching sightings of the local wildlife. The area’s ancient Mayan ruins, pyramids, and 2,000-year-old temples are not to be missed. These include Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Krysal Ixtapa has a fantastic location on one of the best beaches in Ixtapa's hotel district. Enjoy a stay at this sunny...