Cancun set for another successful tourism year with new hotels, expansions and events
After the success of 2016 and record-breaking visitor number, Cancun is celebrating further growth this year in its tourism industry. Over the next few months, the coastal region in Mexico will open another five hotels with at least 2,300 guest rooms, renovate several existing hotels and resorts, expand its international airport, and host a number of music and food festivals.
Following its success in 2016, Cancun is looking forward to an even more successful year in 2017. Last year, the coastal region in Mexico celebrated record-breaking visitor numbers, with more than five million visitors recorded.
This year, Cancun is looking to record further growth in its tourism industry thanks to a variety of renovations, expansions new hotels and festivals. At least five new hotels are expected to open before the end of the year, bringing another 2,300 guest rooms to the market. Several existing hotels are also undergoing renovation and expansions in the region.
Lizzie Cole Guerrero, the CEO of the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau, stated:
“Closing out a successful year, we are very confident about 2017 and the continued growth of the destination.
“With the rise in flights from the U.S. and Canada, it will be easier than ever for tourists to visit Cancun and take advantage of the new hotels and top-notch activities and events that are scheduled for 2017.”
New hotels that have recently opened or are in the pipeline in Cancun include the Hampton Inn by Hilton Cancun Cumbres, which opened in the spring near Pabellon Cumbres Mall, and has 141 guest rooms. There will also be a new 126-room hotel at Cancun International Airport, and the adults-only Hotel Ushuaia Cancun which is owned by Palladium Hotel Group and will have 600 rooms and suites will open on the site of the former Hotel El Pueblito. Next year, the Riu Costa Mujeres resort is scheduled to open at Playa Mujeres on Isla Mujeres, and Hotel Xcaret will open on the grounds of Xcaret Park by December with 900 rooms.
Many hotels will be refurbishing or upgrading their offerings over the next few months. Oasis Hotels and Resorts recently opened the new Oasis Arena, a 30,000-square-foot of event and entertainment space outdoor decks, and poolside terraces. Palace Resorts unveiled The Grand at Moon Palace Cancun, which was part of a $450-million-dollar investment programme; the adults-only Temptation Resort & Spa Cancun will conclude its multimillion-dollar renovations in August; and Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun launched its new kid’s amenities in April, which included a brand new16,145-square-foot outdoor area of its Kidz Club.
Further expansion plans in Cancun include the addition of a new fourth terminal at Cancun International Airport. The terminal will increase the airport’s capacity, making way for extra flights from international destinations. The Kukulcan Plaza shopping centre will complete its renovation programme this year, providing more fashion and lifestyle outlets for visitors, and Downtown Cancun will feature in a public art project with work from international artists and giant murals covering buildings in the Hotel Zone.
Events taking place in Cancun this year include the Whale Shark Festival on Isla Mujeres from 20th to 23rd July, and the sea turtle egg-laying season between May and November where several hotels offer programmes that are dedicated to protecting the endangered marine species. Music lovers will be in for a treat on 15th July when Ricky Martin takes to the stage to perform at Andres Quintana Roo stadium.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Panama Jack Resorts Gran Caribe Cancun is a welcoming resort offering a touch of luxury with amazing service guaranteed
- Enjoy a great time in the Swimming Pools which include an Activity Pool, A Family Pool, Two Splash Pools with Slides and A Hot Tub
- Enjoy genuine authentic Mexican hospitality at the resort sure to make your holiday even more special and one that you will never forget
- Camp Jack is packed with cool activities and adventures like water sports, beach games, arts and crafts, and nightly shows. Mini Golf and Waterpark, complete with a pirate ship and medieval castle, allows the whole family to share some fun in the sun.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...