Jamaica records increase in British and Irish couples getting married abroad
The number of British and Irish couples getting married abroad in Jamaica in 2016 increased by 40 per cent compared to the year before. According to the Jamaican Tourist Board, the number of visitors from the UK and Ireland reaches more than 210,000 last year, and more than 10,300 couples stopped over on the Caribbean island for weddings or honeymoons.
The Jamaica Tourist Board has revealed that the number of couple from the UK and Ireland getting married abroad significantly increased last year. British marriage figures were up by 40 per cent in 2016, compared to the previous year.
According to the Tourist Board, Jamaica recorded more than 210,000 visitors from the UK and Jamaica between January and December, 2016. Sales for weddings and honeymoons on the island made up 4.9 per cent of the revenues, and more than 10,300 couples visited Jamaica for one night or more for weddings or honeymoons.
Getting married in Jamaica is relatively simple for British and Irish couples, and they can tie the knot just 24 hours after arriving on the island. All marriage documents can be provided in English, and there is a wide selection of all-inclusive resorts that offer regional flight packages from cities including Glasgow, Newcastle and Cardiff. These include beaches, Sandals and Riu hotels.
Jamaica is one of the Caribbean’s favourite destinations for romantic weddings or honeymoons, due to its idyllic natural landscapes and tropical climate. Famous for its laidback lifestyle and warm hospitality, the island can host weddings of all size in variety of picturesque settings.
Couples can exchange vows on white sandy beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees, or say “I Do” on the clifftop against the backdrop of the turquoise ocean. The island’s luxury hotels and resorts can cater for wedding parties of all sizes, and many offer all-inclusive wedding packages and onsite wedding planners who can arrange every detail of the special day.
Some of Jamaica’s popular wedding destinations include Negril which is home to the renowned Seven Mile Beach; Ocho Rios with its waterfalls and gorges; and Montego bay with its range of beautiful pristine beaches and vibrant town. Couples can get married on the island and go on to stay longer for their honeymoon to make the most out of the special occasion and tropical setting.
Over recent years, more and more couples from the UK have chosen weddings abroad over nuptials at home. Some of the reasons for this include rising costs of weddings in the UK, limited guest lists, and tropical destinations where they weather is more likely to be sunny and warm.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambiance's All Inclusive Resort & Spa is an adult's only resort offering 85 bright and spacious rooms. Each room...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...