Hotel room capacity in Jamaica set to increase by 1,000 by the end of 2017
The number of hotel rooms in Jamaica is set to increase by more than 1,000 by the end of 2017, according to the Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett. The investment in the new rooms is said to exceed US$1 billion, and they include 150 rooms at the Azul Beach Resort in Negril, 600 rooms at the Hideaway at Royalton and Royalton Negril Resort, and 12 rooms at the Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay.
The Tourism Minister of Jamaica has announced that the island will get more than 1,000 new hotel rooms by the end of 2017. The investment of the rooms is expected to exceed US$1 billion.
The hotels include the recently opened Hideaway at Royalton and Royalton Negril Resort and Spa with a total of 600 rooms and suites. The Azul Beach Resort in Negril with 150 rooms, and 12 new “Over the Water Villas” at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay. The Spanish Court II in Montego Bay will bring another 124 rooms; Breathless Resort and Spa in Montego Bay will have 150 rooms; and the R Hotel in Kingston, will added 58 rooms to the hotel market in Jamaica in the next few months.
As well as more rooms being added to the market, many hotels on the Caribbean island are under construction or renovation over the next year. These include the Wyndham and Oceana hotels in Kingston, Dragon Bay Hotel in Port Antonio, and Oyster Bay in Trelawney.
Mr Bartlett added that as well as new hotels and an increase in rooms, more investment is being ploughed into new attractions on the island to boost tourism. Projects include the redevelopment of the fisherman’s beach in Ocho Rios in St Ann by the Port Authority of Jamaica, and the US$7.2 million upgrade project to the popular Appleton Rum facility.
The country’s government is looking to target 5.5 million tourists a year, and US$5 billion in annual tourism earnings by 2021. There are plans to diversify Jamaica’s tourism offerings, and bring lesser-known areas to the forefront.
Mr Bartlett, stated:
“We are trying to bring the wealth of tourism into the communities that are in rural areas like the Blue Mountains and our cities, starting with Kingston.”
“The concept is a low-density, soft tourism, which drives a different type of demographic. It will bring a mixture of nature and creativity with additional efforts on our part to include some hard infrastructure to enable access.”
While many travellers visit Jamaica via flights, the cruise industry on the island is growing and the number of passengers is expected to reach two million by the end of 2017. The country’s cruise sector has been steadily growing over the last decade.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...