St Lucia to expand facilities to accommodate new mega cruise ships
The island of St Lucia is preparing to welcome mega cruise ships later this year by expanding its cruise facilities. The Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine will be extended to facilitate the vessels in December in a project that is estimated to cost US$15 million. Once completed, there is expected to be a 20 per cent increase in the call of cruise vessels to Port Castries.
St Lucia is expanding its cruise facilities to accommodate large mega cruise ships later this year. The Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine is being extended to dock the larger vessels in a project that will cost US$15 million.
The Minister for Ports in St Lucia, Stephenson King, said that the islands needs to enhance its cruise facilities and infrastructure on the island in order to welcome more cruise passengers who are sailing around the Caribbean. He added that the government is hoping that the expansion project will put the island as the top cruise destination in the Caribbean.
This project was explained by Minister King when he commented:
“This Government has made a firm commitment not only to improve Port Castries and to consider a new location for the establishment of a new commercial port but also to continue to improve on the cruise ship facilities and by extension to look to the south of the country to establish a major cruise port in the south in Vieux Fort that will compliment a number of the economic initiatives that the Government has committed itself to.”
The completion of the project at Breasting Dolphin Berth at Pointe Seraphine is expected to increase the number of ships calling at Port Castries by 20 per cent. The number of cruise passengers is expected to increase by 19 per cent.
Castries is the capital of St Lucia, and a popular destination for international holidaymakers. Attractions in the city include the bustling Castries Market, where tourists can pick up a handcrafted souvenir, the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Vigie Beach with its white sand and palm trees, Morne Fortune Hill which offers views of the city, the scenic Marigot Bay, and Pigeon Island that spans 44 acres of land that is home to an abundance of wildlife.
St Lucia is a 238-square-mile island that is home to magnificent natural wonders including the soaring twin emerald-sloped Pitons, and an array of sugar white sandy beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees, such as the popular Anse Chastanet. Tourists flock to the Caribbean island to see the beautiful cascading Diamond Falls, one of the world’s only drive-thru volcanoes, and Pigeon Island National Park, which is home to the old British military base, Fort Rodney.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Book now and receive a FREE upgrade
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...