Eco-friendly North Island in Seychelles receives prestigious award
The North Island in the Seychelles has received a National Geographic World Legacy Award for preserving and restoring natural habitat. The lavish eco-resort won the "Conserving the Natural World" category, following several successful projects that include the reintroduction of native species into the island's eco system, such as the endangered Seychelles White-Eye.
The secluded North Island resort in the Seychelles has been given a prestigious award in the National Geographic World Legacy Awards. The luxury eco-resort won the "Conserving the Natural World" category in the awards that partners with IBT Berlin, a leading travel and trade exhibition.
The island retreat has led a number of successful projects that have seen the protection of rare and endangered species. This includes the Noah’s Ark project which reintroduced native species into the island’s ecosystem, such as the Seychelles Sunbird and the endangered Seychelles White-Eye.
Bruce Simpson, the Managing Director of North Island, stated:
“We are thrilled to have received this significant endorsement from both National Geographic and ITB – it certainly inspires us to continue offering high-end ecotourism that is both authentic and sustainable at the same time.”
Simpson added that despite the success of their conservation projects on North Island:
“There remains a great deal of work to be done and we remain deeply committed to driving our Noah’s Ark Island Rehabilitation Programme forward.”
North Island is a luxury eco-resort that is located 30km off the main island of Mahe in the Seychelles. The retreat is so private that it is only accessible by helicopter, and it has just 11 luxury villas that span 5,000 square feet and boast private plunge pools. Each of the villas was constructed using natural materials that were sourced from the surrounding area, such as recovered wood and stone.
The resort has a strong environmental programme which aims to protect the local flora and fauna, as well as wildlife species such as Seychelles blue pigeons, and Hawksbill and green turtles. Facilities at the resort include a spa, a fitness centre, a swimming pool, an activity centre, a boutique, a library, a helipad, the Island Piazza with dining area, and the West Beach Bar.
The property was named in CNN’s list of the world’s most beautiful island hotels recently, and over the last few years, the eco-sanctuary has attracted a number of famous faces. These include Hollywood stars such as George Clooney and his wife Amal Alamuddin, who recently enjoyed a private honeymoon on the island, and Royal family members Prince William and Kate Middleton who also choose the resort for their honeymoon in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Swim around some of the most amazing under water sites in the world at the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and Spa
- Discover incredible flora and fauna including giant tortoise and incense trees
- Choose from a range of casual to gourmet dining options, or opt for an in-villa or under the stars experience
- Indulge in a spa treatment in a magical setting
Treat yourself to a luxury break in the Seychelles combined with an exciting stay in Dubai
- Take advantage of the close proximity to all the local attractions in Dubai
- Discover a wide range of exquisite dining options in the Seychelles
- Practice yoga in the natural surroundings of Silhouette Island
Set in the breath-taking lagoon area of Mahe, this is certainly a resort that offers elegance as well as an exquisite setting.
- Dining options to suit all tastes from gourmet experiences to casual fare
- Indulge in spa treatments including Elemental Herbology for ultimate skin conditioning
- Swim in the Olympic-length swimming pool, try your luck at the casino and children will love the kids club
Mother nature bestowed unique beauty on the Seychelles, islands of exquisite white sand beaches, lapped by the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean
- Top up your tan, refresh in the pool or go with the flow in a yoga class. Enjoy traditional island cooking, dance, craft and language classes, or action packed days of culture and nature trips.
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- free upgrade from Bed & Breakfast to Half Board
- Experience great culinary variety in six different restaurants including a shisha bar
Prepare yourself for a memorable 8-day holiday with your family at the avani seychelles , where you will be able to...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
The unique all-villa Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa is located on the tropical island of Silhouette, where...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....
Situated on the northern coast of Mahe, Villa Koket is ideal for those looking for a peaceful self-catering getaway near...