New multi-million-dollar theme park planned for Guanacaste region of Costa Rica
A brand new theme park is planned for Costa Rica, following an announcement from Discovery Communications, the owner of the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet. The $400 million theme park will be located in the coastal province of Guanacaste, and it will have hotels, sports areas, restaurants, and eco-adventure activities spread out over 800 hectares of land.
Costa Rica will be getting a brand new theme park, according to an announcement by the country’s government. The $400 million theme park will be built by Discovery Communications, the owner of the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet, and developed by Costa Rican investment firm Sun Latin America.
The theme park will be located in the north-western coastal province of Guanacaste in Costa Rica, 140 miles north of the capital San Jose. Developed on 800 hectares of land, the construction of the park will start in 2018 and it is expected to be completed by 2020.
As well as rides and attractions, the theme park will also have hotels, sports areas, restaurants, shops and eco-adventure activities for visitors. The project will create around 2,000 jobs during its two-year construction, according to Luis Guillermo Solis, the President of Costa Rica.
Guanacaste is a popular tourist destination in Costa Rica, with miles of pristine beaches that face the Pacific Ocean, and lush dense jungles and national parks that are thriving with wildlife species. The region boasts mountainous terrains, caldera volcanoes, cascading waterfalls, hot springs and mud baths.
Holidaymakers can visit "Rincon de la Vieja" with its volcanic landscapes, "Palo Verde" where visitors can tour on river boats, "Santa Rosa" with its varied hiking trails, "Lomas Barbudal" which has tracks that lead to the river and waterfalls, and "Las Baulas National Marine Park" which is home to sea turtles and colourful marine species.
Once sleepy fishing towns have been transformed into vibrant tourist spots and are now buzzing with hotels, restaurants, bars and shops. Tamarindo is a popular coastal town with a pristine white sand beach and pumping surf, as well as conservation parks including the National Wildlife Refuge of Tamarindo and Marino Las Baulas National Park.
Liberia is Guanacaste's largest town, and home to the Liberia International Airport. Travellers from all over the world use Liberia as a gateway into the Guanacaste region where they can enjoy easy access to the beaches and national parks, but the town itself is becoming an attractive hub for tourists with new hotels and attractions under construction.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the Caribbean side of the country that has a culture of its own with joyful Reggae Music the beat of the region
- Discover the amazing Sloths at the Sloth Sanctuary in a little bit of paradise with various other animals to see along with fauna in the tropical rainforest setting
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours only as per the itinerary
- Enjoy various other excursions on this tour including a Tortuguero Canals Boat Tour, Boat ride over La Estrella River along with much more
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
âââCosta Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife -...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...