Cancun to host 11th annual Sacred Mayan Journey in May
Cancun in Mexico will be honouring the ancient annual pilgrimage of the Maya this month with the 11th Sacred Mayan Journey. The journey re-enacts ancient traditions including several hand carved canoes being rowed by Mayan people from Xcaret (formerly Pole) to Cozumel and back. The day before the journey, there will be a marketplace with demonstrations, performances, food and locals wearing traditional Mayan attire.
One of Mexico’s most sacred pilgrimages will be taking place this month, with the launch of the 11th Sacred Mayan Journey. The event will take place in Cancun, and it will re-enact the ancient annual pilgrimage of the Maya to worship the moon goddess Ixchel.
Taking place on 26th and 27th May, 2017, the journey will celebrate the Mayan traditions, history and heritage. The modern version of the journey includes hand carved canoes being rowed by Mayan people between Xcaret (ancient name Pole) to Cozumel and back again. Once the pilgrims arrive at Chankannab Park in Cozumel, the islanders will welcome the oarsmen with ceremonial dances and music. In the evening, participants will visit the sanctuary and present fruit, corn and copal to Ixchel. When the sun rises the next morning, the oarsmen will then meet on the shores of Cozumel to cross the Caribbean Sea back to Xcaret.
The night before the pilgrimage, the traditional marketplace, Kii´wik, will take place in Xcaret, a seaside location that was the centre of ceremonies and trade. At the marketplace, visitors can see locals dress in traditional Mayan clothes with the faces painted in bright colours. There are live performances, demonstrations, and stalls where visitors can buy gifts and food. Rather than exchanging money, coffee beans are used as currency.
To celebrate the annual pilgrimage, two hotels in Cancun will be offering special programmes for holidaymakers. The Occidental hotel will offer Mayan botanical tours, Yucatan food tastings and a Mayan night show on the beach from 26th to 29th May, while the Allegro Cozumel will offer guests a Mayan treasure hunt rally, Mayan dance lessons, story-telling and a fire show.
“The Sacred Mayan Journey is a multi-day celebration of an ancient tradition that is at the core of our authentic guest experience. During the festival, guests can take part in the arrival and departure of the hand-carved canoes that are rowed by Mayan people.”
Explained Sandra Garcia, the Activities Manager at Occidental Cozumel.
The Caribbean Sea plays a vital role in the ancient pilgrimage, and like the region’s cenotes, it was seen as the entryway to the underworld by Mayans. During a visit to the local region, holidaymakers can visit other traditional Mayan sites including the ancient ruins of temples and cities. These include El Rey, Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, with its El Castillo pyramid, which is one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...