St Lucia to expand facilities to accommodate new mega cruise ships
The island of St Lucia is preparing to welcome mega cruise ships later this year by expanding its cruise facilities. The Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine will be extended to facilitate the vessels in December in a project that is estimated to cost US$15 million. Once completed, there is expected to be a 20 per cent increase in the call of cruise vessels to Port Castries.
St Lucia is expanding its cruise facilities to accommodate large mega cruise ships later this year. The Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine is being extended to dock the larger vessels in a project that will cost US$15 million.
The Minister for Ports in St Lucia, Stephenson King, said that the islands needs to enhance its cruise facilities and infrastructure on the island in order to welcome more cruise passengers who are sailing around the Caribbean. He added that the government is hoping that the expansion project will put the island as the top cruise destination in the Caribbean.
This project was explained by Minister King when he commented:
“This Government has made a firm commitment not only to improve Port Castries and to consider a new location for the establishment of a new commercial port but also to continue to improve on the cruise ship facilities and by extension to look to the south of the country to establish a major cruise port in the south in Vieux Fort that will compliment a number of the economic initiatives that the Government has committed itself to.”
The completion of the project at Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine is expected to increase the number of ships calling at Port Castries by 20 per cent. The number of cruise passengers is expected to increase by 19 per cent.
Castries is the capital of St Lucia, and a popular destination for international holidaymakers. Attractions in the city include the bustling Castries Market, where tourists can pick up a handcrafted souvenir, the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Vigie Beach with its white sand and palm trees, Morne Fortune Hill which offers views of the city, the scenic Marigot Bay, and Pigeon Island that spans 44 acres of land that is home to an abundance of wildlife.
St Lucia is a 238-square-mile island that is home to magnificent natural wonders including the soaring twin emerald-sloped Pitons, and an array of sugar white sandy beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees, such as the popular Anse Chastanet. Tourists flock to the Caribbean island to see the beautiful cascading Diamond Falls, one of the world’s only drive-thru volcanoes, and Pigeon Island National Park, which is home to the old British military base, Fort Rodney.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Up to 2 Children stay and eat free when staying with 2 full paying adults on the same meal plan
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Receive six complimentary 1 hour passes per booking to the Splash Island Water park and access to all facilities
- Book a Pool View or Beach Front Room and Enjoy a complimentary upgrade From Bed and Breakfast to MAP Board Basis (breakfast, dinner and extras included)
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- New Sale with incredible savings of upto 30% in all room types plus an exclusive upgrade to the next room
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Check into a pretty boutique hotel and experience St Lucia's best beaches, restaurants and nightlife - you can even try your luck at Treasure Bay Casino!
- Exclusive! Book and save £500 per person!
- Perfectly placed at the heart of lively Rodney Bay Village
- Go for a de-stressing or beautifying treatment at the hotel's spa
- Enjoy a spicy island vibe at the hotel's Koko Cabana Bistro & Bar, offering regular live entertainment, barbecues & much more
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...