St Lucia to expand facilities to accommodate new mega cruise ships
The island of St Lucia is preparing to welcome mega cruise ships later this year by expanding its cruise facilities. The Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine will be extended to facilitate the vessels in December in a project that is estimated to cost US$15 million. Once completed, there is expected to be a 20 per cent increase in the call of cruise vessels to Port Castries.
St Lucia is expanding its cruise facilities to accommodate large mega cruise ships later this year. The Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine is being extended to dock the larger vessels in a project that will cost US$15 million.
The Minister for Ports in St Lucia, Stephenson King, said that the islands needs to enhance its cruise facilities and infrastructure on the island in order to welcome more cruise passengers who are sailing around the Caribbean. He added that the government is hoping that the expansion project will put the island as the top cruise destination in the Caribbean.
This project was explained by Minister King when he commented:
“This Government has made a firm commitment not only to improve Port Castries and to consider a new location for the establishment of a new commercial port but also to continue to improve on the cruise ship facilities and by extension to look to the south of the country to establish a major cruise port in the south in Vieux Fort that will compliment a number of the economic initiatives that the Government has committed itself to.”
The completion of the project at Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine is expected to increase the number of ships calling at Port Castries by 20 per cent. The number of cruise passengers is expected to increase by 19 per cent.
Castries is the capital of St Lucia, and a popular destination for international holidaymakers. Attractions in the city include the bustling Castries Market, where tourists can pick up a handcrafted souvenir, the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Vigie Beach with its white sand and palm trees, Morne Fortune Hill which offers views of the city, the scenic Marigot Bay, and Pigeon Island that spans 44 acres of land that is home to an abundance of wildlife.
St Lucia is a 238-square-mile island that is home to magnificent natural wonders including the soaring twin emerald-sloped Pitons, and an array of sugar white sandy beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees, such as the popular Anse Chastanet. Tourists flock to the Caribbean island to see the beautiful cascading Diamond Falls, one of the world’s only drive-thru volcanoes, and Pigeon Island National Park, which is home to the old British military base, Fort Rodney.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- New Sale with incredible savings of upto 30% in all room types
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Two Kids (4-12 years) stay and eat free
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Six complimentary 1 hour passes per booking to the Splash Island Water park and access to all facilities
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its breathtaking views and its golden sand
Experience a fabulous family comfort at Bay Gardens Inn
- Discounted Special offer on All Inclusive which includes six complimentary passes to Splash Island Water Park and access to the dine around program
- Thursday Night is Cocktail time, with the Manager's cocktail pary with complimentary rum punch. The hotel offers more weekly entertainment for you to enjoy
- All Guests gain complimentary access to Bay Gardens Beach Resort's Splash Island Water Park and Water sports!
- Enjoy a taste of the Caribbean at Creole Pot restaurant, with island favourites prepared each morning
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Summer Sale now extended with discounted savings for stays unitl 2019
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
- Book one of the honeymoon and wedding packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...