New connecting flights make diving into Aqaba easier than ever
The Jordanian resort town of Aqaba beside the Red Sea is now more accessible to travellers than ever as airline Royal Jordanian have added prompt same-day connecting flights from the country’s capital Amman down to Aqaba that includes free carriage of scuba diving gear.
The Red Sea resort town of Aqaba in southern Jordan is now more accessible than ever. Jordan’s national air carrier Royal Jordanian is flying a same-day connecting service down to Aqaba from the capital Amman on a Friday night to coincide with arrivals from London Heathrow. Travellers will have just an hour’s wait in Amman before boarding a 45-minute flight down to Aqaba.
The new route is available until 30 June and will recommence service from 15 September to 31 December 2017.
The airline has also announced it will carry passengers’ scuba diving gear for free in an effort to encourage more divers to enjoy the underwater riches of the Red Sea. Aqaba is known for its sub-tropical reefs and underwater gardens teeming with marine life including sea turtles and octopi.
To enrich the Red Sea’s marine life, military vehicles have been deliberately sunken in Aqaba’s offshore waters to create artificial reefs and foster new underwater habitats. Local PADI-accredited dive centres provide scuba courses to visitors of all experience levels from try-dives for beginners to wreck diving for more experienced sub-aquatic explorers.
Royal Jordanian is working with UK travel agents and the Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority (ASEZA) to promote diving holidays in the region.
But the resort has more to offer travellers than diving and beaches, and is in fairly close proximity to some of Jordan’s most popular attractions. The awe-inspiring desert landscapes and strange rock formations of Wadi Rum and the astonishing rock-cut structures of ancient Petra can be reached by road within a one-to-two hour drive of Aqaba. The famously rejuvenating Dead Sea is also a three-hour journey away.
Aqaba has recently added a golf club to its leisure offering too. The eco-friendly Ayla Golf Club is an 18-hole championship course covering 120 hectares of natural terrain including desert and waterfront. It offers a par-72 championship course, a nine-hole par-three practice course, club house and more.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jordan Browse all
Discover the charm and wonder of Aqaba with this amazing special offer
- Enjoy the unique beauty and colors of the Red Sea through excursions to nearby scuba diving and snorkelling locations
- Unwind at the adult lap pool or stay fit in the gym.
- Enjoy kiddie pool or the resort's "DANA" Children activities centre to ensure a high spirited stay for all
A great array of facilities awaits you, such as the eight restaurants and the colourful coral reefs.
- Located on the Red Sea, the hotel houses the Zara Spa, specialising in a wide variety of treatments and therapies
- Take advantage of the large swimming pool and unwind right beside it at the Sejan Poolside Restaurant
- Visit Aqaba Castle and Aqaba Archaeological Museum for a historical perspective of Jordan, or take a trip to the Dream Mall
Discover historical beauty like never before in Jordan
- The Al Ghadeer Roof Garden provides guests with idyllic views and live music
- Guests may also enjoy the Wellness Centre with outdoor pool, steam bath and fully equipped gym
- The resort offers many recreational opportunities for adults and children alike
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a full day visit of the "Rose Red City" of Petra - a treasure of the ancient world
- Drive along the spectacular 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Spend a day by the Dead Sea, at over 400m below sea level the Dead Sea is a wonderful must-see sight
This unforgettable 7 night tour is the perfect way to discover the Arab Kingdom of Jordan. Set on the East Bank of the...
In a wonderfully quiet and serene location with a traditional village setting facing the stunning azure waters of the...
Aqaba is Jordan's only coastal city, and is the largest city on the Gulf of Aqaba. The warm water and rich marine life...
The centric and charming Le Meridien Amman is a superb hotel, wonderfully located in the middle of all the action, right...
With a blend of contemporary design, warm hospitality and boutique-style amenities, the 4* Winter Valley Warwick Resort...
This unforgettable 3 night tour is the perfect way to discover the essential sites of the Arab Kingdom of Jordan. Set on...