Mexico becomes world’s eighth most popular tourist destination in UNWTO report
Mexico has become the eighth most popular tourist destination in the world, according to UNWTO. The country recorded 35 million visitors in 2016, which was a nine per cent increase in international arrivals. Mexico is expected to reach the top five rankings soon after the number of visitors since 2012 has increased by 50 per cent. The most popular locations include Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta.
Mexico has been ranked as the eighth most popular tourist destination in the world, according to a new report by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). The nation received more than 35 million international visitors last year, an increase of nine per cent compared to 2015.
Mexico took the ranking from Turkey, who only recorded 28.3 million tourists last year, following political unrest and security issues. Mexico’s tourism revenue also increased to $19.5 billion in 2016.
Tourism officials in Mexico expect the country to soon be in UNWTO’s top five rankings, because the number of tourists have increased by an impressive 50 per cent since 2012. The country’s government and tourism boards are working hard to add more attractions and activities in Mexico to encourage visitors to stay longer and explore different parts of the country.
There are still some safety concerns in many areas of the nation, but the coastal spots remained the favourite and safest for holidaymakers. The most popular tourist destinations in Mexico included Cancun, Los Cabos, the Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit.
Cancun is a fantastic holiday destination, with white sand beaches, dense jungles, turquoise sea, and a bustling city with vibrant bars, night clubs, restaurants and shops. Tourists can go jet-skiing, snorkelling, kayaking, scuba diving, and explore the area’s wildlife and nature reserves.
The Riviera Maya is home to thriving nature reserves and tropical landscapes and visitors will catch sightings of an array of diverse wildlife species. Tourists can explore the region’s ancient Mayan ruins, pyramids and 2,000-year-old temples including the sites of Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
Los Cabos is located on the Baja California Peninsula in southern Mexico, and boasts powder-soft white sand beaches, azure sea and verdant emerald hills. Holidaymakers can enjoy the area’s championship golf courses, lively bars and clubs, the town of San Jose del Cabo with its art galleries, cafes, restaurants, and shops.
Puerto Vallarta is situated on the Bahia de Banderas in the Jalisco state in Mexico. The area has crystal clear waters full of colourful marine creatures and coral reefs, and to the east stand the magnificent Sierra Madre’s emerald-sloped mountains where tourists can catch sightings tropical birds, jaguars, and iguanas. Some of the most popular attractions in Puerto Vallarta include the historic Church of Our Lady of the Guadalupe, the sea-facing "Malecon", the Botanical Gardens of Vallarta, and the "Pueblo Viejo" market for souvenirs, clothing and traditional Mexican dishes.
Riviera Nayarit is a short drive from Puerto Vallarta, and the region is home to nearly 200 miles of beaches along the Pacific Ocean. To the west, there is dense jungle and majestic mountains, and tourists can explore the turquoise lagoons, winding rivers, and soaring volcanoes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Panama Jack Resorts Gran Caribe Cancun is a welcoming resort offering a touch of luxury with amazing service guaranteed
- Enjoy a great time in the Swimming Pools which include an Activity Pool, A Family Pool, Two Splash Pools with Slides and A Hot Tub
- Enjoy genuine authentic Mexican hospitality at the resort sure to make your holiday even more special and one that you will never forget
- Camp Jack is packed with cool activities and adventures like water sports, beach games, arts and crafts, and nightly shows. Mini Golf and Waterpark, complete with a pirate ship and medieval castle, allows the whole family to share some fun in the sun.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...