Mexico becomes world’s eighth most popular tourist destination in UNWTO report
Mexico has become the eighth most popular tourist destination in the world, according to UNWTO. The country recorded 35 million visitors in 2016, which was a nine per cent increase in international arrivals. Mexico is expected to reach the top five rankings soon after the number of visitors since 2012 has increased by 50 per cent. The most popular locations include Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta.
Mexico has been ranked as the eighth most popular tourist destination in the world, according to a new report by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). The nation received more than 35 million international visitors last year, an increase of nine per cent compared to 2015.
Mexico took the ranking from Turkey, who only recorded 28.3 million tourists last year, following political unrest and security issues. Mexico’s tourism revenue also increased to $19.5 billion in 2016.
Tourism officials in Mexico expect the country to soon be in UNWTO’s top five rankings, because the number of tourists have increased by an impressive 50 per cent since 2012. The country’s government and tourism boards are working hard to add more attractions and activities in Mexico to encourage visitors to stay longer and explore different parts of the country.
There are still some safety concerns in many areas of the nation, but the coastal spots remained the favourite and safest for holidaymakers. The most popular tourist destinations in Mexico included Cancun, Los Cabos, the Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit.
Cancun is a fantastic holiday destination, with white sand beaches, dense jungles, turquoise sea, and a bustling city with vibrant bars, night clubs, restaurants and shops. Tourists can go jet-skiing, snorkelling, kayaking, scuba diving, and explore the area’s wildlife and nature reserves.
The Riviera Maya is home to thriving nature reserves and tropical landscapes and visitors will catch sightings of an array of diverse wildlife species. Tourists can explore the region’s ancient Mayan ruins, pyramids and 2,000-year-old temples including the sites of Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
Los Cabos is located on the Baja California Peninsula in southern Mexico, and boasts powder-soft white sand beaches, azure sea and verdant emerald hills. Holidaymakers can enjoy the area’s championship golf courses, lively bars and clubs, the town of San Jose del Cabo with its art galleries, cafes, restaurants, and shops.
Puerto Vallarta is situated on the Bahia de Banderas in the Jalisco state in Mexico. The area has crystal clear waters full of colourful marine creatures and coral reefs, and to the east stand the magnificent Sierra Madre’s emerald-sloped mountains where tourists can catch sightings tropical birds, jaguars, and iguanas. Some of the most popular attractions in Puerto Vallarta include the historic Church of Our Lady of the Guadalupe, the sea-facing "Malecon", the Botanical Gardens of Vallarta, and the "Pueblo Viejo" market for souvenirs, clothing and traditional Mexican dishes.
Riviera Nayarit is a short drive from Puerto Vallarta, and the region is home to nearly 200 miles of beaches along the Pacific Ocean. To the west, there is dense jungle and majestic mountains, and tourists can explore the turquoise lagoons, winding rivers, and soaring volcanoes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...