Eco-friendly North Island in Seychelles receives prestigious award
The North Island in the Seychelles has received a National Geographic World Legacy Award for preserving and restoring natural habitat. The lavish eco-resort won the "Conserving the Natural World" category, following several successful projects that include the reintroduction of native species into the island's eco system, such as the endangered Seychelles White-Eye.
The secluded North Island resort in the Seychelles has been given a prestigious award in the National Geographic World Legacy Awards. The luxury eco-resort won the "Conserving the Natural World" category in the awards that partners with IBT Berlin, a leading travel and trade exhibition.
The island retreat has led a number of successful projects that have seen the protection of rare and endangered species. This includes the Noah’s Ark project which reintroduced native species into the island’s ecosystem, such as the Seychelles Sunbird and the endangered Seychelles White-Eye.
Bruce Simpson, the Managing Director of North Island, stated:
“We are thrilled to have received this significant endorsement from both National Geographic and ITB – it certainly inspires us to continue offering high-end ecotourism that is both authentic and sustainable at the same time.”
Simpson added that despite the success of their conservation projects on North Island:
“There remains a great deal of work to be done and we remain deeply committed to driving our Noah’s Ark Island Rehabilitation Programme forward.”
North Island is a luxury eco-resort that is located 30km off the main island of Mahe in the Seychelles. The retreat is so private that it is only accessible by helicopter, and it has just 11 luxury villas that span 5,000 square feet and boast private plunge pools. Each of the villas was constructed using natural materials that were sourced from the surrounding area, such as recovered wood and stone.
The resort has a strong environmental programme which aims to protect the local flora and fauna, as well as wildlife species such as Seychelles blue pigeons, and Hawksbill and green turtles. Facilities at the resort include a spa, a fitness centre, a swimming pool, an activity centre, a boutique, a library, a helipad, the Island Piazza with dining area, and the West Beach Bar.
The property was named in CNN’s list of the world’s most beautiful island hotels recently, and over the last few years, the eco-sanctuary has attracted a number of famous faces. These include Hollywood stars such as George Clooney and his wife Amal Alamuddin, who recently enjoyed a private honeymoon on the island, and Royal family members Prince William and Kate Middleton who also choose the resort for their honeymoon in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Soak up the stunning landscapes, friendly atmosphere, fascinating architecture and leisurely pace of life of La Digue Island
- Enjoy excursions galore - Take a bike or ox ride, visit Veuve Reserve, the Union Estate Park and Nid Aigle, or explore nearby islands, including Coco Island, Island Grande Soeur, Marianne Island and Praslin.
- The languid pace of life and the romantic, friendly atmosphere.
- Bask on beaches which have topped CNN’s list of ‘the world’s best beaches’.
Treat yourself to a luxury break in the Seychelles combined with an exciting stay in Dubai
- Take advantage of the close proximity to all the local attractions in Dubai
- Discover a wide range of exquisite dining options in the Seychelles
- Practice yoga in the natural surroundings of Silhouette Island
Explore the natural landscapes and wildlife that South Africa has to offer, before experiencing the Paradise of Seychelles.
- Have the time of your life, combining the best of both worlds!
- The resort is set between a turquoise lagoon and verdant green hills, beside its own bay of white sands. The resort is on the west coast of Mahe, just 35 minutes from the international airport.
- 5 days self drive tour in South Africa
Discover a Kruger adventure in South Africa ahead of a relaxing treat in the Seychelles
- Drift away with a combination of Oriental traditions and modern skincare at the Duniye Spa
- Visit Centre for Endangered Species allowing visitors the opportunity to view and interact with a variety of animals
- Enjoy the thrills of river rafting, tubing, abseiling, zipline, aerial cable trail and quad biking
Prepare yourself for a memorable 8-day holiday with your family at the avani seychelles , where you will be able to...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
The unique all-villa Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa is located on the tropical island of Silhouette, where...
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....
Enjoy completely refurbished guest rooms and comfortable accommodation at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay hotel. The...