Carbon Footprint Certification awarded to nine Jetwing Hotels in Sri Lanka
Nine Jetwing hotels in Sri Lanka have been awarded the prestigious Carbon Footprint Certification from the Sri Lanka Climate Fund. Jetwing Blue, Jetwing St. Andrew's, Jetwing Ayurveda Pavilions, Jetwing Lighthouse, Jetwing Beach, Jetwing Sea, Jetwing Lagoon, Jetwing Yala and Jetwing Vil Uyana were each recognised for their sustainable practices and energy-saving efforts.
As more hotels and accommodation providers around the world seek ways to become more eco-efficient and sustainable, one hotel group in Sri Lanka is leading the way in the green market. Jetwing Hotels is renowned for its green ethos and sustainable practices and recently, nine of its hotels were awarded a prestigious accolade.
The Carbon Footprint Certification was awarded to Jetwing Blue, Jetwing St. Andrew’s, Jetwing Ayurveda Pavilions, Jetwing Lighthouse, Jetwing Beach, Jetwing Sea, Jetwing Lagoon, Jetwing Yala and Jetwing Vil Uyana in Sri Lanka. Certified by the Sri Lanka Climate Fund (SLCF), the hotels were inspected as part of a greenhouse gases (GHG) inventory, and they were the first to be certified under the ISO 14064 (International Standards for environmental management) standard in Sri Lanka.
Jetwing Hotels has reduced its consumption of grid electricity by promoting non-fossil fuel based and renewable energy through the use of fuel wood, solar electricity (PV), solar thermal and biogas systems. Now, more than 50 per cent of the energy requirement at Jetwing Hotels’ properties is provided by renewable energy sources.
“With the certificates we have received we have achieved quite a milestone indeed. Nine of our 19 resorts are now certified, and it is a great honour to have our efforts recognised and verified according to international standards.
“Our engineering and hotel teams constantly work hard to live up to our reputation for being a company that utilises green technology, and we thank them for their efforts as we can only go further from here.”
Hiran Cooray, the Chairman of Jetwing Hotels, commented.
Jetwing Hotels is a family-run hotel group in Sri Lanka that has been operating for 44 years. Hiran, the son of the company’s founder, Herbert Cooray, persuaded his father to set up a sewerage treatment plant a few years ago, and since then he has recruited engineers and naturalists to help bring in sustainable practices to all of the group’s luxury hotels.
Solar heaters have been introduced to heat water throughout the properties and save on electricity bills and usage, and boilers which are fuelled by biomass using cinnamon wood have been installed. Many of the group’s newest hotels are completely solar-powered, and several sell surplus electricity back to the grid, with diesel generators relegated to a backup role.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Soak up the sunshine that pours down on Sri Lanka's Indian Ocean coastline at Tangerine Beach. Make the scenic resort...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...