Cancun to host 11th annual Sacred Mayan Journey in May
Cancun in Mexico will be honouring the ancient annual pilgrimage of the Maya this month with the 11th Sacred Mayan Journey. The journey re-enacts ancient traditions including several hand carved canoes being rowed by Mayan people from Xcaret (formerly Pole) to Cozumel and back. The day before the journey, there will be a marketplace with demonstrations, performances, food and locals wearing traditional Mayan attire.
One of Mexico’s most sacred pilgrimages will be taking place this month, with the launch of the 11th Sacred Mayan Journey. The event will take place in Cancun, and it will re-enact the ancient annual pilgrimage of the Maya to worship the moon goddess Ixchel.
Taking place on 26th and 27th May, 2017, the journey will celebrate the Mayan traditions, history and heritage. The modern version of the journey includes hand carved canoes being rowed by Mayan people between Xcaret (ancient name Pole) to Cozumel and back again. Once the pilgrims arrive at Chankannab Park in Cozumel, the islanders will welcome the oarsmen with ceremonial dances and music. In the evening, participants will visit the sanctuary and present fruit, corn and copal to Ixchel. When the sun rises the next morning, the oarsmen will then meet on the shores of Cozumel to cross the Caribbean Sea back to Xcaret.
The night before the pilgrimage, the traditional marketplace, Kii´wik, will take place in Xcaret, a seaside location that was the centre of ceremonies and trade. At the marketplace, visitors can see locals dress in traditional Mayan clothes with the faces painted in bright colours. There are live performances, demonstrations, and stalls where visitors can buy gifts and food. Rather than exchanging money, coffee beans are used as currency.
To celebrate the annual pilgrimage, two hotels in Cancun will be offering special programmes for holidaymakers. The Occidental hotel will offer Mayan botanical tours, Yucatan food tastings and a Mayan night show on the beach from 26th to 29th May, while the Allegro Cozumel will offer guests a Mayan treasure hunt rally, Mayan dance lessons, story-telling and a fire show.
“The Sacred Mayan Journey is a multi-day celebration of an ancient tradition that is at the core of our authentic guest experience. During the festival, guests can take part in the arrival and departure of the hand-carved canoes that are rowed by Mayan people.”
Explained Sandra Garcia, the Activities Manager at Occidental Cozumel.
The Caribbean Sea plays a vital role in the ancient pilgrimage, and like the region’s cenotes, it was seen as the entryway to the underworld by Mayans. During a visit to the local region, holidaymakers can visit other traditional Mayan sites including the ancient ruins of temples and cities. These include El Rey, Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, with its El Castillo pyramid, which is one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...