One of our Cuba articles wins the LATA media travel award for best blog post!
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.
The Holiday Place is thrilled to announce that one of our published blog posts, written by one of our expert travellers, has been bestowed the prestigious title of “Online Blog Feature of the Year” at the Latin America Travel Association (LATA) Media Travel Awards, held last night in London and attended by our web team.
The author of the award-winning blog is one of our go-to travel writers and Cuba experts, Claire Boobbyer, who couldn’t make it to the awards ceremony last night, as she is currently travelling around Bolivia, but left our man, Ivan Garcia in charge of collecting the prize on her behalf and that of The Holiday Place.
The blog in question is The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba, a very picturesque and quirky (also incredibly bizarre) celebration that takes place in a small town on the outskirts of Havana. It tells the story of Pachencho, a fictional character who was played by the same local for the first 26 years of this peculiar street party, until his death in 2010, and then continued by a new Pachencho, who has been the star of the show for the last seven years.
Amidst the passing of rum bottles, upbeat conga music and an overall chaotic and strangely amusing fictional mourning, locals celebrate the life (and the death, depending on who you ask) of Pachencho. His mourning wife wails for her loss while others shout “good riddance” and it all culminates as Pachencho’s coffin is lowered down to the ground in the town’s cemetery. It’s at this point when a townsman pours a sprinkling of rum over the corpse’s face and upon the liquid touching his lips, the dead comes back to life. Resurrection by rum!
This bizarre re-enactment of death and revival adds to the odd appeal of one of Havana’s lesser known celebrations and our writer, Claire, was there to take it all in and vividly recreate the experience through her words. No wonder, this candid depiction of Pachencho’s burial has won her a prize!
Claire Boobbyer is a travel writer, editor and photographer as well as a self-confessed Cubaphile and Cuba expert. She has written about Cuba for several publications, including The Guardian, Telegraph Travel and Millennia Magazine to name a few. She continues on her quest of discovering more of Latin America, but always keeps returning to Cuba, an island she fell in love with since her first visit in 1998.
We, at The Holiday Place, always strive to publish fresh and insightful travel-related content for our readers and are incredibly proud of our collaborative team of travel writers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...